What's new

RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378_6687 - Unofficial beta firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I can confirm that this happens to me as well. I can never use the reset button, it leaves the router in an unusable state. The router must be restarted, sometimes several times, and it comes back with just a mess of my settings mixed with default settings.

It only ever works for me to use the GUI to reset, but I will try the WPS method this time. There must be a bad batch where the reset functionality was hosed.
WOW, I just loaded this firmware this morning and waited for it to come up, held the reset button until the power light flashes, waited for it to come back up ~5 minutes, did not configure, pulled power for 30 seconds, let it come back up and I still had to configure as new , no old settings at all.

Do either of you have a laptop cooler under it? Just curious .
One more thing to try
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/dd-wrt-for-rt-ac87r.22421/
do steps 2-5 (the to flash section) and try to flash that way then try the reset button after a few config changes, if it still happens then I would get them replaced with Asus ASAP.

I´m having problems with dlna, USB toshiba canvio 2TB go to idle and dlna disappears. And with a Samsung 7000 series TV some directories looks like empy. With the FW 6440 I don´t have this issues.

Hi, I know you are not going to want to hear this, as I was in your shoes before.
But all my USB / DLNA issues are gone now as I purchased a QNAP media server, it was absolutely the best purchase I have made in a long time, thats how good that QNAP works compared to what you are doing with this router, I was so stubborn before, because that was one of my reasons for spending $300 on this router in the first place, I am soo glad I purchased that QNAP, dlna is always working as it should be, NEVER a drive error (lots of them when I was using the router, LOTS), besides all the other stuff the QNAP does that this router will never do.
Please do yourself a favor and look into it, but please do as you wish. Anyway it was good to post this error.

Cheers all!!!

Edit: I had some weird wifi issues and switched back to merlins, all is fine now, but maybe I need to flash that way, tho I have been doing it fine with the reset button for months now without issue and just flashed back using the reset button and no problem there either, weird.
If I get adventurous again, I will try this beta again with your method and see if that gets it working for me.

EDIT2:
I flashed with my method above and all seems good so far

Last edited:
WOW, I just loaded this firmware this morning and waited for it to come up, held the reset button until the power light flashes, waited for it to come back up ~5 minutes, did not configure, pulled power for 30 seconds, let it come back up and I still had to configure as new , no old settings at all.

Do either of you have a laptop cooler under it? Just curious .

Yes I do. It's running cool.

One more thing to try
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/dd-wrt-for-rt-ac87r.22421/
do steps 2-5 (the to flash section) and try to flash that way then try the reset button after a few config changes, if it still happens then I would get them replaced with Asus ASAP.

It's really not worth it. I purchased it on launch day so I doubt it's under warranty, and like I said it works to reset via the GUI.

Attempted a reset via WPS and it sort-of worked. When it came back up, I reconfigured the new firmware and the 5GHz network was hosed; it was broadcasting but nothing could associate to it. I had to re-flash and reset again via GUI this time, then it worked after config. Using any of the hard buttons to reset always causes me pain. The GUI always has worked for me.

I tried streaming a video after updating to this firmware and didn't get any network errors.
In fact I tried the test twice, once yesterday and again this morning.

So I'm very pleased.

After having complained about this a couple of times now, for different firmwares, I can't say if it was actually the new firmware that resolved the problem or if it was performing the WPS reset.

It was a long time ago now but I remember that doing a WPS reset made a big difference last time I did it when I was having trouble with the wireless.

It would be good to know if there really is any difference, and what it is, between the reset button reset and the WPS reset?

One day and a half using this version...so far so good... Usually i got in the past with other FWs a degradation of 5Ghz in terms of speed but with this FW, so far, not. I'll keep an eye on it and in 2-3 days i will start testing the "advanced" features...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yes I do. It's running cool.

It's really not worth it. I purchased it on launch day so I doubt it's under warranty, and like I said it works to reset via the GUI.

Attempted a reset via WPS and it sort-of worked. When it came back up, I reconfigured the new firmware and the 5GHz network was hosed; it was broadcasting but nothing could associate to it. I had to re-flash and reset again via GUI this time, then it worked after config. Using any of the hard buttons to reset always causes me pain. The GUI always has worked for me.

Have you tried recovery mode? In my experience, when all else fails, simply putting the router into recovery mode and using the firmware restoration utility to flash or reflash the firmware of choice is all that is needed to get it back up and running. If you haven't then perform the following:

1) Download and install the firmware restoration tool from Asus' support site.
2) Power the router down for at least 20-30 seconds.
3) Press & hold the reset button while powering up the router.
4) When the power LED (all the way to the left) slowly blinks release the reset button.
5) Make sure you have an Ethernet connection and manually assign your adapter both an IP & subnet.
6) Run the firmware restoration utility.
7) Bask in your magnificence. :)

Good luck.

Last edited:
After 2 days and 15 hours, this beta is still stable, no 5Ghz disconnection, no slowness in 5Ghz throughput, no weird messages in syslog. I have just one curiosity... there is MU-MIMO activated in this beta? ... Anyway, so far this is the best beta yet, so clearly, Asus did a good job releasing it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After 2 days and 15 hours, this beta is still stable, no 5Ghz disconnection, no slowness in 5Ghz throughput, no weird messages in syslog. I have just one curiosity... there is MU-MIMO activated in this beta? ... Anyway, so far this is the best beta yet, so clearly, Asus did a good job releasing it...

Finally, that's good to hear! :D Now I will just wait patiently for this to make its way through to the Merlin builds :)

I get this in my log, and I had to reboot this morning

Jun 21 18:30:36 miniupnpd[734]: SSDP packet sender 169.254.39.115:34377 not from a LAN, ignoring
Jun 21 18:30:36 miniupnpd[734]: SSDP packet sender 169.254.39.115:34377 not from a LAN, ignoring
Jun 21 02:21:43 miniupnpd[734]: SSDP packet sender 169.254.39.115:38333 not from a LAN, ignoring

Very good firmware, very stable for me. My N66U still has disconnections, so I am beginning to think it could be an issue with the N66U when used as bridge and not my AC87U.

Very good firmware, very stable for me. My N66U still has disconnections, so I am beginning to think it could be an issue with the N66U when used as bridge and not my AC87U.

Your RT-N66U is connected by 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz as bridge to connect to RT-AC87U?

Can provide RT-N66U firmware version?

MU-MIMO isn't enabled in this build.

Your RT-N66U is connected by 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz as bridge to connect to RT-AC87U?

Can provide RT-N66U firmware version?
6395, which is the latest that was posted a few days ago, but it happens with all firmwares... I tried every single one after 4850. 5ghz is giving me problems, but 2.4ghz is fine.

I also have trouble running the N66U in bridge mode. It runs better when using in extender mode.

This is the worst firmware I've ever run, and I've tracked them all from launch.

I've never had more problems with 5GHz than with this firmware. I've rebuilt the image several times now restoring from script and restoring manually, all to the same end: 5GHz drops out several times a day, and when it does limp along, it often drops to sub-50 Mbps speeds, and my desktop AC client (TP-Link AC1900) is just three feet from the antennas. I have connectivity issues across my devices, from Android to iOS to Macbooks to HP laptops and the above PCIe card.

I've always felt like I avoided all the issues that others experienced in past firmwares, which have all been fairly solid on 5GHz. This one is painful though. I'm really wondering if there are multiple hardware revisions out there that interact differently with all these code drops flying out of ASUS lately.

This is the worst firmware I've ever run, and I've tracked them all from launch.

I've never had more problems with 5GHz than with this firmware. I've rebuilt the image several times now restoring from script and restoring manually, all to the same end: 5GHz drops out several times a day, and when it does limp along, it often drops to sub-50 Mbps speeds, and my desktop AC client (TP-Link AC1900) is just three feet from the antennas. I have connectivity issues across my devices, from Android to iOS to Macbooks to HP laptops and the above PCIe card.

I've always felt like I avoided all the issues that others experienced in past firmwares, which have all been fairly solid on 5GHz. This one is painful though. I'm really wondering if there are multiple hardware revisions out there that interact differently with all these code drops flying out of ASUS lately.
Hi, I had a lot of problem as you, when i forgot to take out the devices attached in USB during the firmware upgrade and/or i didn't wiped out the nvram content...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Same here, i also forgot to take out the usb device while updating to 6687 and now 5 Ghz seems to be totaly messed up... i´ll get connected to 5 Ghz only every 5 th reboot or so and DLNA disappears randomly like it was a few firmwares earlier... any suggestions to fix this?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!