What's new

RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378_6687 - Unofficial beta firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why on earth are there so many different experiences with this, I understand people have different environments but are there different hw revisions around or something?

I am really considering purchasing this as my next router as I need something with more cpu.

Why on earth are there so many different experiences with this, I understand people have different environments but are there different hw revisions around or something?

I am really considering purchasing this as my next router as I need something with more cpu.

So far RT-AC87U only has 1 revision

That is exactly what I keep on asking myself, I tend to have more problems than most, I also have set up one of these for a friend that lives ~5 miles from me, they have the same issues with firmware as I do, so my conclusion is others are on other wifi networks and don't know it, that actually work, or others found something in this firmware to tweak and are not saying.
I usually leave all wifi settings to factory defaults, and I don't get it.

I had wifi slow downs last night, as the wife was streaming from my dish network and it was stuttering and stoping randomly, every time I asked to reboot it started working so she said forget it, but then it did it again. then she just went to bed.
This morning seemed good, though.
I only have one neighbor and a very weak other one, I am not flooded at all with wifi, that is really the question, why I have more problems with most likely the least wifi in the neighborhood.

or others found something in this firmware to tweak and are not saying.
I usually leave all wifi settings to factory defaults, and I don't get it.
try with similar settings as the ones in the attached screenshots, if those can be applied in your case.

Using the latest Merlin firmware.

I got adaptive QoS enabled.

Got the router sitting on top of a laptop cooler.

Rebooting automatically every morning via a jffs script.

My apartment block is completely flooded with 2.4GHz APs on all channels, but I'm the only one using the 5GHz spectrum.

Got no stability problems with my 5GHz (anymore).

DHCP lease time is set to 24hrs.

So try all of the above and see if it helps.

Attachments

• _20150622_133409.JPG
    _20150622_133409.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 460
  • _20150622_133518.JPG
    _20150622_133518.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 622
I as many others have gotten into the habit of a double reset. I flash it and go in make sure settings are gone and reset again. Then add back my settings. May even add a wps reset as well as to really what harm can it do. Make sure to remove usb devices. I have a usb aircard i can upgrade FW till cows come home and it will always show the older FW as still being loaded.

Tried 6687 and within 24 hours all of my devices started disconnecting and reconnected. It showed promise at the start, I did a hard reset and re-entered all my configuration settings. I want to like this router and I'm glad ASUS is still trying to fix it but stability is really important and that's something that just hasn't happened.

Been running stable for 4 days now using this firmware. I've also seen the wireless speed on my early 2011 Macbook Pro (802.11n) go from about 180Mbps to 220Mbps, which is a nice bonus. We'll see how long this lasts.

So my N66U keeps disconnecting when used as a bridge connected to the AC87U. I decided to try connecting my N66U with a R7000 and everything is fine. I also tried the R7000 as bridge to AC87U and it keeps disconnecting.

Its definitely the AC87U then. I dont know if RMA will even help, as thats my second AC87U. Not only that, but 5ghz has higher latency (2ms), which seems to be the case with ALL AC87U.

For people who were complaining about a 2ms delay when using the 5GHz network: Are you still getting that issue with this beta firmware?

Also anybody who had problems with Beamforming (5GHz, as always): Still having those problems with this release?

Yep, i get usually 2-3ms ping on the 5Ghz, my 2.4Ghz gets <1ms.

I havent tried with beamforming.

Just to be curious, has someone already compared the 5 Ghz ping times of the Asus 87u with other routers? Particularly the lower Asus series (66/68R)?

Looks like there is a new bug I'm getting with this new firmware. This is when I have a usb2 hard drive plugged into the usb3 port.

Jun 25 10:01:50 kernel: hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1

I never had this before; I did this workaround to fix it, but I'll have to do it on every power reset. By disabling ehci_hcd

cd /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd
ls

You will see a file with 0000:00:xx.x format.
Run the following command:

sh -c 'echo -n "0000:00:0b.1" > unbind'

Then plug in the drive and it works.

Also, anyone getting any messages like this now?
Jun 25 11:07:55 miniupnpd[812]: SSDP packet sender 169.254.39.15:44023 not from a LAN, ignoring

I have no idea what that IP is from.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!