What's new

RT-AC88U 5Ghz wifi problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Master3395

Regular Contributor
Hello, i recently upgraded my RT-AC88U router's OS to the latest, and now 5G drops after around 24 hours.
I have done a clean reset after the upgrade.

I do not get why it suddenly stops.
2.4Ghz works fine, and if I restart the router, 5Ghz works fine again.

Any ideas to what I can do to get it to be more stable?

Glad I'm not the only one having 5GHz drop outs. My Apple devices keep switching to 4G.

I want to upgrade to AX86U but Currys have for some reason said it's discontinued and wont be restocked. Been "OOS" for about 2 months then got email it's discontinued (?).

I will be doing a full refresh tomorrow hopefully, wanna refresh the router as just upgraded to Virgin Media's Gig1.

My AC88 is working well on latest RMerlin FW.
I experiment with the alphas/betas, but I always do a full reset at each FW Release.
L&LD's Guide This is guide to follow, if you are experiencing issues, and want to reset.

Last edited:
My AC88 is working well on latest RMerlin FW.
I experiment with the alphas/betas, but I always do a full reset at each FW Release.
L&LD's Guide This is guide to follow, if you are experiencing issues, and want to reset.

Just tried these again, and that made my router even worse O_e
Now the net works sometimes on 2.4 and 5G, but also the admin panel freezes...

The AC88U has been out for a long amount of time (noticed your AC66, too).
Perhaps you should say farewell, and upgrade.
The GT-AX6000 just dropped $50!

Actually my AC66U runs fine xD i only use it as an AP and extender.
But the issue isn't how old my AC88U is.
Also all router are expensive here in Norway. I got my 88U back in 2018 or 2019 brand new. Because it was in sale. The AX88U came out at the same time but cost 111$ more than what i used. And 88U cost me 333$ brand new. While AX costed 444$.

Both routers did work fine until this latest build of 88U.

I wasn't saying anything negative about your devices, I think both are good! I was just stating that perhaps your 88 has been working well, but electronics do deteriorate.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!