What's new

RT-AC88U alternative

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's hard to suggest something when we don't know where exactly this AP is going to be located, how far this garden is and how large it is. As you said above, better get the RT-AC66U B1 router from Amazon, see if it works for you, send it back if it doesn't. Then we celebrate the success or go back to drawing board to explore other options. APs with 2 x LAN ports are available, but most require PoE (Power over Ethernet) and make things a bit more complicated (additional power supply + PoE injector adapter needed).
I'm just buying 2 flat ethernet cables to extend them from wall box to the adjacent room where I will put the router.
Ok, I take RT-AC66U B1 and do the necessary tests, so AP with 2 simple ethernets do not exist?
I take everything on Amazon that for Christmas the return deadline is until the end of January 2020... ;)

There are some AP with only 2 ethernet ports, but not less 50€ and from other vendors (not really a problem).
So I think its better in your case to get a second cheap Asus like RT-AC66U_B1 which you could use as main router as well if your 88U is going to die suddenly what can happen all the time.
It will give you this additional benefit to be online again very fast with similar hardware for only some € more.

If you got enough spare money I would still upgrade and take the AC86U (~150€) or AX88U (someone got it for only 229€) to be future proof some more years.

There are some AP with only 2 ethernet ports, but not less 50€ and from other vendors (not really a problem).
So I think its better in your case to get a second cheap Asus like RT-AC66U_B1 which you could use as main router as well if your 88U is going to die suddenly what can happen all the time.
It will give you this additional benefit to be online again very fast with similar hardware for only some € more.

If you got enough spare money I would still upgrade and take the AC86U (~150€) or AX88U (someone got it for only 229€) to be future proof some more years.
About my RT-AC88U... I'm touching it superstitiously...;)
Ok, I'll take the RT-AC66U_B1 and I'll do some tests.
I'll let you know.
However what models exist of AP with only 2 ethernet ports?
I'm curious...

I read on another forum that Asus says that 68U does not support Access Point mode.
Does the RT-AC66U B1 support access point mode?
To have a single 192.168.0.x network with 2 different WiFi SSIDs (one on the RT-AC88U and one on the RT-AC66U B1) I have to connect it as an access point, right?

Modem provider (192.168.1.1) ==> RT-AC88U (SSID one) (192.168.0.1) ==> RT-AC66U B1 (SSID two) (192.168.0.2)

66U_B1 and 68U uses identical firmware, they both can be switched to AP mode if you can do wired or repeater mode for WiFi connection to main router.

66U_B1 and 68U uses identical firmware, they both can be switched to AP mode if you can do wired or repeater mode for WiFi connection to main router.
On the Merlin download page, however, I see version 380 for U66 and version 384 for U68.
So can I put the 68 version on 66 without the brick?

I've had an RT-AC88U for a couple of years - it replace an RT-N66U. Over the past year I have used both of them with the AC88 as the primary router/WAN connection and the N66 as an AP.

Recently the AC88 has begun acting up - losing both 2.4 and 5 Ghz wireless (hardwired keeps working). With multiple power resets (the CPU shows 100% and I cannot perform any action with the web GUI) it will eventually restart and show normal (minimal) CPU activity. Twice when I have gotten it working, I haven't had wireless and I've found both radios disabled in the configuration - turning them back on restores normality until the next 'event'.

In searching here, it seems the AC88 has a checkered reputation for wireless stability.

Is there a recommendation for replacement??
> I like the AC88 wifi performance when it works
> We have limited 5G activity - iphones and Alexa devices. No video streaming (all done wired)/ no gaming.
> Have an extensive number of 'smart home' devices on the 2.4G band. I moved security cameras from 2.4 to hardwired.
> Typically have around 70 total clients.

The recent experience indicates I need a backup available - my thought is to relegate the current AC88 to an on-the-shelf backup and get a new primary router - just not sure what current thought is for a solid, high-performance device.

TIA for any suggestions.
Wyatt

Gonna go out on a limb here and suggest an AX88. I too have a considerable amount of smart home devices, and I upgraded to an AX88 for the memory increase. I feel that it makes the network noticeably more responsive. The AX88 goes on sale every so often, and I think the memory alone makes it worth while.

Only if it's an RT-AC66U_B1, all others without B1 in the name NO!
Sorry... to be sure... so if I buy a RT-AC66U_B1 I can have to put the merlin firmware on RT-AC68U while the RT-AC66U can't be flashed with merlin?
Sorry but I wouldn't want to make a mess.

Gonna go out on a limb here and suggest an AX88. I too have a considerable amount of smart home devices, and I upgraded to an AX88 for the memory increase. I feel that it makes the network noticeably more responsive. The AX88 goes on sale every so often, and I think the memory alone makes it worth while.
As you can see from the thread's answers, now my need has changed.

easy check: If it states AIMESH compatibility on the box than its the right one, legacy RT-AC66U doesnt support Aimesh.
No problem!
I trust you, this forum is serious and you can see that you are too.
I just wanted to be sure since as you know by now I want to spend "little" and have Merlin.
I was puzzled by the fact that on another forum they mention assistance from Asus which says that 68U cannot be configured as an AP but it sounds strange to me...
Given your kindness, I ask you something for a friend on another forum.
The DSL-AC68U model, since we cannot install Merlin, is it still possible to use it as an AP?
ASUS Italia assistance says no, but to me it sounds like bullsh*t.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally got an RT-AC68U for € 122.99 on Amazon.
Where can I get the adapters to fix a wall since the RJ45 sockets are under the router?

Something like this??? (much too expensive): https://www.ebay.it/sch/i.html?_fro...313&_nkw=RT-AC68U+wall+mount+bracket&_sacat=0
Or search to print it yourself if you got a 3D-printer: https://www.yeggi.com/q/asus+rt+ac68u+wall+mount+bracket+custom/ or http://www.printobjects.me/catalogue/uasus-rt-ac68u-wall-mount-bracket_149854/

For DSL-AC68U you can use GNUton's fork based on Merlin! https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dsl-ac68u-asuswrt-merlin-builds-for-dsl-routers.55985/
Or simply disable DHCP and let it in router mode connected to master via any LAN-port.

Something like this??? (much too expensive): https://www.ebay.it/sch/i.html?_fro...313&_nkw=RT-AC68U+wall+mount+bracket&_sacat=0
Or search to print it yourself if you got a 3D-printer: https://www.yeggi.com/q/asus+rt+ac68u+wall+mount+bracket+custom/ or http://www.printobjects.me/catalogue/uasus-rt-ac68u-wall-mount-bracket_149854/

For DSL-AC68U you can use GNUton's fork based on Merlin! https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dsl-ac68u-asuswrt-merlin-builds-for-dsl-routers.55985/
Or simply disable DHCP and let it in router mode connected to master via any LAN-port.
Seeing how much they cost on eBay, I should buy a 3D printer and put them on sale it... ;)
However, the 2-arm model actually separated with shipping in Italy costs about € 24, not a little, but it seems to me to be better (you understand how to mount it with the single model made with the 3D printer ???).
About the DSL thanks, but as I wrote I took the RT-AC68U!
In the end, after much writing, I saw it for € 122 and I took it... ;)

P.S.
I didn't understand, but the 66U_B1 has the doors in the same position as the 68U or does it have more convenient wall mounts without brackets behind like the 66U?
What hardware differences does it have with the 68U?

Last edited: