What's new

RT-AC88U alternative

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

66U_B1 has same firmware and almost same hardware (only missing one USB port) but in laying housing of 66U models.
Backside pic: http://img1.how01.com/imgs/50/c4/1/111000064c1d952fa918.jpg

You could use cable ties through the slots and mount them with a sheet metal strip without buying anything.
However, too late ...
Why too late?
I took the RT-AC68U on Amazon and paid € 122.99 but I still haven't opened the box.
So I also took the RT-AC66U_B1 2 minutes ago on Amazon at € 90.90 and I get it tomorrow.
That being said, when I get the RT-AC66U_B1 I flash the Merlin 68U and give it a try, since it's practical to assemble, it costs less and I don't spend money even for any support to be purchased separately.

I connected the 66U_B1 to the 88U through the WAN port in AP mode (so it has become a LAN ...), all ok.
I have updated to Merlin firmware and however I have to ask you something ...

1) I thought that some features that are on the 88U would also be found on the 66U_B1 after updating to Merlin but it is not so. For example, Adaptive QoS, Traffic Analyzer, Game Boost, Alexa & IFTTT are missing ... is it because it is in AP mode or are they more expensive models like my other 88U?
2) Even though I updated my new 66U_B1 to Merlin firmware, it remained multilingual, while my 88U is only in English and Chinese (I had it on Gearbest years ago). Is it possible to put the 88U back in multilingual? Where does Merlin understand that he must expose all languages?

Thanks again for all the help and Merry Christmas !!! ;)

1) I thought that some features that are on the 88U would also be found on the 66U_B1 after updating to Merlin but it is not so. For example, Adaptive QoS, Traffic Analyzer, Game Boost, Alexa & IFTTT are missing ... is it because it is in AP mode or are they more expensive models like my other 88U?
I believe these are not applicable except in router mode. But you also need to activate BWDPI (Tools > Other settings > scroll to Asus Features > enable BWDPI > Apply).

I believe these are not applicable except in router mode. But you also need to activate BWDPI (Tools > Other settings > scroll to Asus Features > enable BWDPI > Apply).
What is BWDPI?
However, neither on the RT-AC88U in router mode, nor on the RT-AC66_B1 in AP mode.

I connected the 66U_B1 to the 88U through the WAN port in AP mode (so it has become a LAN ...), all ok.
I have updated to Merlin firmware and however I have to ask you something ...

2) Even though I updated my new 66U_B1 to Merlin firmware, it remained multilingual, while my 88U is only in English and Chinese (I had it on Gearbest years ago). Is it possible to put the 88U back in multilingual? Where does Merlin understand that he must expose all languages?

Thanks again for all the help and Merry Christmas !!! ;)

Languages are supported by Asus (not Merlin) and they limited it on some routers depending on their region setting. My 86U had all languages at the begining and some firmwares later only chinese and english has left over.
An AP is not a router, so it doesnt route. Those services needs routing ... not available on APs!

Languages are supported by Asus (not Merlin) and they limited it on some routers depending on their region setting. My 86U had all languages at the begining and some firmwares later only chinese and english has left over.
An AP is not a router, so it doesnt route. Those services needs routing ... not available on APs!
Yes, I had understood both in the end after some research.
My RT-AC88U same thing since it is Chinese, while the RT-AC66U_B1 is EU that got it on Amazon and has all the languages.
However I have connected everything and everything is working fine.
I'm happy and thanks to you too ...;)
Now I have to buy the ethernet cable because I have to use a part where I put the RT-AC66U_B1 but I also want to keep it to bring the signal upstairs.
Unfortunately even if it should not be done because it has no standard and also a little dangerous, I will have to pass the ethernet cable in the corrugated where the 220v electricity cables already pass.
I am undecided and ask you: what cable should I take?
I have to bring a signal to 1 GB for 50 meters.
I didn't understand if it is better to have a shielded cat 5e or an unshielded cat 6e, or a cat 6a ...

They will do it all for 50m and 1G.
As you want to pull it along mains better use a little more expensive proper shielded.
Up to 55m CAT6e will be fine for 10G too while CAT5e may be good for 1G and CAT6 for 2.5G.
CAT6a and 7 may be thicker with greater bending radius, so I would take CAT6e for your location and some future proofness for 10G (they have to be shielded too).
Dont use any power line adapters at the same time anywhere in your house!

Last edited:
They will do it all for 50m and 1G.
As you want to pull it along mains better use a little more expensive proper shielded.
Up to 55m CAT6e will be fine for 10G too while CAT5e may be good for 1G and CAT6 for 2.5G.
CAT6a and 7 may be thicker with greater bending radius, so I would take CAT6e for your location and some future proofness for 10G (they have to be shielded too).
Dont use any power line adapters at the same time anywhere in your house!
So... I live in Italy and in order not to buy cables of dubious quality on Amazon (I only find CCA) I will entrust myself to BTICINO, a well-known brand of quality that you can buy here from me.
Being a serious brand, it does not produce cat 6e cables since it is not a recognized standard but an abbreviation that some manufacturers use.
Having said that, my choice can be made between:

- cat6a shielded F/UTP sheath LSZH
- cat6a shielded F/FTP sheath LSZH

- cat6 shielded F/UTP sheath LSZH
- cat6 not shielded U/UTP sheath LSZH
- cat6 not shielded U/UTP sheath PVC

- cat5e not shielded U/UTP sheath LSZH
- cat5e not shielded U/UTP sheath PVC

Above the cat6a standard I don't even look.
The problem is that the cables will have to pass along with those of the 220v electricity (Italy) and if I take a cable that is too rigid I am afraid that I will not be able to pass them...
I'm almost determined to take cat6 not shielded U/UTP sheath LSZH...
You advise me that until now you have been a really good friend.
I'll send you a supply of Christmas beers... ;)

Cheers!
Then I would take the first one as it should be shielded.
Second may be thicker an more rigid as pairs are shielded too.

Last edited:
Cheers!
Then I would take the first one as it should be shielded.
Second may be thicker an more rigid as pairs are shielded too.
Best wishes to you, but do you mean cat6a?
It is frankly too much for a home.
I am undecided between:

- cat6 shielded F/UTP sheath LSZH
- cat6 not shielded U/UTP sheath LSZH

I just have to understand if the first one, shielded, is too rigid and therefore creates difficulties for me to pass through the currogates.

yes 6a

I am concerned about good shielding against your mains along (or beside). Thats why I prefer 6a over 6, I think usually their shielding is somehow better.
To use an ushielded anyway is nogo in my opinion.

Use cable lubricant, its fantastic help where you otherwise have far no chance to get it in: https://eshop.wuerth.at/is-bin/INTE...etail-Start?ItemUUID=w80KD90nPz8AAAFv7QHoOVt8
Put enough in your hand and let the cable go through before entering.
First use single wire with it to have it inside your installation already.

yes 6a

I am concerned about good shielding against your mains along (or beside). Thats why I prefer 6a over 6, I think usually their shielding is somehow better.
To use an ushielded anyway is nogo in my opinion.

Use cable lubricant, its fantastic help where you otherwise have far no chance to get it in: https://eshop.wuerth.at/is-bin/INTE...etail-Start?ItemUUID=w80KD90nPz8AAAFv7QHoOVt8
Put enough in your hand and let the cable go through before entering.
First use single wire with it to have it inside your installation already.
You're really making me doubt...
Using a cat6a seems frankly too much and too difficult since the thickness changes a lot, moreover I should take all the fruits from the wall accordingly because the thickness of the shielded pairs increases and those for cat6 are not good.
However of the BTICINO I could take:

- 032778 - cat6a shielded F/UTP - LSZH sheath - 500m
- 032883 - cat6a shielded F/FTP - LSZH sheath - 500m

- 032856 - cat6 shielded F/UTP - LSZH sheath - 305m
- 032754 - cat6 unshielded U/UTP - LSZH sheath - 305m
- 032872 - cat6 unshielded U/UTP - PVC sheath - 1000m

As you can see 032778 and 032856 are cat6a and cat6 but with equal shielding.
Honestly I looked at the technical data sheets and I don't know any physical differences I checked well and they are both F / UTP with the same description and photos, so I wonder how two different specifications can be.
I think it's better that I go to see him live in a shop to understand ...
Happy New Year!!! ;) ;) ;)

P.S.
The LINK that put me doesn't load the article, but it doesn't matter... ;)

sorry, this should work: https://eshop.wuerth.at/Cable-lubri...SearchTerm=Cable+lubricant&CampaignName=SR001

Best to see them in the shop yes. Measure thickness and test to bend.
Maybe Cat6 and 6a are the same, only different product IDs.;)

F/UTP has only shielding around, not each pair shielded while F/FTP has each pair shielded too.
So it shouldnt be thick. Foil shielding around does not really make it thicker.
U/UTP completely unshielded I would avoid!!!

But no need for 500m, take 100m from amazon or conrad or any shop you get it.

Last edited:
sorry, this should work: https://eshop.wuerth.at/Cable-lubri...SearchTerm=Cable+lubricant&CampaignName=SR001

Best to see them in the shop yes. Measure thickness and test to bend.
Maybe Cat6 and 6a are the same, only different product IDs.;)

F/UTP has only shielding around, not each pair shielded while F/FTP has each pair shielded too.
So it shouldnt be thick. Foil shielding around does not really make it thicker.
U/UTP completely unshielded I would avoid!!!

But no need for 500m, take 100m from amazon or conrad or any shop you get it.
This is what I don't understand.
Cat6 is 1 GB while cat6a is 10 GB.
I don't understand how cat6a can be physically identical to cat6 and have a 10 times larger band.
Having said that yes, I have to go to an electrical supply store and see what it is like.
I would not put the unshielded cable too, but I want to understand if it passes or not.
Thank you for the link!
Even on New Year's Eve we are sick of networking... ;)

I don't understand how cat6a can be physically identical to cat6 and have a 10 times larger band.

Tests made at different frequencies to validate that it truly supports that speed.

Cat6a is tested to fulfill 10G specs over 100m while Cat6 can do only 1G for that length, this doesnt mean you cant use Cat6 for lets say 30m and 10G too.
Maybe Cat6a has a plastic cross in the middle to separate pairs from each other or better shielding or better twisting or foil around pairs or whatever to fulfill the specs.
Or simply same for different prices one tested/proved and the other only working for your purpose.

Here you can compare some of them, all Cat6a 100m but different structur (without shielding, pairs shielded, common shield) and Ø esterno from 6-8mm, look at first 4 range 65-100€, sort by price first: https://www.conrad.it/o/cavi-di-rete-non-confezionati-2510420?ATT_CALC_CONTENT_any=100 m,100 m&ATT_NETWORK_SPECIFICATION_any=CAT 6A,CAT 6A&ATT_NUMBER_WIRES_PART1_any=8 x,8 x

Cat6a is tested to fulfill 10G specs over 100m while Cat6 can do only 1G for that length, this doesnt mean you cant use Cat6 for lets say 30m and 10G too.
Maybe Cat6a has a plastic cross in the middle to separate pairs from each other or better shielding or better twisting or foil around pairs or whatever to fulfill the specs.
Or simply same for different prices one tested/proved and the other only working for your purpose.

Here you can compare some of them, all Cat6a 100m but different structur (without shielding, pairs shielded, common shield) and Ø esterno from 6-8mm, look at first 4 range 65-100€, sort by price first: https://www.conrad.it/o/cavi-di-rete-non-confezionati-2510420?ATT_CALC_CONTENT_any=100 m,100 m&ATT_NETWORK_SPECIFICATION_any=CAT 6A,CAT 6A&ATT_NUMBER_WIRES_PART1_any=8 x,8 x
I am Italian and not knowing ethernet cable brands, I looked for BTICINO brand.
I don't know the brands TRU COMPONENTS and LAPP, are they all pure copper cables (NO CCA)?

Lapp (German) and Digitus are well known, but I would even take TruComp without any concerns.
Most EU-coutries may have their own local brands.
Dont know what no cca means, but use english page and on product page select more parameters to see all of them: https://www.conrad.com/o/unassembled-network-cables-2510420?ATT_CALC_CONTENT_any=100 m,100 m,Sold per metre,Sold per metre&ATT_NETWORK_SPECIFICATION_any=CAT 6A,CAT 6A

Dont think about too much, makes only headaches!
Take one and be happy starting in New Year!

Lapp (German) and Digitus are well known, but I would even take TruComp without any concerns.
Most EU-coutries may have their own local brands.
Dont know what no cca means, but use english page and on product page select more parameters to see all of them: https://www.conrad.com/o/unassembled-network-cables-2510420?ATT_CALC_CONTENT_any=100 m,100 m,Sold per metre,Sold per metre&ATT_NETWORK_SPECIFICATION_any=CAT 6A,CAT 6A

Dont think about too much, makes only headaches!
Take one and be happy starting in New Year!
No headaches, but since I spend money, I don't want cable in CCA: https://tinyurl.com/yc4ksxt2