What's new

RT-AC88u - connection issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scott Hunter

Occasional Visitor
Im Not sure when this started. But noticed it this week as im adding NODEs
So it a AC88u. latest stock firmware (nodes are Ac86u /Ac68U) was not installed prior to hurricane. Ran just the 88u.
Using Home Assistant
Tasmota flashed switches( Martin Jerry and Treatlife)

A. Issue.. Switches connect and i see them in router but have trouble when going to the main page(ip address) sometimes loads and sometimes don't.
B. While in the ASUS router page looking at connected clients , The router will shortly show none connected (even wired) then 2 sec later show connections. Some times showing all 25 connection and sometimes only coming back with 10-15 connected.
C. AC88U full reset using WPS button. Then again after loaded doing a reset in the main menu. Used New SSID and Password. New Login info. Stock settings.

Not sure when started as Once I originally set all switches up no need to visit their ip page. And i never would log into router and watch the screen.

1. Recent events that may have caused issue. A direct hit from Hurricane IDA. Power out for 13 days. Each of those days i ran a generator powering some switches. That meant power droped 2 times a day to cool down and fuel generator.
2. I would have thought the switches but I did full reset on them then re-set them up.
3. Not all switches are doing it. I have about 2 that seam to have no issues.

Ive had a AC88u replaced once and this is the replacement about 1-2 years old. Its had the dreaded no wifi connection. As i type this first log-in to router had 15 clients. Now 8 clients. Included hard wired.(4)

Its Odd. Also after reset of router i wated almost 1 hour before adding Nodes. Then another 15-30 mins before any wifi devices.

Im gonna attach the log. From the 16th to current time

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    81.7 KB · Views: 107
Are you using ports 5-8 on the router? If you are, then test without using those ports.

Are you using ports 5-8 on the router? If you are, then test without using those ports.
I was. Since creating thread I removed all nodes. And only using port 1-4. May I ask why 5-8 matters ? I haven't been home long since changing but I'm trying to monitor activity.

Ports 5-8 are on an add-on (internal) switch and are known to be flakey.

Thank you. I hope you find something useful too that helps your situation. :)

Ports 5-8 are on an add-on (internal) switch and are known to be flakey.

Thank you. I hope you find something useful too that helps your situation. :)
Wow. So far so good. Just got all switches (tasmota ) reset and hooked back to wifi. (No nodes) at first.
Fired up each node(backhauled wired) and wired preferred.
****With the kicker from you about not using 5-8 all seams well. Pretty sure that was the reason. Will check logs in morning /tomorrow but may be good.

Can i go from main to node 1 wired- then node 1- node 2 wired? So I can have less wired on one router? Keep the main at 4 only.

Yes, if the node you're attaching a second node to is also using wired backhaul, that should work fine.

Glad this is working well for you (so far). :)

Don't forget you can add a (cheap) 5-port or an 8-port switch too to the router and use ports 1 & 2 for the wired backhaul, and ports 3 & 4 with any wired devices you may need to directly attach to the router too.

Router P1 - Switch 1 - Wired Backhaul for AiMesh nodes.

Router P2 - Switch 2 - Wired Backhaul for additional AiMesh nodes (if needed).

Router P3 - Switch 3 (optional) - For directly attached Wired client devices (NAS, PC's, Consoles, etc.).

Router P4 - Switch 4 (optional) - For additional Wired client devices (that cannot be attached directly to the main router, any of the wired nodes, etc.).

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!