What's new

RT-AC88U Port Forward - OpenVPN Client - Mullvad VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can I just ask whether people who have got this working in this thread have it working consistently? I can get it working for a few hours but then my ports show as closed again without me doing anything. I've tried re-applying the port forwarding settings at my VPN provider (Ivacy) but it makes no difference. Seems to come back sometimes after a router reboot but not consistently.

Just to confirm here as well, the forwarding has also been working perfectly since I resolved the script syntax issue. I would also recommend checking with your VPN provider. If you want to rule it out you could pay for 1 month of Mullvad and setup the VPN on the router with their service. If it works then you know it's your VPN provider that is the issue.

The only "problem" I have run into that when the IP assigned to you via your VPN provider changes, you need to make sure you are aware of that so that you attempt to connect to your application on the new public IP. The port forwarding continues to work on Mullvad when they assign you a new public IP. To be clear, I don't view this as an actual issue.

The only "problem" I have run into that when the IP assigned to you via your VPN provider changes, you need to make sure you are aware of that so that you attempt to connect to your application on the new public IP. The port forwarding continues to work on Mullvad when they assign you a new public IP. To be clear, I don't view this as an actual issue.

Depending upon how comfortable you are with scripts take a look at the openvpn-event script. You can configure a dynamic dns service. I personally use duckdns for my usage. That way way i dont need to update ip's if the vpn server i connect to changes.

Very cool tip amoney! I haven't quite figured out how the script should look for duckdns but that's a great way to work around the issue.