What's new

RT-AC88U running 384.19 (Merlin)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Justinb

Occasional Visitor
Hi Everyone,

I have taken the router back to factory and re-created all settings yet I'm still seeing the same issue. I think it is a Trend Micro issue classifying web traffic but perhaps it is something else.

Setup
Single WIFI Router running off a DSL (cable) PPPoE
Mixture of iPhones, Macs and Windows 10 (Surfaces)

Issue
I have both of my daughters devices setup under AI Protection --> Parental control where I have Streaming ticked to block YouTube, Netflix etc. This used to work. Now YouTube isn't blocked. NetFlix is.

Interestingly what I've also noticed is that under Traffic Analyser --> Statistics this screen shows data usage and then also the App name and the data used. This shows NetFlix as a name and the amount of data. YouTube isn't listed. Based on the data volume that I"m seeing I think it is being classified as General or possibly Web File Transfer.

So I think the router itself (or the router is querying TM) isn't classifying the traffic correctly. ? Has anyone else seen this? Any advice?

Last edited:
YouTube on Chrome is often classified as General/Untracked now due to Chrome’s use of QUIC (443/udp) instead of the usual recognizable port 443/tcp.

I think if you want more control over QoS, you'll need to use one of the custom QoS options, as they either have the traffic quirks already reclassified and/or allow you more finer control over QoS. I haven't gone down this path myself though and just live with ASUS' Adaptive QoS implementation.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!