What's new

RT-AC88U with slower LAN speed than ISP router on Bridge Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FaustoPT

New Around Here
I have a portuguese ISP (MEO) and my internet was just upgraded to Gigabit (1000 Mbps down and 200 up).

Basically my Desktop connected to my RT-AC88U pulls about 500 Mbps download and 200 Mbps upload.

The same Desktop connected to my ISP's router (connected on LAN PORT 4 for IPTV) pulls about 800 Mbps download and 200 Upload.

How can this be? What am I missing here? Can anyone help me?

Using the latest firmware version: 386.9.

When was the last time you did a factory reset and re-configure from scratch (not backup). That often resolves some throughput issues.

Keep in mind many features will slow you down. Aiprotection, traffic monitor, parental controls, etc. So you may have to disable some of those to get full speed. Not sure if that router offers hardware acceleration but some features will disable that also, without it your speed will be severely impacted.

I'd say start with a factory reset and add features one by one to see what is slowing you down. But that router may simply not be capable of more than 500M throughput too, it is older.

When was the last time you did a factory reset and re-configure from scratch (not backup). That often resolves some throughput issues.

Keep in mind many features will slow you down. Aiprotection, traffic monitor, parental controls, etc. So you may have to disable some of those to get full speed. Not sure if that router offers hardware acceleration but some features will disable that also, without it your speed will be severely impacted.

I'd say start with a factory reset and add features one by one to see what is slowing you down. But that router may simply not be capable of more than 500M throughput too, it is older.
Thank you very much, I disabled pretty much everything and now can get speeds of 800Mbps easily, seems like something was slowing me down.

Thank you very much, I disabled pretty much everything and now can get speeds of 800Mbps easily, seems like something was slowing me down.

If you haven't factory reset in a while, try it. When I went from 384 to 386 my speeds were harmed, disabling everything fixed it, but then after a factory reset I could re-enable everything and still get full throughput. Granted this was on my old RT-AC1900 and I only have 300M internet (from what I can see I'd cap out around 500M with AIprotection etc enabled).

I've discovered simiiar issues with recent Merlin 386 update on AC-88U. My fibre BT (UK) upload dropped from 100Mbps to 1Mbps and the remedy is to TURN OFF hardware NAT in LAN settings which lowers download bitrate but restores original upload bitrate, I am going to identify exact 386 subversion that caused it but will be 9, 10 or 11 and would like to report this as bug. Can anyone advice please how does one report issues like this to Merlin team?
--
RT-AC88U

I'd probably start by resetting the router back to factory defaults and then setting BT back up from scratch (not a reload from backups). Hardware Accelerated Network Address Translation should not slow down your upload speeds!