What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BB in the US has the RT-AC87R/U on clearance now. I thought that was interesting, since not even the RT-AC68U is on clearance yet. Perhaps the RT-AC88U will be a replacement for that one at the same price point?? We can hope...

I did see this I just bought an RT-AC87R/U from Best Buy on clearance this past friday. I got the geek squad protection which will replace the unit with the newer model should I have any issues with it dropping wireless or anything else down the road.

That router is a beast, they did a good job by choosing broadcom chips, the only thing that I hate is the location of the USB 3.0 but I know they did it to help with the interference, I'm surprised that they didn't use usb type-c to gain space, and I'm also wondering if USB 3.1 causes the same interference than USB 3.0 and if it does I hope to see it on a Asus RT-AC89U and if it 3.1 doesn't fix the interference there is no point for router to have it yet or anytime soon.

Last edited:
I expect the price to be above that of the RT-AC87U, especially as this model will have more Ethernet ports, and sport a faster CPU.

Depends on how they want the product mix going into Q4-2015/Q1-2016, but moving from the AC3200/87U/68U to the RT-AC5300/88U/3100 makes sense at similar price points...

And from a development/support perspective - sound approach...

Maybe 68U downmarket into the sub-150 space to make room, as it's a stable/mature design there...

The RT-AC87U seems to be the one that doesn't fit... and perhaps bringing closure to the whole QTN experiment...

That router is a beast, they did a good job by choosing broadcom chips, the only thing that I hate is the location of the USB 3.0 but I know they did it to help with the interference, I'm surprised that they didn't use usb type-c to gain space, and I'm also wondering if USB 3.1 causes the same interference than USB 3.0 and if it does I hope to see it on a Asus RT-AC89U and if it 3.1 doesn't fix the interference there is no point for router to have it yet or anytime soon.
You test it ?
Can You provide test result ?

I have a feeling this router going to be successful as Windows 7 to me. win xp which was good as (ac68u), win vista was a big failure to me as (ac87u) and win 7 greatness may be as (ac88u)

------
Incoming (my ac87u been running for 2 years with no problem at all) [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a feeling this router going to be successful as Windows 7 to me. win xp which was good as (ac68u), win vista was a big failure to me as (ac87u) and win 7 greatness may be as (ac88u)

------

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RT-AC87U hasn't been available for 2 years. How can you have one running with no problems at all for that long and still equate it to win vista as a big failure? :)

RT-AC87U hasn't been available for 2 years. How can you have one running with no problems at all for that long and still equate it to win vista as a big failure? :)

Check your dates on the receipts - AC87U is a 2015 device ;)

:rolleyes:

it's a joke :D - predicting that someone going to come out saying it's been working with him for that long (Not Me)

I am going to wait for best buy to get rid of the AC-87R completely and then do a geek squad claim for my AC-87R to the AC-88U hopefully when they have it.

I hope they go for it.
Well they told me when I bought it that it would cover any issues even wifi disconnecting and if they don't have that model anymore they replace it with the newer model. It was on clearance when I bought it so that means it won't be long until they don't have it anymore.

I'll be waiting to hear your impressions.

Sure thing, my main draw is the 8 lan ports. I currently have 7 devices hardwired at my router with a switch so it will be nice to get rid of that and drop my "plugged in" device count down from 12 to 11.

Last edited:
Well they told me when I bought it that it would cover any issues even wifi disconnecting and if they don't have that model anymore they replace it with the newer model. It was on clearance when I bought it so that means it won't be long until they don't have it anymore.

How are you going to explain that you experienced problems that are so bad for nearly a year that it justifies switching to a different model?

Just saying that you might be in for a bad surprise once you try to request a model swap.

How are you going to explain that you experienced problems that are so bad for nearly a year that it justifies switching to a different model?

Just saying that you might be in for a bad surprise once you try to request a model swap.
I don't have to request a different model, as long as there is issues with the router and they don't have that model available they give me the newest model available. I am not sure what they do for testing, but if the wireless keeps giving problems, I shouldn't have to explain much hopefully.

I don't have to request a different model, as long as there is issues with the router and they don't have that model available they give me the newest model available. I am not sure what they do for testing, but if the wireless keeps giving problems, I shouldn't have to explain much hopefully.

Best of luck. I guess it will depend on who will take in your request for a replacement. If they don't have the same model in stock and you don't mention that you were able to live with the same problem for a whole year but that it was recent, you might get lucky.

Expect the RT-AC88U and RT-AC3100 to ship really soon now in the US. The RT-AC5300 will take a little longer.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!