What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ok I will try to get that done for you RMerlin some time today.

No problem. I wanted to do it myself this weekend, but since a new GPL was dropped into my lap this morning, looks like I might be doing other things this weekend in addition to taking care of a cold.

No problem. I wanted to do it myself this weekend, but since a new GPL was dropped into my lap this morning, looks like I might be doing other things this weekend in addition to taking care of a cold.
Yeah does that mean a new firmware for my new beast?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Ok I'm new to that software but hopefully I will get it done. Appreciate what you do for ASUS routers and hope you feel better.

Yeah does that mean a new firmware for my new beast?

The new GPL is mostly intended for a new revision of another model. Don't expect much change over what's already used in the 380.57 beta builds.

Ok I'm new to that software but hopefully I will get it done. Appreciate what you do for ASUS routers and hope you feel better.

It's quite easy to use, which is why I like to use it for quick tests. Run it on a PC set as server, run it on another PC as the client, give it the IP of the server, and off you go - all through a very simple UI.

No problem mate keep up the good work you release our router to be all it can be

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

test case: desktop pc(server) ->LAN->AC68U -> LAN -> AC88U->WIFI 5ghz->Sony Vaio Intel AC7260(client)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 489
I recommend testing only Send or Receive, don't test both at once.

As i said, 8-10% more speed...at least is what i see in my environment... i don't have lab chamber like Tim...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mikrotik(for routing) + AC88U(for 5Ghz) + AC68U(for 2.4Ghz) + Cisco switch(for NAS link aggregation)

i don't know if this could be considered something in error margins

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mikrotik(for routing) + AC88U(for 5Ghz) + AC68U(for 2.4Ghz) + Cisco switch(for NAS link aggregation)

I recommend testing only Send or Receive, don't test both at once.
i recomend using iperf or iperf 3 and doing send and receive at the same time is encouraged but not required

with QSR1000 in my WEB6000Q (verified the chip with actiontec) i get 550 in both directions at the same time, over any test duration.

and it would be nice if people posted more wifi iperf results with these newer routers

EDIT: Jperf is also really nice!

Last edited:
cached_linechart_bench_119_1920_2283_2398.jpg

cached_linechart_bench_120_1920_2283_2398.jpg

Maybe something not so right with the newer wireless drivers used in AC88U (as R8500 uses the older drivers)...?

Maybe something not so right with the newer wireless drivers used in AC88U (as R8500 uses the older drivers)...?

Less than a week ago, Tim used an older driver, and people still called him out on it, claiming the results were due to the old drivers. Obviously, it can't be both...

i recomend using iperf or iperf 3 and doing send and receive at the same time is encouraged but not required

with QSR1000 in my WEB6000Q (verified the chip with actiontec) i get 550 in both directions at the same time, over any test duration.

and it would be nice if people posted more wifi iperf results with these newer routers

EDIT: Jperf is also really nice!

The problem with iperf is there are too many different parameters and different default values, it makes it hard to compare results, unless people also publish their exact settings.

The reason I recommend testing one direction at a time is because of how wifi works. And over the years, I've never had sustained, constant throughput when doing bi-directional tests, regardless of which router and which client I tested. And also because people very rarely push both down and upstream to their limit simultaneously. You are usually either downloading a large file, or uploading it.

Now that I have this router I want to say this thing is HUGE and very sexy. Just wish I had a better location for it. It's sitting on a tv stand about 18 inches off the floor and right in front of my 60 inch tv. I'm trying to get it above the tv since I know the tv is degrading my wifi which isn't bad but could possibly be a lot better. I went out to my pool area and had a weak signal. My wife lifted the router above the tv and the signal immediately increased along with a speed increase. This was on the 5GHz band. I got some rearranging to do in my Mancave.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!