What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK fair enough, is it something you may look to implement down the line?

TY for your swift response.

Toon

Not sure. On one hand, it would require renting a VPS to host the update database and files. On the other hand, some people are paranoid about privacy and confidentiality, and the mere thought of having the router "phone home" to check the version database would be enough to make them get the pitch forks out. So, for now there are no immediate plans, but not totally ruling it out in the future either.

And there's also the security aspect. This would be an additional vector of attack for a malicious user. I wouldn't implement any kind of automated upgrade without some form of code signing, which wouldn't be trivial to implement either.

RMerlin, automatic upgrades are the first things I turn off on any of my devices.

A link to the latest version is all that is (ever) needed.

Anyone taking the time to use your firmware fork will know to check for an update, check the changelog and then decide to upgrade or not.

If they aren't here in the forums seeing it progress daily already. :)

RMerlin, automatic upgrades are the first things I turn off on any of my devices.

A link to the latest version is all that is (ever) needed.

Anyone taking the time to use your firmware fork will know to check for an update, check the changelog and then decide to upgrade or not.

If they aren't here in the forums seeing it progress daily already. :)

380.60 has a minor change that's taken from Asus's own low-end models that don't support automatic updating: I re-added the version Check button, and clicking on it will simply take you to the download site (I swapped Asus's site with mine, of course) so you can manually check the version available.

MU-MIMO for this router is in BETA form. And will be in BETA from till the FCC makes MU-MIMO official some time soon. Good luck finding any MU-MIMO ready clients.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would one enable MU-MIMO on both 5.0 and 2.4? Or just 5.0?

There is no such thing as 802.11ac or MU-MIMO in 2.4 GHz, at least for the moment. Both are 5 GHz only.

Ok, I ask because under 2.4 professional there is an option to turn it on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I ask because under 2.4 professional there is an option to turn it on
It's probably there because they use the same radio chip. But it should not be there. Leave it off or it could cause compatibility problems.

It's probably there because they use the same radio chip. But it should not be there. Leave it off or it could cause compatibility problems.

Yep... completely agree here - putting 11ac features into the 2.4GHz space can cause not only issues within one's own WLAN/BSS, but to adjacent/overlapping networks as well...

I've called a major OEM directly on this, with zero response back from there.

B/G/N-mixed mode with 20MHz channels and WPA2 is the best approach for 2.4GHz space - everything works well there, and it minimizes impact to adjacent legacy networks.

Leaving it in 20MHz mode is fine if your speed is not higher than 130Mbps. I get 230Mbps down so I leave all my 2.4GHz bands in 40MHz mode with no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For some reason after going to this 3341 firmware my Amazon Fire Sticks do not want to connect to the 5GHz band. They connect to the 2.4GHz band fine. What could be the issue if the Wi-Fi drivers stayed the same?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

For some reason after going to this 3341 firmware my Amazon Fire Sticks do not want to connect to the 5GHz band. They connect to the 2.4GHz band fine. What could be the issue if the Wi-Fi drivers stayed the same?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Try disabling stuff like MU-MIMO and Beamforming.

Yes. WTFAST is not working for me either. I get an error message when logging in. It is obvious to me that WTfast is not supporting this router. There has not been a single update, since the router was released. The supported games list is still very limited and has not been added to, since the router was released. It is a gimmick by Asus in an attempt to sell more routers to the 'gamer' demographic. They are misleading in their description of the WTFast service in that gaming consoles are supported when they are not. Other than the WTfast gimmick, it seems to be a good router and is working well for me.
Ok, I just "fixed" this issue. I had enabled HTTPS in the administration section so it's secure when I administrate the router.
When connecting via HTTP, GameBoost works fine and you can login via the router. But it's when you connect via HTTPS is when it errors out with "server does not response".
Hope this helps someone.

So I've had the 88U since April. This past weekend, I enabled the port bonded to create a LAG which connected to a Netgear Prosafe Plus managed switch that also has LAG capabilities. I then connected a device to the Netgear switch. Well, the router did some very weird things afterwards...

To start, the admin web interface became very slow. Anything that I clicked on took 3 times longer to load up. When I disabled it, it went back to normal times.

Wireless, both 2.4 and 5 ghz spectrum, became very flaky. After re configuring my SSID's and passwords, devices on my network including my android phone, Nest and PS4 had trouble connecting. Sometimes, I'd receive a message saying the WPS password was wrong even though I knew it wasn't. At other times, it simply would't connect to either. I had better luck with 5 ghz as the PS4 would not connect at all. All this time, each connection attempt seemed to take a lot longer than normal times.

I tried reconfiguring the SSID's and passwords, encryption type, etc. which never really seemed to help.

After resetting to factory default and disabling the LAG, everything to started working. All of my devices seemed to have a much easier and faster time even attempting to connect. The Nest I had to keep on the 2.4 ghz instead of where it was previously connected to 5.0 ghz. I haven't figured that one out yet. I had the least trouble with my android phone. My laptop running Win 7 also didn't seem to have a lot of problems. I did run a constant ping to the router's interface IP and every so often I'd get a very late response. Connecting the PS4 just started working as well. But the router itself just seemed to grind to a halt with LAG enabled.

In general, the LAG shouldn't have affected wifi connectivity but perhaps it's affects on the router as a whole caused the issues I had. Has anyone had any experience with the LAG bonded ports features?

Edit: I'm running the latest Asus firmware. I'm not home right now so I can't give you the version. I intend to try Merlin's as soon as I have time.

So I've had the 88U since April. This past weekend, I enabled the port bonded to create a LAG which connected to a Netgear Prosafe Plus managed switch that also has LAG capabilities. I then connected a device to the Netgear switch. Well, the router did some very weird things afterwards...

To start, the admin web interface became very slow. Anything that I clicked on took 3 times longer to load up. When I disabled it, it went back to normal times.

Wireless, both 2.4 and 5 ghz spectrum, became very flaky. After re configuring my SSID's and passwords, devices on my network including my android phone, Nest and PS4 had trouble connecting. Sometimes, I'd receive a message saying the WPS password was wrong even though I knew it wasn't. At other times, it simply would't connect to either. I had better luck with 5 ghz as the PS4 would not connect at all. All this time, each connection attempt seemed to take a lot longer than normal times.

I tried reconfiguring the SSID's and passwords, encryption type, etc. which never really seemed to help.

After resetting to factory default and disabling the LAG, everything to started working. All of my devices seemed to have a much easier and faster time even attempting to connect. The Nest I had to keep on the 2.4 ghz instead of where it was previously connected to 5.0 ghz. I haven't figured that one out yet. I had the least trouble with my android phone. My laptop running Win 7 also didn't seem to have a lot of problems. I did run a constant ping to the router's interface IP and every so often I'd get a very late response. Connecting the PS4 just started working as well. But the router itself just seemed to grind to a halt with LAG enabled.

In general, the LAG shouldn't have affected wifi connectivity but perhaps it's affects on the router as a whole caused the issues I had. Has anyone had any experience with the LAG bonded ports features?

Edit: I'm running the latest Asus firmware. I'm not home right now so I can't give you the version. I intend to try Merlin's as soon as I have time.

No issues with my 88U, enabled and connected to my QNAP NAS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!