What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check version of firmware and try again.

Guess it's the full factory reset then.

Toon

Hi all,

Newly signed up on SNB.

I'm buying parts for a small business network and I was looking at the 88U for our main router. We will be using Vonage VoIP and I was checking the router compatibility list on their support page:

https://businesssupport.vonage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21546

Under Routers by Manufacturer it doesn't mention the 88U but does say this:

Firmware 3.0.0.4.380.1842 and later creates drop rule and can't be downgraded. May work with SIP ALG disabled in earlier firmware.
I know the main ASUS Firmware has since been upgraded, but is this still an issue? Is it an issue for Merlin?

Thanks!

I know the main ASUS Firmware has since been upgraded, but is this still an issue? Is it an issue for Merlin?

Not an issue with my firmware. Following that change from Asus, I nitially skipped adding the drop rule, because I thought it was a bad idea. In my newer builds, I have made the ALG setting offer three different options, so both behaviour can be used:

Disable: disables the NAT helper, and blocks port 5060 (reproducing Asus's new behaviour)
Enable: Disable the NAT helper, but do not block port 5060 (reproducing Asus's old behaviour of disabled)
Enable + NAT Helper: Enable the NAT helper, and (obviously) do not block port 5060 (reproducing Asus's Enabled behaviour)

The problem is that Asus now treats this setting as a passthrough toggle rather than an ALG toggle. This lack of flexibility can indeed be problematic when one wants to use SIP without the NAT helper.

Could someone with an 88u confirm whether or not the 88u with the current firmware version 380.3341 has the Tx power adjustment option under Wireless > Professional (at the bottom of the page - below universal beamforming). The pdf manual for the 88u shows that it has a Tx power adjustment option but that was before the recent FCC compliant firmware releases.
Yes, my 88u with the newest Asus firmware has a slider for tx power.

Yes, my 88u with the newest Asus firmware has a slider for tx power.
donatom3, Thank you for providing that info. I was wondering if and when someone would help answer my question about the Tx adjustment on the 88u with the latest firmware. Thanks again. :D

just a note here , max power on the slider is only the max allowed and anything less than max is lowering the signal power in 25% slots

Max power is still to short for me. $400.00 router and can't even get 30 feet without losing signal.

Max power is still to short for me. $400.00 router and can't even get 30 feet without losing signal.

That is how radio signals work.

How is the throughput though? (Or, is that what you meant)?

There's no relationship between the price of a router and the laws of physics...

Not much been going on in here recently....everyone's 88U working great?

Toon

My 88U is by far the best router I have ever owned. It's rock solid and running Merlin's fantastic FW.

Obviously it was expensive, but I don't regret buying it at all.

then you simply have an environmental issue or construction material issue as i can assure you i have tested this router at 25 meters about 80 feet and only have a loss of 50% on 2.4 gig and 66% loss on 5 gig

at 10 meters or about 30 feet through a wall or 2 i have almost full signal sync wise and thus throughput , but my house has plaster board walls and a wood frame

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!