What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Looks Awesome, I just picked up the RT-AC3100 at best buy this morning going to hook it up after work. I would have liked the RT-AC88U but they didn't have that model and was nearing the end of the return policy for my RT-AC87R. Since I really don't need the 8 lan ports and the red in the antennas isn't something I need either I figured the RT-AC3100 will suit my needs just fine and hopefully won't suffer from the issues of the RT-AC87R.
Except amazon has the 88u at the same price as best buy has the ac3100. So the 4 extra ports are free! There are 15 left after i ordered mine.

Except amazon has the 88u at the same price as best buy has the ac3100. So the 4 extra ports are free! There are 15 left after i ordered mine.
Right I understand that, but I used my best buy credit card at interest free for 6 months, and with needing to do some car repairs made the new router purchase easier.

Totally fine. I'm also assuming Prime membership in my value assessment. Let's just hope we get something that works this time. :)

One strange thing after setup was it updated the firmware on its own but it found a version that isn't listed on the Asus site. It updated to a 6XX firmware when on the site the two that are posted are 8XX but I just upgraded to the latest after. I miss the front mounted leds since I cant see the routers status anymore (router is mounted above our wall mounted tv) but other than that no complaints. It was nice to get rid of that tp-link switch I was using.

This is actually why I just broke down and bought the RT-AC88u instead of the RT-AC3100. I don't need the 8 ports (I tend to be more wireless focused). I figured it was stupid to pay more for less router (I have to pay taxes at both amazon and best buy, so why leave money on the table. Even though both are way overkill for me, I figure I won't have to upgrade for 5-6 years :)

I do wonder if the RT-88u is going to go up in price on amazon. When I looked at the router in my wishlist is mentioned it was a deal price ($279.99). So it makes wonder if once they have more in stock and the RT-ac3100 hits amazon prices much jump up to match Best Buy and Newegg.

This is actually why I just broke down and bought the RT-AC88u instead of the RT-AC3100. I don't need the 8 ports (I tend to be more wireless focused). I figured it was stupid to pay more for less router (I have to pay taxes at both amazon and best buy, so why leave money on the table. Even though both are way overkill for me, I figure I won't have to upgrade for 5-6 years :)

I do wonder if the RT-88u is going to go up in price on amazon. When I looked at the router in my wishlist is mentioned it was a deal price ($279.99). So it makes wonder if once they have more in stock and the RT-ac3100 hits amazon prices much jump up to match Best Buy and Newegg.
I was in the same situation as you, I don't need the ports. It would have been nice, but like I said the convenience of Best Buy with my credit card was nice and I forgot I also had $20 in rewards certificates at Best Buy, and a $20 cable to return that I didn't need so essentially I only paid $239.99 for the AC-3100. I am very happy with it, all I am waiting for now is a stable release of Merlin's firmware and I will be all set.

I was in the same situation as you, I don't need the ports. It would have been nice, but like I said the convenience of Best Buy with my credit card was nice and I forgot I also had $20 in rewards certificates at Best Buy, and a $20 cable to return that I didn't need so essentially I only paid $239.99 for the AC-3100. I am very happy with it, all I am waiting for now is a stable release of Merlin's firmware and I will be all set.

That's a sweet deal. I would have done the same thing.

I still feel kinda of wasteful buying such a high end router. But I figure I won't need to upgrade for a while (5 years or more). And Considering a RT-AC68U/P would have cost me $170-200+ with tax. I figured I would be better off splurging and getting the new high end model and not having any regrets.

That's a sweet deal. I would have done the same thing.

I still feel kinda of wasteful buying such a high end router. But I figure I won't need to upgrade for a while (5 years or more). And Considering a RT-AC68U/P would have cost me $170-200+ with tax. I figured I would be better off splurging and getting the new high end model and not having any regrets.
I felt the same way, I had the RT-N66U that has served me well and still worked great but my new internet connection was starting to push the limits of its wireless capabilities or I just didn't have it setup right. But I didn't want to spend the $200 on the AC-68P when I could get the AC-3100 that should last me 5-6 years, just seemed like the better investment to me as well.

can anybody who have the 88u answer me this question. Is the heat sink of the top vent red too or not? thanks.

can anybody who have the 88u answer me this question. Is the heat sink of the top vent red too or not? thanks.

the vent is black but you can see red something :p underneath it

a111fdfb8b7425b378896eb58efaebe0.jpg

can someone confirm if this router AC88U has Smart Connect?

I just bought AC3100 from Best Buy and just set it up but could't find Smart Connect under Advanced Settings Wireless, according to the manual.

the vent is black but you can see red something :p underneath it

From the image on the Asus site (the 360 spin) it appears that it is indeed the heatsink that is red.

can someone confirm if this router AC88U has Smart Connect?

I just bought AC3100 from Best Buy and just set it up but could't find Smart Connect under Advanced Settings Wireless, according to the manual.

I dont see any setting for smart connect. I thought that was a feature reserved for the dual 5Ghz radio routers.

From the image on the Asus site (the 360 spin) it appears that it is indeed the heatsink that is red.

I dont see any setting for smart connect. I thought that was a feature reserved for the dual 5Ghz radio routers.

Smart Connect is a feature that is listed on Amazon and Asus manual for both AC88U and AC3100. Smart Connect automatically switch between 2.4 and 5Ghz bands without user manually selecting to connect.

Smart Connect is a feature that is listed on Amazon and Asus manual for both AC88U and AC3100. Smart Connect automatically switch between 2.4 and 5Ghz bands without user manually selecting to connect.

Can't you achieve the same thing but naming the ssids the same?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!