What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The chamber tests kind of predict your anecdotal evidence. The value of your account is giving us a sense of how much better in real world when we see little move on charts. Seems between your second floor and basement, signal drop is well within 30dB.

(Also worth pointing out chamber tests show that 2.4Ghz performance on AC87U will win AC88U by miles...)

cached_linechart_bench_119_1689_2398.jpg

cached_linechart_bench_120_1689_2398.jpg

Here are my rudimentary findings for a real world unofficial test.

Old Router Asus RT-AC66, New Router Asus RT-AC88.

Using a Windows 7 PC connected wired to the router and a Samsung S2 Tablet connected wireless to the router located in the same room about 6 feet apart. The only change to the test site was replacing the router. All other equipment did not move its location.
The 5 GHz test had the tablet connected at 866 Mbps for both routers and the 2.4 GHz test the connection was 144 Mbps for the AC66 and 192 Mbps for the AC88. I installed iperf on both computers and ran the test only about 10-15 times each for 25 seconds as a server and again as a client on both bands using both routers. Here are my average results for my given setup:

AC66 2.4 GHz 120 Mbps

AC88 2.4 GHz 150 Mbps

AC66 5 GHz 400 Mbps

AC88 5 GHz 500 Mbps

This is showing me an improvement of about 25 percent for one specific distant in a single room only.
Contributing factors are newer processor, mips->arm, 600 MHz->1400 MHz, more memory, different drivers just to name a few.

500Mbps at 2x2 beats the chamber test at 3x3 :)

What kind of CPU utilisation roughly on AC88 did you see during tests?

I saw here a lot of differences between lab test and real life test...what could be the reason?! My own tests beats also the lab tests and i saw with my own eyes...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

What kind of CPU utilisation roughly on AC88 did you see during tests?

I knew I forgot something. I don't know. I didn't look at it since I was coming from the AC66 which doesn't have that feature. I'll see if I can come up with the answer later for you.

I saw here a lot of differences between lab test and real life test...what could be the reason?! My own tests beats also the lab tests and i saw with my own eyes...

Only Tim can tell... since we can consider it "systematic error", it's fair to all routers under chamber tests. For comparison purpose, data are still valid.

But I agree, if chamber tests could also stress the limit of max throughput, that'll be nice.

I knew I forgot something. I don't know. I didn't look at it since I was coming from the AC66 which doesn't have that feature. I'll see if I can come up with the answer later for you.

Thanks. I would expect Core 1 below 50% (Core 2 surely will be less), it'll be good indicator of AC88's potential.

I am having an issue with Traffic Analyzer/Traffic Monitor using Merlin Alpha 3/4. The WAN port shows activity all the time that is not going out to the Internet and one half of the 5 GHz plot (receive or transmit?) shows zero activity. :(

Last edited:
Only Tim can tell... since we can consider it "systematic error", it's fair to all routers under chamber tests. For comparison purpose, data are still valid.

But I agree, if chamber tests could also stress the limit of max throughput, that'll be nice.

The client and its driver could also have an incidence. My own tests also showed 550 Mbps with a 2x2 client (Intel 7265AC)

The client and its driver could also have an incidence. My own tests also showed 550 Mbps with a 2x2 client (Intel 7265AC)

Looks promising...can only get better with firmware refresh!

Got my replacement AC88 today. Did the fw upgrade after power-on and then the factory defaults. Also decided to enable only needed features: Samba, DDNS, a 2.4 Guest network; to help ensure stability.

Something I noticed: after the upgrade and factory defaults, I setup a minimal config for just wireless and Samba and did a wired client test and got ~104-110MB/sec NTFS read speeds. This is with the USB3.0 interference option disabled. Later I finished setting up the remainder of the config and did a re-test and got mid-80s MB/sec.

So something unrelated is affecting USB3.0 peformance. would love to get the 100 MB/s + back... but could not find anything to revert that makes sense...

anyone using an AC88 as a media bridge, with another AC88 as AP? the media bridge would eventually lose connection with the AP, LEDs are all showing up fine, and a power cycle will fix it.

anyone using an AC88 as a media bridge, with another AC88 as AP? the media bridge would eventually lose connection with the AP, LEDs are all showing up fine, and a power cycle will fix it.

Earlier in the thread, if I remember right, this was acknowledged as a known issue with some ASUS routers.

I'm also seeing the issue with my RT-AC88U as a media bridge (with a RT-AC3100 as my main router and a RT-AC87U as an access point). Usually have to do a power cycle on the RT-AC88U once or twice a day. Fortunately, this has never (knock on wood) happened when streaming music or video media with the bridge.

When the issue happens, the AC88U also does not show up as a client when logged into the RT-AC3100. Nor does it show up with ASUS Device Discovery tool.

Until it's not yet official recognised by several authorities...no way...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!