What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am using the firmware that came with the router, the router checked for a new version and said nothing newer was available.

version 3.0.0.4.380_664

Last edited:
I am using the firmware that came with the router, the router checked for a new version and said nothing newer was available.

version 3.0.0.4.380_664

Don't trust the 'auto' checkers (ever).

Either look for a new version yourself on the Asus website (and I would check if they're showing for any of the OS's they offer, even if you don't run that OS. Just a quirk of Asus and how they categorize sometimes).

Even better, I would install the RMerlin firmware instead and after flashing the new firmware, reset to factory defaults and do a minimal and manual configuration of the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-custom-firmware-for-asus-routers.7846/

I bought the ac88u a couple of weeks ago.

For some reason the router will stop connecting to the internet, sometimes after a few hours, sometimes after a couple of days. All the lights are on when I check the router, I just can no longer can connect to the internet. Unplugging and replugging fixes the issue.

Sometimes both the wired and wireless connections stop connecting to the internet, or it will just be the wired connections that will be down but my WiFi connected items can still connect, or vice versa.

The last couple of times it happened I connected my laptop directly to the modem just to see if it was isp or modem issue and was able to connect to the internet without issue.

I installed the most recent firmware directly from Asus and performed a factory reset before setting up the router. I plan on reinstalling firmware and doing a factory reset again this weekend.

Does this sound like it could be a hardware issue? Or is it just software or something went wrong during the firmware install type issue?

I bought the ac88u a couple of weeks ago.

For some reason the router will stop connecting to the internet, sometimes after a few hours, sometimes after a couple of days. All the lights are on when I check the router, I just can no longer can connect to the internet. Unplugging and replugging fixes the issue.

Sometimes both the wired and wireless connections stop connecting to the internet, or it will just be the wired connections that will be down but my WiFi connected items can still connect, or vice versa.

The last couple of times it happened I connected my laptop directly to the modem just to see if it was isp or modem issue and was able to connect to the internet without issue.

I installed the most recent firmware directly from Asus and performed a factory reset before setting up the router. I plan on reinstalling firmware and doing a factory reset again this weekend.

Does this sound like it could be a hardware issue? Or is it just software or something went wrong during the firmware install type issue?

I wonder if this is like the issue I experienced, except I had the unit in Media Bridge mode. I contacted ASUS support and after discussing my issue, they issued me an RMA for returning my RT-AC88U router to them.

After returning the router to them, their testing found issues ("wireless connection fails") and so they sent me a new RT-AC88U router.

Since posting on that, the new router has come in and I've set it up again as a media bridge. Results--no lost Internet connection but a couple of "inconvenience issues" remain.

Before, with my previous RT-AC88U, after a reboot or power cycle . . .
  • Everything was fine for a couple of 2-3 hours.
  • Then I could not see the RT-AC88U with network device tools, like ASUS's Device Discovery or Advanced IP Scanner.
  • Logging onto to my main router (an RT-AC3100), I would not see the RT-AC88U in the client list (if I did this earlier, when things were still all fine, I'd see the usual IP address for RT-AC88U jump around to different IP addresses)
  • Internet connections to the RT-AC88U would not work.
Now, after 2-3 hours, I still lose the RT-AC88U with network device tools and it no longer shows in RT-AC3100's client list. HOWEVER, Internet connections to the RT-AC88U work. Devices attached to it can access the Internet and so far (knock on wood) have not failed.

Will watch things going forward for a while.

I wonder if this is like the issue I experienced, except I had the unit in Media Bridge mode. I contacted ASUS support and after discussing my issue, they issued me an RMA for returning my RT-AC88U router to them.

After returning the router to them, their testing found issues ("wireless connection fails") and so they sent me a new RT-AC88U router.

Since posting on that, the new router has come in and I've set it up again as a media bridge. Results--no lost Internet connection but a couple of "inconvenience issues" remain.

Before, with my previous RT-AC88U, after a reboot or power cycle . . .
  • Everything was fine for a couple of 2-3 hours.
  • Then I could not see the RT-AC88U with network device tools, like ASUS's Device Discovery or Advanced IP Scanner.
  • Logging onto to my main router (an RT-AC3100), I would not see the RT-AC88U in the client list (if I did this earlier, when things were still all fine, I'd see the usual IP address for RT-AC88U jump around to different IP addresses)
  • Internet connections to the RT-AC88U would not work.
Now, after 2-3 hours, I still lose the RT-AC88U with network device tools and it no longer shows in RT-AC3100's client list. HOWEVER, Internet connections to the RT-AC88U work. Devices attached to it can access the Internet and so far (knock on wood) have not failed.

Will watch things going forward for a while.

I have the same issue with my router and media bridge. I bought my two routers when they first came out. I am still going around with Asus on my issue. Have sent all logs and cfg and client list and still no response just deflection by them.
What you just said about your bridge still dropping from client list means it still may not be working correctly. In my media bridge wireless log I noticed that the main router keeps dropping out every hour or so. In the AP side or default router it shows not dropping since last reboot of router. Example in AP log shows media bridge being connected for 14:52:00 where in the media bridge log it shows the AP router being connected 00:35:45. Both routers were rebooted almost 15 hours earlier. When the media bridge drops from the main routers client list I can't access the media bridge with any app from the AP or default router. This creates a problem for me since I have apps on my iPhone that operate my TV and AV units which have to connect wirelessly to my AP. Also, the Asus Discovery drops the media bridge. If you don't need to use the AP router to run anything that is connected to the media bridge then your fine because the Media Bridge still connects to the Internet. Lastly, just for grins, I connected my Rt-AC87u to the RT-AC88U. They both run perfectly, neither disconnect from the client list. I have tested both RT-AC88U's with RT-AC87U's changing the modes from AP to Media Bridge without failure in four separate tests each lasting for more than 24 hours. Plain and simple, the RT-AC88U Media Bridge can't Stay connected to theRT-AC88U's AP's Client list.

I have the same issue with my router and media bridge. I bought my two routers when they first came out. I am still going around with Asus on my issue. Have sent all logs and cfg and client list and still no response just deflection by them.
What you just said about your bridge still dropping from client list means it still may not be working correctly. In my media bridge wireless log I noticed that the main router keeps dropping out every hour or so. In the AP side or default router it shows not dropping since last reboot of router. Example in AP log shows media bridge being connected for 14:52:00 where in the media bridge log it shows the AP router being connected 00:35:45. Both routers were rebooted almost 15 hours earlier. When the media bridge drops from the main routers client list I can't access the media bridge with any app from the AP or default router. This creates a problem for me since I have apps on my iPhone that operate my TV and AV units which have to connect wirelessly to my AP. Also, the Asus Discovery drops the media bridge. If you don't need to use the AP router to run anything that is connected to the media bridge then your fine because the Media Bridge still connects to the Internet. Lastly, just for grins, I connected my Rt-AC87u to the RT-AC88U. They both run perfectly, neither disconnect from the client list. I have tested both RT-AC88U's with RT-AC87U's changing the modes from AP to Media Bridge without failure in four separate tests each lasting for more than 24 hours. Plain and simple, the RT-AC88U Media Bridge can't Stay connected to theRT-AC88U's AP's Client list.

Thanks for sharing! :) I get about 1-2 hours before the RT-AC88U "poops out" after a reboot/power cycle.

I'm using my RT-AC88U with our main home entertainment unit, with six devices connected. One of those devices is a HTPC. Fortunately, being directly connected to the RT-AC88U for Internet, it can always connect to the RT-AC88U and log in if needed.

I was going to get ethernet over to everything later this year. Think I'll accelerate that and get that done sooner and then turn the RT-AC88U into an AP.

I have been testing my RT-AC88U extensively over the last month and reported a couple of issues that fell upon deaf ears. With no response from ASUS I decided to send it back to Amazon for a 100% refund. I'll just wait until the firmware matures and keep a lookout for somewhere else to spend my money.

I have been testing my RT-AC88U extensively over the last month and reported a couple of issues that fell upon deaf ears.

What issues specifically? I only ask because I was prepared for the worst with my RT-AC88U and thought I'd be rueing the day I ever decided to part company with my DrayTek.

As it turns out, though, I've actually been really pleased with the RT-AC88U and haven't noticed any one serious issue or even enough minor ones to make me lose patience with it.

The issues I reported were not significant just mistakes in the firmware that needed correcting at some time in the future but I got no response. They were small things like the real-time graphs for the wireless info didn't show one of the directions (I forget if it was transmit or receive.) The averages on the graphs were calculated over the entire timeline instead of the current amount of collected data. Small bugs but then one day the router just froze and was completely non-responsive for wireless or wired devices. I didn't feel the desire to even troubleshoot it considering the lack of response I received before. Just packed it up and sent it back.

I did post a picture in the official sub-forum.

Last edited:
Have got my RT-AC88U in operation for 1 week now. Have frequently issues with it. Every 2/3 hours it stops wireless signals and internet connection. Restart will normally solve the issue. However issue issue is returning. Have performed reset to factory default settings and firmware is latest from ASUS at the moment. Tried the RMerlin version, but had the same problem.

Shall I return the router, or is there anything else I can try?

Have got my RT-AC88U in operation for 1 week now. Have frequently issues with it. Every 2/3 hours it stops wireless signals and internet connection. Restart will normally solve the issue. However issue issue is returning. Have performed reset to factory default settings and firmware is latest from ASUS at the moment. Tried the RMerlin version, but had the same problem.

Shall I return the router, or is there anything else I can try?

I'm running .1354 with an up time of 17 days now. Check to see if it is your modem that is rebooting every 2 to 3 hours. If it's not the modem than return the router.

experiencing the same issue above with Merlin's 57
Don't have a modem , straight to the router connection.
internet connection freezes and a reboot every 2/3 days fixes the issue.

Or it might be my lovely isp throttling me down

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Fw 1354 and 1681 are stable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bought my RT-AC88U a few weeks ago but I finally got to set it up (vacation) a little less than a week ago. I'm extremely impressed and satisfied with this thing. The performance and speed I'm getting are consistently fantastic. Coming from the AC-87U it's really a breath of fresh air.

More and more people are going with pfsense routers and Ubiquiti AP's, I really didn't want to go that route so I'm extremely happy I found something that'll do it all for me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!