What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Did you read this thread? After you upgraded to Merlin, did you complete all the install instructions (e.g. factory reset, re-configure, etc.)?

When I purchased my 88u's here in China I played around with it for a while and changed China to United States using the original FW shipped with the routers. I don't even remember what version that was. All my wireless devices worked fine with China or the U.S. setting (keeping in mind that some of the available frequencies were different, as I recall). I didn't see any appreciable performance differences so I changed it back to China. Along the line I updated to the latest (at the time) factory FW, then to Merlin's 380.57 and now to 380.58 (thanks Merlin). I'm perfectly happy with my wi-fi performance. Out of curiosity, why do you want to change territory?

Yes I did. I'm not sure whats happening because I just turned on the wifi on my android phone again and the router crashed again. (with China region set). I expect I've done something wrong. I would prefer to stick with Merlin firmware as it has done me well on my AC66 router.
I've got some stuff to do now, but I will have another furtle with it tomorrow.

I think (but not sure yet) that I found what was going on.
I found that the router never crashed when a client connected to 5G, only 2.4G. (Yesterday it also crashed on 5G, but not today).
SSID of 5G was ASUS5 SSID of 2.4G was ASUS2.4
I removed the . from the 2.4G and since then all connections work and the router has not crashed.
On the AC66, it was never a problem with a . in the SSID.
I don't know if it was the action of removing the . that fixed it, or simply editing the SSID after changing the region.
Hopefully it will be fine now.
Only reason for wanting to change the region is so that it will work with the correct spec when taken to UK later this year.

Last edited:
Hmm. Sadly it crashed again just now (about 24 hours since the previous problem). It crashed at the moment I disconnected laptop from wired LAN and switched it to 2.4G wifi. It did not crash until I actually switched on the laptop wifi and it was in the process of making the connection.
There is nothing at all in the log to show the event. Log shows normal messages and then at the next entry the date has reset to August and showing busybox starting.

I have no idea at all. I don't even have any pointers to see what is happening.

Edit. I did make a full backup of it this morning prior to it crashing, using Johns' backup program. I am beginning to consider downgrading the firmware back to Asus original and see if there are still issues. But I really don't want to do this.
Never had an issue with the AC66 either with stock or Merlin firmware, but now I feel a bit jittery!

Last edited:
Really didnt appreciate the size of this router until i put it in situ just now

it drowns out my 24 Port Managed Switch and that isnt small

I had to retire two of my nas's to fit it in

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi,

I created an account through the router and found myself an expiry date linked with my account.

I thought the WTFAST account is supposed to be a lifetime membership. Not happy about this!

Hmm. Sadly it crashed again just now (about 24 hours since the previous problem). It crashed at the moment I disconnected laptop from wired LAN and switched it to 2.4G wifi. It did not crash until I actually switched on the laptop wifi and it was in the process of making the connection.
There is nothing at all in the log to show the event. Log shows normal messages and then at the next entry the date has reset to August and showing busybox starting.

I have no idea at all. I don't even have any pointers to see what is happening.

Edit. I did make a full backup of it this morning prior to it crashing, using Johns' backup program. I am beginning to consider downgrading the firmware back to Asus original and see if there are still issues. But I really don't want to do this.
Never had an issue with the AC66 either with stock or Merlin firmware, but now I feel a bit jittery!

Did this happen on RT-AC88U with both FWs? (Stock / RMerlin)

Is there any word on this bridge mode issue? I have two of these routers and the main one is always online but the wireless bridge has to be reset daily to reconnect. I had them both stable for about a month and a half of constant connections then my power went out and ever since then it's been daily resets.

It's annoying because I paid quite a bit of money to have two of these to max out the connection and now it seems like I could have got a cheap USB dongle and been better off.

Again the main router one is great but the wireless bridge performance is unacceptable.

what is the total user limit for openvpn?
Also has anyone tested the performance and reliability for openvpn on rt-ac88u?

Hi guys,

I own two AC87 routers and operate them in bridge mode. I am only getting a 975 mbit link between the two (so nowhere near the 17xx that it should be able to do) and the disaster with MU-MIMO (which was never really delivered on the AC87, despite the fact they made this a major selling point of the router back then) make me look at the AC88. I read here that the AC88 is using an entirely new WLAN chipset from a different manufacturer.

Do you guys think I will see a major improvement when upgrading to the AC88?

You will probably see some downgrades, specially if you are at European region.

Really didnt appreciate the size of this router until i put it in situ just now

it drowns out my 24 Port Managed Switch and that isnt small

I had to retire two of my nas's to fit it in

image.jpg

image.jpg

I wouldn't keep the router cramped up against the wall like that. Wifi needs to breathe. LOL!

You will probably see some downgrades, specially if you are at European region.
It's disturbing to read that new FCC compliant firmware could be nerfing router performance... especially outer range and distance connectivity. I will be curious to read any updated posts regarding this since I am considering getting either an ac88u or ac5300 in the near future as an upgrade to my current ac68p.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!