What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BB in the US has the RT-AC87R/U on clearance now. I thought that was interesting, since not even the RT-AC68U is on clearance yet. Perhaps the RT-AC88U will be a replacement for that one at the same price point?? We can hope...

I noticed the ac68p is on clearance right now at BB. I'm not sure if this means a clearance of stock with older pre- June 1st 2016 FCC non-compliant firmware or a removal of the 68p model in favor of the newer 68u and 1900ac models. It probably doesn't make any difference at this point except I agree it would be nice to see an across the board price drop for the 88u and 5300 as other manufacturers are releasing similar competitive products at reduced prices. I am sure Asus is making plans for their next flagship router with the new BCM 64 bit quad core chip.

Last edited:
Clearance sales at a big chain? Can only mean those models weren't selling like they thought they would.

Is it a good buy? Possibly. But the level of firmware is not the reason for the sale (chasing the available dollars is).

Aside from the red accents and the extra 4 lan ports, is there any reason to get the 88U over the 3100? I know Tims review said there wasn't any difference so I guess I'm asking if it's worth the extra $20. I've never had the need for more than 4 ports.

Last edited:
Aside from the red accents and the extra 4 lan ports, is there any reason to get the 88U over the 3100? I know Tims review said there wasn't any difference so I guess I'm asking if it's worth the extra $20. I've never had the need for more than 4 ports.

There are no other difference.

One thing to note is that both models aren't available in all countries. Here in Canada, only the RT-AC3100 is available.

I noticed the ac68p is on clearance right now at BB. I'm not sure if this means a clearance of stock with older pre- June 1st 2016 FCC non-compliant firmware or a removal of the 68p model in favor of the newer 68u and 1900ac models. It probably doesn't make any difference at this point except I agree it would be nice to see an across the board price drop for the 88u and 5300 as other manufacturers are releasing similar competitive products at reduced prices. I am sure Asus is making plans for their next flagship router with the new BCM 64 bit quad core chip.

What new 68U?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really didnt appreciate the size of this router until i put it in situ just now

it drowns out my 24 Port Managed Switch and that isnt small

I had to retire two of my nas's to fit it in

image.jpg

image.jpg
A little off topic but what OS are you running on the Gen8 Microservers? I have just one with WS2012 Essentials and Asusu AC87 with a HP1810 switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a question regarding the MU-MIMO feature that can be enabled in Wireless --> Professional

Does that have to be enabled for both bands? or does enabling it under 2.4 simply enable the feature all together?

Just a question regarding the MU-MIMO feature that can be enabled in Wireless --> Professional

Does that have to be enabled for both bands? or does enabling it under 2.4 simply enable the feature all together?

It's separate for each band.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MU-MIMO is not supported in 2.4 GHz. If there is a settling that enables it, I would leave it DISABLED.

MU-MIMO is not supported in 2.4 GHz. If there is a settling that enables it, I would leave it DISABLED.

All this hype with MU-MIMO and yet to see any device that really uses it. I have Apple products, and an Amazon FireTV. I know none of those even support it.

All this hype with MU-MIMO and yet to see any device that really uses it. I have Apple products, and an Amazon FireTV. I know none of those even support it.

Routers are almost always 6-12 months ahead of clients when it comes to new technologies. It's stupid, but what you gonna do... More bulletpoints for marketing departments to put on devices is what "matters".

It's simply a case where you can eliminate needing another switch for extra ports. When the 88u first came out I initially thought this was a big deal (that they used an eight port switch) but Asus simply built in an extra 4-port switch into the 3100 router design. I realized if you get the 3100 and decide later that you want more than four LAN ports it's just as easy to buy and add a four or eight port Gigabit switch of your choice for $20-$35 USD.

Last edited:
sadly we dont have the choice here in Australia as asus has decided that they arnt bringing in the ac3100 so its a choice of the 88u or the ac5300 , so for me the choice is easy as the 88u is cheaper and i really dont need more than 1 x 5 gig transmission as i run a separate wireless access point with another 5 gig transmission anyway

I like the RT-AC88U, but am leery because of the SNB review ... I have been watching for firmware updates and there was one on May 27. However, at the bottom of the ASUS downloads page, the Multi-Mu firmare is still listed as Alpha (Dec 2015).

Does anyone know if the May 27 firmware includes Multi-MU functionality, or is the Dec 2015 Alpha Multi-Mu firmware totally separate and therefore still not ready for prime time per the SNB review?

Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!