What's new

RT-AX1800S VS RT-AC66U-1750

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

laptop

Occasional Visitor
I was thinking about upgrading my ASUS RT-66u-AC1750 router. Would the RT- AX1800s be worth upgrading to or should I upgrade to a better router?

I have a house about 4500 ft multi story and use about 8 to 10 devices connected to the router have a VPN connected and most of my equipment is over 5 years old , But I will need to be upgrading some of it as I can afford to do it .

Thank you for you help and comments.

I don't believe that is a worthwhile upgrade at this time. Particularly for the size of home you have.

What are your ISP speeds? Depending on that answer, the following (from good to best) is what I would recommend today.

An RT-AX68U, an RT-AX86U, or a GT-AX6000. Anything else will be a compromise of some sort, at its price point.

With your large home, 1Gbps (symmetrical?) ISP speeds, the RT-AX1800S with its unspecified dual-core CPU, 256MB of RAM, and weak 2x2:2 RF design would not be a practical choice for the long term, even if it will seem like an upgrade from your RT-AC66U.

While the RT-AX68U can 'technically' handle 1Gbps speeds, the RT-AX86U or the better GT-AX6000 are your better long-term choices today.

Thank you for your reply. I just looked at the GT AX 600, It is out of my price range but looks like a great unit. This is probably not the place to ask this questions and I don't want to get banned but where does a Linksys RT-AX6000 fit in this upgrade thought process. I get one for around 200$

You won't get banned from asking about Linksys here! :)

But it isn't a manufacturer I would be giving money to that I would trust to protect my network with.

I would favor either Asus or Netgear ahead of Linksys. Not that Linksys makes bad products, just that networking seems to be gradually taking a backseat in their product development following multiple ownership changes, and I don't think they are doing a decent job at long term support through firmware updates.

I don't think I would run down the RT-AX1800S, although I agree it may not be suitable for a 4500 sq ft multistory house. It is a dual core, four threaded version of the RT-55, but now has the software to support AIMesh, 128m flash, 256m ram and for $70 now I think it is a brilliant node device. Yes it is 2x2 80 version of AX, and has no USB port to support add-ons, but it is small, cool, wall-mountable. If it gets a wireguard upgrade in new firmware it could also be a good primary router.

I'm a little cowed by those with $1,500 mesh setups with arachnoid electricity suckers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!