What's new

Recommendation for Merlin compatible where WiFi is not needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JoshFink

Occasional Visitor
Hopefully this hasn't been asked lately as I searched but didn't see anything.

I'm replacing an older router at my mom's house. She currently has an RT-AC66U that has been acting a bit funky lately. She is upgrading to Gigabit internet, has a couple of Unifi access points so this is really only needed as a wired router that plugs into the main switch.

I'm looking for something that can support wired connectivity to the cable modem at Gigabit speeds and will be supported for a couple of years with Merlin firmware.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks for the help

My suggestion is either (1) GT-AX6000; or (2) RT-AX86U. My reasoning is that both have 2.5 Gbps WAN (GT-AX6000 only) or WAN/LAN (both) ports. Typically, cable modems, especially those supplied by ISP, that support 1 Gbps connections have 2.5 Gbps port. I was not able to realize full 1 Gbps download speeds until I upgraded to GT-AX6000 — I have verified that its performance is indeed better than the RT-AX86U, which now serves as an AiMesh node. My 1 Gbps down/35 Gbps up Spectrum connection typically sees 1100 Mbps down/40 Mbps up (but slightly lower during evenings when neighborhood usage peaks) due to minimal overprovisioning.

My suggestion is either (1) GT-AX6000; or (2) RT-AX86U. My reasoning is that both have 2.5 Gbps WAN (GT-AX6000 only) or WAN/LAN (both) ports. Typically, cable modems, especially those supplied by ISP, that support 1 Gbps connections have 2.5 Gbps port. I was not able to realize full 1 Gbps download speeds until I upgraded to GT-AX6000 — I have verified that its performance is indeed better than the RT-AX86U, which now serves as an AiMesh node. My 1 Gbps down/35 Gbps up Spectrum connection typically sees 1100 Mbps down/40 Mbps up (but slightly lower during evenings when neighborhood usage peaks) due to minimal overprovisioning.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I'll look into the price of these and see what she wants to do. Depending on the price she might opt for the cheaper one. I'm sure she wouldn't notice the difference between the 986Mbps down and the 1100 Mbps down but I'll see.

You think the AX86U will be supported for a while as well?

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I'll look into the price of these and see what she wants to do. Depending on the price she might opt for the cheaper one. I'm sure she wouldn't notice the difference between the 986Mbps down and the 1100 Mbps down but I'll see.

You think the AX86U will be supported for a while as well?
Actually, another thought is that it appears that the RT-AX86U Pro might be replacing the RT-AX86U, but I don't think that any of the three will be going EOL for support anytime soon — Merlin firmware is available for all three. Also, Amazon US currently has a limited time special on the GT-AX6000 for $230 (down from $300).

Actually, another thought is that it appears that the RT-AX86U Pro might be replacing the RT-AX86U, but I don't think that any of the three will be going EOL for support anytime soon — Merlin firmware is available for all three. Also, Amazon US currently has a limited time special on the GT-AX6000 for $230 (down from $300).
Thank you. I appreciate the help.

Buying a WIFI router and not using the WIFI is not very smart, For $69 you can get an Edge router that will do all you need it to do: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011N1IT2A/?tag=snbforums-20
Not very smart or not an efficient use of money?

I've been down this road before. Unfortunately, anything but a consumer router seems to have issues with the kids video games when they try to play together for some reason. Spent about 4 years trying to get it to work properly and just putting in a consumer router fix it right up.

Thanks though.

Sorry, but the last thing I'm going to install in my parent's house is a home router with 3rd party firmware and custom scripts on USB stick. With UniFi APs already there I'll be looking at UniFi Dream Router with built-in controller and PoE for complete UniFi system.

Sorry, but the last thing I'm going to install in my parent's house is a home router with 3rd party firmware and custom scripts on USB stick. With UniFi APs already there I'll be looking at UniFi Dream Router with built-in controller and PoE for complete UniFi system.
To each their own, I guess. It's not really a big issue to support my parents and the difference in price between a Dream Machine and a cheaper Merlin compatible router is not insignificant.

Dream Machine

The minimum Asus model that makes sense now is RT-AX86U Pro. You can get it on sale for about $220.

1704402932488.png

Dream Router, not Dream Machine. And you have VLAN capable APs. Dream Router is VLAN capable in GUI.

The minimum Asus model that makes sense now is RT-AX86U Pro. You can get it on sale for about $220.

Dream Router, not Dream Machine. And you have VLAN capable APs. Dream Router is VLAN capable in GUI.

Thanks, but as I mentioned above, the Ubiquiti routers , whether it be Edge or Dream, will not play nicely with multiple video games systems in the household to let kids connect and play together. Spent 4 years and so many hours trying to get it to work and it just doesn't work. I like Merlin, it works perfectly for what I need to do, and even better is that I can just pop in a router flashed with Merlin and reconfigure it the way it was and will have nothing to support for years to come. Remember, it's been working for many years so popping in the same firmware on a newer router seems like the easiest and most straight forward thing to do. I get your point but it's just not the right thing for this situation.

Spent 4 years and so many hours trying to get it to work and it just doesn't work.

Okay. Your decision seems to me limited by your current level of knowledge, but use whatever you are comfortable with. The cheapest router you want is RT-AX86U Pro. It is a recent model and will have longer support. Asuswrt-Merlin on 3.0.0.6 "Pro" base is not coming any time soon though. Some of the scripts don't work properly on newer routers or are no longer supported - read the corresponding threads.

Okay. Your decision seems to me limited by your current level of knowledge, but use whatever you are comfortable with. The cheapest router you want is RT-AX86U Pro. It is a recent model and will have longer support. Asuswrt-Merlin on 3.0.0.6 "Pro" base is not coming any time soon though. Some of the scripts don't work properly on newer routers or are no longer supported - read the corresponding threads.
I think you're trying to help but sometimes wording doesn't always convey tone over a text thread. For the XBox comment and the 4 years it's a known issue and has been discussed many, many times. Just because you think it should be simple, does not mean that it is simple nor easy to solve. It's not a huge deal as it was easily remedied by leaving the Ubiquiti, pfSense, OpenSense, family of routers. Quite frankly, not that it matters, I'm not a fan at all of Ubiquiti, their company culture, nor their business model and was happy to dump the equipment I had.

I understand networking concepts, used to have my CCNA but haven't had a need for it in many years, and was just looking for something that is good enough for Merlin that won't be discontinued any time soon.

Thanks again for the help.

Send me information as message about gaming consoles issue with higher class equipment, please. I want to see. I'm all Cisco, Netgate and Ruckus on my networks. My parents house is all Cisco. My parents are not gamers though and no one carries gaming consoles there.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!