What's new

RT-AX3000 and TUF-AX3000 (as AP) - what settings should I use for Smart Connect / handover or does Aimesh actually work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sir Caramel

New Around Here
Hello, I've just got a second Asus router and after Aimesh not working and reading lots of posts but still being a little unsure on settings, I'd be grateful for a little help! Generally about Smart Connect and wireless settings to ensure correct 'handover' from router to AP and vice versa. Apologies, but I'm still a bit of a newb and don't know every networking term.

I originally had 4 D-Link products (1 router in the living room and an access points in each bedroom) covering my apartment, each pushing out the same two SSID's for 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz, so family members could walk around the apartment and not drop a connection.

I bought the RT-AX3000 recently and set it up as my main router. I used Smart Connect to give one unified SSID. I bought another Asus router, the TUF-AX3000, to create an Aimesh network and mothball the Dlink devices.

However, Aimesh doesn't work for me, after trying both ethernet backhaul (my preference) and wireless backhaul. The node links up and then goes offline. I've researched the issue for a new days but can't find a reliable fix. I'm now going to set up the TUF as an AP.

I'd prefer to have separate 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz, to see what network my devices are connecting on, but the rest of my family just want a trouble-free experience.

Question 1: Does Smart Connect work well enough to warrant turning it on? Would using it also help in the hand-off between the router and the AP?

Question 2: Since these routers are supposed to auto-find the channels with least interference, would it be best to leave both channels on auto, or to manually input different channels like I've done before?

Question 3: If I had to dig deeper into Smart Connect details and other wireless settings, what settings would you use/try to enable a reliable home network using these two Asus routers set up as router and AP? They are only about 50ft away from each other, so there is wireless overlap. Through a few walls, however.

(edit - added pic of home network topology and note: both routers have been upgraded to the latest firmware).

Thanks very much for checking this out!

Home network topology2.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, I've just got a second Asus router and after Aimesh not working and reading lots of posts but still being a little unsure on settings, I'd be grateful for a little help! Generally about Smart Connect and wireless settings to ensure correct 'handover' from router to AP and vice versa. Apologies, but I'm still a bit of a newb and don't know every networking term.

I originally had 4 D-Link products (1 router in the living room and an access points in each bedroom) covering my apartment, each pushing out the same two SSID's for 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz, so family members could walk around the apartment and not drop a connection.

I bought the RT-AX3000 recently and set it up as my main router. I used Smart Connect to give one unified SSID. I bought another Asus router, the TUF-AX3000, to create an Aimesh network and mothball the Dlink devices.

However, Aimesh doesn't work for me, after trying both ethernet backhaul (my preference) and wireless backhaul. The node links up and then goes offline. I've researched the issue for a new days but can't find a reliable fix. I'm now going to set up the TUF as an AP.

I'd prefer to have separate 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz, to see what network my devices are connecting on, but the rest of my family just want a trouble-free experience.

Question 1: Does Smart Connect work well enough to warrant turning it on? Would using it also help in the hand-off between the router and the AP?

Question 2: Since these routers are supposed to auto-find the channels with least interference, would it be best to leave both channels on auto, or to manually input different channels like I've done before?

Question 3: If I had to dig deeper into Smart Connect details and other wireless settings, what settings would you use/try to enable a reliable home network using these two Asus routers set up as router and AP? They are only about 50ft away from each other, so there is wireless overlap. Through a few walls, however.

(edit - added pic of home network topology and note: both routers have been upgraded to the latest firmware).

Thanks very much for checking this out!

View attachment 28587

Smart Connect is node band steering... it 'steers' the client to the better band/connection for a given node when using same SSIDs for each band. It does not affect roaming from node to node. The default SC settings seem to work for me... I wouldn't know how to change/tune them. The client ultimately decides.

Roaming Assistant is node steering... it 'steers' the client to the better node/connection. You may need to tweak the RA band RSSI threshold(s) for a given layout.

I think it is best to perform a site survey to find the least congested channels. Then set fixed, least congested, non-DFS channels to minimize disruption to client connections. AiMesh uses the same channels across all nodes.

A WiFi Analyzer app can give you a rough idea of WiFi signals around you.

You can easily switch between using and not using Smart Connect, so try it both ways.

In your space, you may need to raise (less negative) the Roaming Assistant 5.0 RSSI threshold if your clients see two good signals and roam too much.

My install notes cover a basic network setup.

Me, I'd prefer to get AiMesh working. Be sure to reset the firmware before configuration.

OE

Thanks very much for your detailed response, OE and thank you for explaining SC so clearly.

I've just been using a Wifi analyser to check on the signals around me and I'm working through your guide.
Just one last question. If I'm trying to go for Aimesh and I have to reset things because of issues, do you recommend to just reset everything on the node, or reset both the node and router and start again?

Smart Connect is node band steering... it 'steers' the client to the better band/connection for a given node when using same SSIDs for each band. It does not affect roaming from node to node. The default SC settings seem to work for me... I wouldn't know how to change/tune them. The client ultimately decides.

Roaming Assistant is node steering... it 'steers' the client to the better node/connection. You may need to tweak the RA band RSSI threshold(s) for a given layout.

I think it is best to perform a site survey to find the least congested channels. Then set fixed, least congested, non-DFS channels to minimize disruption to client connections. AiMesh uses the same channels across all nodes.

A WiFi Analyzer app can give you a rough idea of WiFi signals around you.

You can easily switch between using and not using Smart Connect, so try it both ways.

In your space, you may need to raise (less negative) the Roaming Assistant 5.0 RSSI threshold if your clients see two good signals and roam too much.

My install notes cover a basic network setup.

Me, I'd prefer to get AiMesh working. Be sure to reset the firmware before configuration.

OE
Followed your instructions and got Aimesh up and working. So far it all seems stable. Thanks very much your help, OE.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!