What's new

RT-AX55 sending STP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GoFish

New Around Here
I have a device from my ISP, which is configured as a bridge, and an Asus RT-AX55 router with 3 machines connected to it.

For some reason the router sends STP packets every 2 seconds to at least one of my machines. I'm betting it's sending them to all but I did a Wireshark trace on only one.

This is what the packet looks like:

Source​
Destination​
Protocol​
Length​
Info​
router​
Spanning-tree-(for-bridges)_00​
STP​
60​
Conf. Root = 32768/0/7c:10:c9:2d:a8:78 Cost = 0 Port = 0x8001

The source and destination ports were empty.

I have NO idea why the ROUTER would send STP packets and in its configuration there isn't any mention of STP, so I can't even turn it off. And, like I said, it's the only router in the network, so I don't think I need those and would, at least, like to block my Windows machines from receiving them but with no ports or protocol I don't know what kind of firewall rule to add.

How I can disable the STP on the router and bonus points if anyone knows what firewall rule I can add to Windows Firewall to block such incoming packets.

STP is enabled by default on Asus routers. The amount of traffic is minimal and can be ignored. Depending on the specific hardware/firmware you're using you might see an option under LAN - Switch Control to disable it if it really bothers you.

STP is enabled by default on Asus routers. The amount of traffic is minimal and can be ignored. Depending on the specific hardware/firmware you're using you might see an option under LAN - Switch Control to disable it if it really bothers you.
I know it's minimal, but, yes, it bothers me. Unfortunatelly it's not under "Switch Control" on my GUI, is there an SSH command I can use?

I'm guessing that your router is broadly similar to the other Asus routers I'm familiar with. If so you can turn off STP from SSH with this:
Code:
brctl stp br0 off
Of course if you reboot your router or make GUI changes that affect the LAN interface that change will be undone.

Try issuing this command and see what you get:
Code:
nvram show | grep stp

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!