What's new

RT-AX58U Device Refresh Rate

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AnnieBody

Regular Contributor
Says it all really!
I have found the gui takes ages to update and while doing so displays some absolute garbage!
Say I add a wired device previously setup and working. It can take a very long time - I am talking 20 minutes - before being added to the 'Network Map | View List'.
While waiting and checking I have noticed the list gets updated with nonsense, such as zero clients connected which it is currently displaying - Then how am I able to send this message?
Is this a bug?
Is there a setting I can use to manually update/refresh or improve the update time?
Firmware 3.0.0.4.386.43406.
Regards

I just enter the IP address 192.168.1.1 there is no associated HTTP as far as I am aware.
I do know that there is a problem with Firefox that ignores the settings and defaults to HTTPS before the IP address meaning the router cannot be accessed.
Isn't the software running from the router and independent of the means of access?

If Network Map only is the issue, different question - Is the wired device connected directly to the router or to a switch?

The default setting is 'NO'.
Changing to 'YES' comes up with some info about only HTTPS is supported.
I think you are going well off topic.
I have access to the gui. The means of access to the gui is not in question.

I second this, the client list on my AX58U with latest merlin also sometimes shows no connected devices for a few seconds, and takes many minutes to update and show correct number of currently connected devices. I just assumed it's expected behaviour from a routers firmware.

The devices I have are mixture of wireless and wired. The wired devices are through one or more switches. The wireless direct or through one or more repeater nodes.
I do not believe this makes any difference to the gui as one wired device is listed even though I have turned it off, and the adjacent device on the switch port which is on is not displayed.
All my devices have fixed IP addresses, so I can easily see what is going on with my network in the event of issues except when the display is clearly wrong.
How can I debug a connection issue when I have no confidence that what is being reported is actually correct?
What is the point in having a device list that doesn't even come close to accurately reporting the devices in use?
It doesn't make any sense to me that devices that are always on appear to come and go.
I would assume a scan would take place at a certain interval and the device list would update on what is communicating with the router at the time of the scan. This doesn't appear to be the case.
If I play music through a streamer and I get no drop outs then being told it is no longer connected is clearly wrong.

I have since tried my ISP provided router and this always shows the correctly connected devices and appears to work within seconds, as I would expect.

I wonder if other ASUS routers also have this issue or whether is it just related to the RT-AX58U firmware?

The wired devices are through one or more switches.

It does make a difference in how fast Asuswrt recognizes the connected devices. It may not recognize some of them at all, depending on what switch you have in between. Holding a device on the list after it was disconnected is common. I've seen it on at least 4 different models Asus routers. Asuswrt Network Map is far from perfect/accurate.

All my devices have fixed IP addresses

From experience, devices with static IP address (on the device) may not show ever in Network Map. Manual IP assignments (on the router) usually show up after some time, if not immediately. One or more switches in between make it worse. Managed switch in between may hide the devices attached to it. Managed switch makes also AiMesh 2.0 nodes non-discoverable by the main router.

Last edited:
What is the point in having a device list that doesn't even come close to accurately reporting the devices in use?
Send feedback to Asus through the GUI Feedback page. The Network Map is closed source and beyond anyone’s guess how it works under the covers nowadays.

I can assure you that sending ANY feedback through the ASUS feedback tab just gets ignored.
I have found them to be ignorant! They ask for reams of data which you provide then NEVER get back top you. If you request a progress update they NEVER get back to you.
They seem to think that customers are scum not worthy of any response or assistance.
I don't find it acceptable that a router drops devices because it cannot update the communication effectively. Surely that is the sole aim of a router?
I don't understand why those providing feedback seem to think that stopping devices from communicating with the internet is acceptable behaviour for a router?
This RT-AX58U is the ONLY router I have owned that does this. I am better off with the ISP free ones!
I don't believe that Google routers work this way or else most of the planet would be regularly dropped!

OK. So I accept that as well as the many other obvious bugs in the gui software this is another one and another reason not to buy ASUS.
Can anyone recommend an alternative product that both works as intended, works with WiFi 6 devices and that I can trust?
I don't like the look of it, but is Netgear a reliable brand?
I'd rather have ugly then not working!

What is the "work" with this Network Map tool? Is your network working properly?

Network is working fine when devices connected. Not fine when devices dropping out though.
Also, I have proven when trying to use AiMesh that the gui has many many problems associated with dodgy software.

Network is working fine when devices connected. Not fine when devices dropping out though.
Also, I have proven when trying to use AiMesh that the gui has many many problems associated with dodgy software.
Only Asus can fix these issues with closed-source components. Submit the feedback and take one for the team.

Could you draw a diagram of your network with equipment models? I remember you having issues with settings, not well understanding how things work related. What worries me a bit is this sentence "I just enter the IP address 192.168.1.1 there is no associated HTTP as far as I am aware" in post #3.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!