What's new

RT-AX58U Wifi 6 Speed with iPhone 11

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cording to this article, only channels 50 and 114 offer 160mhz widths.
That post is describing a "channel" numbering scheme for various channel widths that no one uses as far as I can tell.

When you set a 5 GHz channel, you are setting the management channel. 80 MHz channel width will use four contiguous channels. 160 MHz channel width can be implemented 80+80, which is not widely supported, or 160 MHz contiguous. 160 MHz contiguous requires access to DFS channels.

Weird, but I couldn't get the 160 to ever show up for my devices. I've tried all of the channels including DFS.
What devices are you trying? The only devices that support 160 MHz channels are Intel AC9260 or AX200.

Weird, but I couldn't get the 160 to ever show up for my devices. I've tried all of the channels including DFS.

According to this article, only channels 50 and 114 offer 160mhz widths.

I believe that just indicates the center of the block. You can't exactly select "50".

160mhz on low channels meshes public and DFS. "(36+40+44+48) (52+56+60+64)"

Disable mu-mimo and experiment with dl/ul ofdma setting in Professional menu?

I've tried every setting combination possible. Sadly this router has severe WiFi issues even on the most current factory firmware.

I've experienced disconnects and slowdowns on multiple wireless devices.

Not to mention that the QoS is outright broken. It literally felt like I was using an alpha prototype and not a finished product.

Today I exchanged it for the Nighthawk X6S.

While the WiFi and the Dynamic QoS is good so far, the IPv6 DHCP and USB printer; however, do not work.

I've come to finally realize that ALL consumer grade store-bought routers are complete overprised garbage, regardless of the brand. In the past I thought that Asus was at least a cut above the rest but they are just as incompetent as Linksys, Netgear, TPlink, etc

All these companies are too busy cranking out new models with higher numbers in their names, when they should be more focused on polishing the software for their existing models.

Oh well... At some point in the future I'll just have to build my own x86 router and use a separate wifi AP.

It's the only way.

I currently was experimenting with a set of RT-AX58U’s as a router and AiMesh node, and my iPhone 11 Pro and my wife’s iPhone 11 could not get above that either. Both consistently hitting 475-500 Mbps. I have since swapped them out for a set of RT-AX92U’s, and upon switching the devices from the combined 5Ghz-1 band over to the dedicated AX 5Ghz-2 band, I get an increase to about 600 Mbps, but that’s it. No higher. I honestly was expecting a bit more (maybe incorrectly expecting) against my 1 Gig internet connection. I’m starting to think this is all either of these two routers are cable of when paired up with iPhone 11 and 11 Pros.

I currently was experimenting with a set of RT-AX58U’s as a router and AiMesh node, and my iPhone 11 Pro and my wife’s iPhone 11 could not get above that either. Both consistently hitting 475-500 Mbps. I have since swapped them out for a set of RT-AX92U’s, and upon switching the devices from the combined 5Ghz-1 band over to the dedicated AX 5Ghz-2 band, I get an increase to about 600 Mbps, but that’s it. No higher. I honestly was expecting a bit more (maybe incorrectly expecting) against my 1 Gig internet connection. I’m starting to think this is all either of these two routers are cable of when paired up with iPhone 11 and 11 Pros.
iphone does not support 160mhz.
It is probably normal as it is connected at half-duplex 1201Mbps and gets 600Mbps speed.
If you want to get 1 Gbps speed on your portable device, you must make sure it supports the 160mhz band.
For example, intel AC9260 or AX200.

I've tried every setting combination possible. Sadly this router has severe WiFi issues even on the most current factory firmware.

I've experienced disconnects and slowdowns on multiple wireless devices.

Not to mention that the QoS is outright broken. It literally felt like I was using an alpha prototype and not a finished product.

Today I exchanged it for the Nighthawk X6S.

While the WiFi and the Dynamic QoS is good so far, the IPv6 DHCP and USB printer; however, do not work.

I've come to finally realize that ALL consumer grade store-bought routers are complete overprised garbage, regardless of the brand. In the past I thought that Asus was at least a cut above the rest but they are just as incompetent as Linksys, Netgear, TPlink, etc

All these companies are too busy cranking out new models with higher numbers in their names, when they should be more focused on polishing the software for their existing models.

Oh well... At some point in the future I'll just have to build my own x86 router and use a separate wifi AP.

It's the only way.

Asus has almost caught up with its own motherboard in updating router models. For consumer grade products, manufacturers think more about how make consumers pay, rather than really improve the user experience. Enterprise grade products generally don't have major defects or bugs, but it may lack some of the functions required by the home environment. Yes, the x86 router is an option, but your problems focus on wireless, i whink wifi 6 AP with high specification should be expensive.

Asus has almost caught up with its own motherboard in updating router models. For consumer grade products, manufacturers think more about how make consumers pay, rather than really improve the user experience. Enterprise grade products generally don't have major defects or bugs, but it may lack some of the functions required by the home environment. Yes, the x86 router is an option, but your problems focus on wireless, i whink wifi 6 AP with high specification should be expensive.

I've basically decided to go with OpenWrt on an APUboard at some point. The trick is selecting the right wireless AP. I want a good one and don't mind spending the extra $ for an enterprise version; however they are all ceiling mountable.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!