What's new

News RT-AX68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gar

Very Senior Member
I know we touched on this model last week, but this is the first mention I've seen elsewhere even though it doesn't say much:

There sure will be plenty of entry level ASUS models.

As soon as RMerlin support is secured for this model, the RT-AX58U is off to the sale bin. :)

With much faster processors (and I'm assuming AES-NI support too) a 3x3:3 output for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands and the 'stand up' pose that many prefer, it will sell like hotcakes, be more powerful (Wi-Fi) than the RT-AX58U, and with any luck, cheaper too. :)

Reactions: Gar
As soon as RMerlin support is secured for this model, the RT-AX58U is off to the sale bin. :)

With much faster processors (and I'm assuming AES-NI support too) a 3x3:3 output for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands and the 'stand up' pose that many prefer, it will sell like hotcakes, be more powerful (Wi-Fi) than the RT-AX58U, and with any luck, cheaper too. :)

curious to see user benchmarks. according to specs it has stronger ac then the ax58u, but weaker n and ax. also only dual core not tri core. I returned my 1.89ghz ac86u for the ax58u so the higher clock and aes-ni didn't end up being worth it for me in the end. supposedly they gonna sell it for $100? that would be pretty amazing, hope its not too buggy.

I've yet to see the third core light up, on an RT-AX58U. It may have the hardware, but the software isn't using it (yet).

I've yet to see the third core light up, on an RT-AX58U. It may have the hardware, but the software isn't using it (yet).

what do you mean light up? I never see more then one core light up but I assumed thats how it usually works with multi core cpus, which is also the case with my desktop pc too. I think they only use the other cores if they really need too or depending on what process is utilizing cpu depending how its coded. My cpu rarely gets stressed so I don't think the faster cpu is going to make a difference to me. It certainly didn't with the ac86u and was actually more unstable. Actually on the ac86u many times both cores would be getting maxed out and would go crazy. Something very wong with that router lol.

Now if you see 2 cores going to 100% and the other core not getting used at 0%, then yea something is very wrong lol. but thats just not the case. Right now i'm looking at my android app on my phone core 2 is like 12% and core 1 and 3 are at 3%. So think you might be incorrect. Its similar on the web gui too. You are correct I've never seen it do more then 10% I don't think? But its probably never had to in my environment, if it ever spiked I was not there to notice and that would definitely avoid hitches I would otherwise get on a dual core router, imo.

Maybe something is wrong with how amtm is coded if you are stressing the other cores and your core 3 sits at 0? I'm on stock firmware with no extra scripts. I never even see my cpu usage get to 50% unless downloading torrents and watching 4k hdr streams on two tv's at the same time. I have all main features of the router enabled like ai protection, adaptive qos, traffic analyzer. using mac address filtering and 4 guest networks with 40 connected devices, mostly iot. all lan ports used with a couple switches. Though Only a 300/350 fios connection so not even close to gigabit speeds.

I mean exactly what I wrote. The last core is never used whenever I've monitored that aspect.

Nothing to do with a general-purpose device like on a computer. They don't put random hardware on it. Everything is included for a reason.

I mean exactly what I wrote. The last core is never used whenever I've monitored that aspect.

Nothing to do with a general-purpose device like on a computer. They don't put random hardware on it. Everything is included for a reason.
the os on the router is linux which is also common on most operating systems found on desktop pc's. Has nothing to do with the hardware. Its about if the processes being used are written to utilize more then one core or not and how the operating system handles the processes and general cpu utilization.

Something is wrong with your system, software or hardware, if the core 3 on your ax58u is never used and literally sits at 0%. This is simply not the case and should not be . If you don't want to believe that I see all my cores get used thats fine. My Core 3 normally doesn't go above 5% but its there actively fluctuating. People can test this themselves right from the android app.

But I'm assuming before the other 2 cores would get overloaded, like happened alot on the ac86u for mysterious reasons, the core 3 would use much more cpu then it normally does to take some of the load. IF this doesn't happen then you could consider it a problem. but this is just how its supposed to work. Windows has gotten much better, but even they still have certain processes that only use one core. As I said I don't even have one core on my ax58u get stressed, core 2 takes most of the load. lol.

A tri core system should in theory have better stability and higher throughput versus a dual core system. I can only attest to this fact with the ax58u vs the ac86u.

Check out this thread where Merlin and others basically confirms what I've been saying. No activity on 3rd CPU core on AX58U | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

The three, much weaker cores, on the RT-AX58U are no match for the much faster two cores on the RT-AC86U. It's not just 3 cores vs. 2 cores, it's also 'which' cores too.

The router is not running Linux. Neither do most PC's, even if they can.

Never said others haven't seen all three cores used. I haven't.

The three, much weaker cores, on the RT-AX58U are no match for the much faster two cores on the RT-AC86U. It's not just 3 cores vs. 2 cores, it's also 'which' cores too.

Linux is used on most devices. Even windows has started to incorporate it. Asuswrt is based on linux and you know that. I use debian with lxde on an old laptop, and debian and fedora within qubes-os on a desktop.

the ax58u blows away the buggy trashpile called the ac86u in every way except VPN speeds. The 2.4ghz speed is out of this world. and the 5ghz doesn't seem to be any different. But the stability of the ax58u is far far superior. I mean just speaking of cpu speed i never see the cpu graph go absolutely bonkers and max out any cores on my ax58u like it would do occasionally on the ac86u.

I'm willing to bet the extra core is why dcd doesn't constantly crash on the ax58u and I don't have to start turning off features for stability like I would have to do on the ac86u.

I don't know what you mean by which cores. the 1.8ghz vs 1.5ghz clock speed? If a process only utilizes one core and two get used up things get limited and choppy. Speed isn't everything. IF you read Merlins post I would agree with him. I don't think processes on the asus router are using specific cores only. Its more about what cores get general priority. Which seems to be core 2 being the most prioritized, then core 1, then core 3. Core 1 and 3 I notice will sometimes split a load, core 2 does most of the work. Maybe for heat reasons? ax58u runs 10 degrees cooler then the ac86u on average lol.

Last edited:
Windows, only recently, allows it. It isn't 'incorporated' into how Windows functions.

Asuswrt is based on Tomato. But it's not running Linux, either.

2.4GHz performance at the end of 2020 isn't a criterion for 'blowing away' anything. WRT54G's blow away anything too at 54Mbps, max speeds (for range).

Many customers with RT-AC86U's tell me they've never had a more stable network, YMMV.

All cores are not created equal. Which cores, matter.

Agreed the RT-AX58U runs cooler. It is less router. ;)

I know we touched on this model last week, but this is the first mention I've seen elsewhere even though it doesn't say much:

There sure will be plenty of entry level ASUS models.
The FCC listing. https://fccid.io/MSQ-RTAXIA00

So I wonder how long after an announcement it will actually be available?

Last edited:
Windows, only recently, allows it. It isn't 'incorporated' into how Windows functions.

Asuswrt is based on Tomato. But it's not running Linux, either.

2.4GHz performance at the end of 2020 isn't a criterion for 'blowing away' anything. WRT54G's blow away anything too at 54Mbps, max speeds (for range).

Many customers with RT-AC86U's tell me they've never had a more stable network, YMMV.

All cores are not created equal. Which cores, matter.

Agreed the RT-AX58U runs cooler. It is less router. ;)

Tomato is also based on linux. I didn't say windows was.

when I say blow away I mean better speeds and range, not the same. I have a wrt54g too, it doesn't blow anything away and thats pretty facetious to say.

The ac86u has more posts about its instability then any asus router on these forums and more negatve reviews on websites then any other asus router I've seen except the ac-3100. I knew this before I bought it and its my own fault thinking new manufacturing made a difference.

You haven't explained what you mean by "which cores". Because it makes no sense. I'm assuming you are under the impression that certain processes are designed to only use certain cores. As Merlin explained in the ax58u thread I linked this is not how linux works.

Tri-core arguably makes it "more" router lol. Read the 1st post in the guru3d thread the op linked.

Last edited:
Looks like a nice unit. Wonder if the AX55/56/58 line-up changes? If the 68 is $100 the only reason to keep the others might be the form factor. I wasn't an ASUS user back when the AC3100/68/87 were the latest models, don't know how they marketed those together.

Looks like a nice unit. Wonder if the AX55/56/58 line-up changes? If the 68 is $100 the only reason to keep the others might be the form factor. I wasn't an ASUS user back when the AC3100/68/87 were the latest models, don't know how they marketed those together.
Since the AC68U is typically $120, I doubt the AX68U will be less than that.

Aren't they the same form factor? We talking a tri core router vs a dual core router.

I think time will tell. if its as buggy as the ac86u or has the same short life span we will know why it only costs $100. lol If the ax68u is as stable and long lasting as the original and legendary ac68u for only $100 thats a great deal.

I got my ax58u for $125 refurbished from amazon and see it on sale for $150 often. I bet that eventually becomes the retail price. I don't think the ax68u replaces the other ax routers at all, it only replaces the ac68u and ac66u_b1, which is probably asus's plan. So the price might not be that crazy at all since those routers cost only $100-120. Finally dropping from an outrageous $120-150.

I think the problem is the ax86u and ax88u are just overkill and outrageously priced for most people and asus is now realizing this. no way i would of bought the ax58u for $170 when my ac66u_b1 is still capable for my network. ridiculous.

Last edited:

@L&LD ....Not sure how you are checking CPU usage. But if you are using the GUI that is a fairly limited view. To get a more detailed view, I use Putty and SSH into the router, use the "top" command and press the "1" key on my keyboard to toggle to the view showing all CPUs individually. When I used the "top" command I can see that the load is being shared.
1608913117525.png

@L&LD ....Not sure how you are checking CPU usage. But if you are using the GUI that is a fairly limited view. To get a more detailed view, I use Putty and SSH into the router, use the "top" command and press the "1" key on my keyboard to toggle to the view showing all CPUs individually. When I used the "top" command I can see that the load is being shared.
View attachment 28795

Even in the front end I can see activity on the 3rd core once there's a bit 'going on' :)
3rdcoreusedAX58.PNG

Run a speed test while looking at the third core it wakes right up. So it does indeed work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!