What's new

News RT-AX68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The router is not running Linux. Neither do most PC's, even if they can.
You might want to confirm that with @RMerlin - its not a full-blown install, but when you ssh in and can wget and curl, there's plenty of linux bash under the hood doing stuff

@heysoundude, I have. :)

Sooooooo, I'm still leaning AX86U after input from L&LD, as well as researching, and after getting through the chat skirmishes a couple pages back. :oops:

Time to move on from my AC3200, she's been a strong partner for years now, but we may need to part ways for an upgrade. :D Shall go nicely with my 2.5gig capable Surfboard S33

Last edited:
FYI, looks like these are getting close to shipping. I ordered one from Amazon when they became available, and just got an updated estimated delivery of this weekend.

FYI, looks like these are getting close to shipping. I ordered one from Amazon when they became available, and just got an updated estimated delivery of this weekend.
We'll be looking forward to a full report in a week or two! :) What is it replacing?

I just looked at my Amazon wish list. Yesterday it said "usually ships in 1 to 2 months" and today it says "only 2 in stock (more on the way)" so I guess the pipeline is getting filled. I'm still on the fence between this and the AX86U.

We'll be looking forward to a full report in a week or two! :) What is it replacing?
I probably won't be very useful, I'm a pretty vanilla user. It's only going to be used as an AP. I don't have a large house, but it's old with very thick walls, which hurts 5ghz. I have 3 separate routers: An RT-AC68 as my main router, a TP Link Archer A7 as an AP, and an old Netgear DGND3300 as another AP (all hardwired together). The RT-AX68 is replacing the TP Link. I also have an RT-AX86u on order... the estimated ship date on that has slid a couple times. I ordered it first, but it looks like I'll be getting it after the 68. Once it comes in, it will replace the RT-AC68 as my main route, and the AC68 will replace the Netgear.

It has arrived!
20210122_113134.jpg

Set up yet? Impressions so far? Inquiring minds want to know!
Yes, set it up yesterday. It's just being used as an access point in my kitchen, but initial impressions are that it performs better than the Archer A7 it replaced. It's located low in a cabinet in a cabinet, which isn't ideal. But I did tweak the location slightly, so it may have have a slight advantage compared to the old router.

In stock at Newegg $200.

Sometime in the last couple of days, Amazon decided to copy all 8613 reviews from the AC68U to the AX68U page. With only 1 letter difference in the model name, they must be pretty similar, right? ;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!