What's new

RT-AX82U Firmware updates to be supported ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tweakfiend

Occasional Visitor
Hi Merlin & others

I only came across your website yesterday , so apologies if this has been asked before .

Are you , perhaps going to support the RT-AX82U model in the near future with firmware updates ?

I previously used the RT-AC68U, which some time ago auto downloaded a non useable firmware update from Asus, from which it did not recover , and was subsequently sent back to Holland for a refund !
So this question is of great interest.
I assume your downloadable updates for AX models stop the ability of Asus to auto update the firmware , as their system would not recognise your versions ( ?)

Regards

RP

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @Tweakfiend.

RMerlin does not auto-update his firmware. :)

Welcome to the forums @Tweakfiend.

RMerlin does not auto-update his firmware. :)
Thanks for the reply

I am aware from these forums that Merlin does not auto update software, but provides manual download links .

The questions were a) Can RT_AX82U be supported in future ? b) Would "administration " / "firmware upgrade" / "upload" options in router menu allow manual firmware updates from Merlin separately, and not overlap with Asus own process ? ;)

Attachments

• 1616354524842.png
    1616354524842.png
    68 bytes · Views: 143
Last edited:
You may need to read that post again if you're still waiting for an answer for the RT-AX82U.

Once on RMerlin firmware, there is no question of what firmware is installed, unless you do so deliberately or mistakenly.

Question is why is DSL-AX82U firmware by GNUTon able to make Asuswrt-Merlin firmware work while there is a working RT-AX82U asuswrt-merlin compiler that was started in September and has been stagnant for months? I have a suspicion that the RT-AX82U performs better than the RT-AX86U. Anybody have any ideas?

Have you wondered if it would perform better if it had Merlin's firmware?

It is going to have more configuration options, but everything Wi-Fi, AiMesh or TrendMicro related will be the same as original Asuswrt.

There is no question that RMerlin powered routers perform better than any stock Asus firmware I've cared to test with.

I don't have the RT-AX82U, I would never buy that model (with or without RMerlin support), when the RT-AC86U is available.

I had the RT-AX58U, sold it first chance I had.