What's new

Release RT-AX86U 386.45934

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Windows, iOS, Android aren't proper either.

It should look like Firmware (period). But you're preaching to the choir here. Give Asus the feedback instead.

But knowing how other downloads they offer need to conform to the OS in use, I doubt they'll listen. Their market is much broader than our little corner of it.
If you have Mr. Magoo's email over at ASUS, let me know.

"Mr. Magoo is a fictional cartoon character created at the UPA animation studio in 1949. Voiced by Jim Backus, Mr. Magoo is an elderly, wealthy, short-statured retiree who gets into a series of comical situations as a result of his extreme near-sightedness, compounded by his stubborn refusal to admit the problem. Wikipedia"

The OS selection option is there because there is a Firmware Recovery tool that is tied to the OS, in addition to the firmware download.

Asus added a separate "BIOS and Firmware" column last year for OS-unrelated downloads such as a firmware, just use that. I don't see what the fuss is all about here. The reason a firmware may appear first in a specific OS is simply a quirk of how the CMS works, just be patient and it will eventually appear under the BIOS and Firmware section.

The OS selection option is there because there is a Firmware Recovery tool that is tied to the OS, in addition to the firmware download.

Asus added a separate "BIOS and Firmware" column last year for OS-unrelated downloads such as a firmware, just use that. I don't see what the fuss is all about here. The reason a firmware may appear first in a specific OS is simply a quirk of how the CMS works, just be patient and it will eventually appear under the BIOS and Firmware section.
The problem is that you are hit in the face with "pick an OS".
That's how ASUS wants you to navigate.
It's not needed and the "quirk" could be eliminated by not needing to CMS populate more than one download for firmware.

At the very least, if there is in fact some method at work, is that you populate based on the newest OS first. Windows 7, which is basically a dead OS always appears before the others. And most recently it was Windows 7 and 11 but not 10. 10 always is last.

Chronically, some here always asks, "Where is my download can you provide a link?"

I know how to navigate the poor system from practice.

Other's advice to just skip the OS selection and go to the other tab proves my point. (go back to my first sentence)

The problem is that you are hit in the face with "pick an OS".
The fields are clearly labeled here:

1636828029770.png

Are you looking to download a Driver & Tool, or a BIOS & Firmware?

Pick the correct category...

I already explained why both categories exists.

The fields are clearly labeled here:

View attachment 37336

Are you looking to download a Driver & Tool, or a BIOS & Firmware?

Pick the correct category...

I already explained why both categories exists.
I understand your thought process.
But & means something in addition to, "Bios & Firmware" are the same one singular thing.

So how about renaming the tabs to Recovery Tool :and: Firmware, respectfully.
And not putting an OS dependent choice until after you selected the tab for Tools, ie "Recovery Tool".

I'm not even clear on how ASUS lumps "Driver" (which to me means Firmware) and & "Tools" under the same tab. I would think that is why they attempted to make separate columns /tabs.

They even chose to use another word "Utilities" for the Recovery Tool. They could be consistent with the naming scheme.

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

So how about renaming the tabs to Recovery Tool :and: Firmware, respectfully.
Asus isn't going to design a unique separate page just for their routers. Keep in mind that website must be designed to also cover all the other products that they sell. The current tab names are fine.

Bios and Firmware have nothing to do with Windows.

I just use the Bios and Firmware link: RT-AX86U
You can't select Firmware from Column A, at all, unless you select an OS.
So you have Column A (1st choice) for Firmware or Column B, 2nd choice for Firmware.

Firmware is called Driver in Column A and Bios in B.

3 words that all refer to the same thing, not separate things.

The page needs a makeover, it's weak by design.

I'm glad you got it figured out.

It's not hard. You've figured it out too. :)

Other than what has been stated, is anyone who is using this firmware having any issues?

No issues, in my experience all the firmware's work OK for me, at times one needs to reset, start from scratch.....

Dirty upgrade works for everyone, or full reset / reconfig required ?

Uptime: 12 days 20 hour(s) 36 minute(s) 39 seconds
I did the update through the GUI page, no reset.
I have no other nodes though.

So unrelated to firmware, but running an AC86u (rock solid) but thinking since i found the AX86u in stock it may be good time to upgrade. Any issues with AX86u? Pulling the trigger on one tonight..

Last edited:
So unrelated to firmware, but running an AC86u (rock solid) but thinking since i found the AX86u in stock it may be good time to upgrade. Any issues with AX86u?
No issues with mine, I just run the stock firmware. It is the best router I have owned, I just wish it could block ads like my old Synology router.

No issues with mine, I just run the stock firmware. It is the best router I have owned, I just wish it could block ads like my old Synology router.

Great..im about 15 minutes from pulling the trigger.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!