What's new

RT-AX86U: Changing Device Label In Client Settings So That I Can Change to the "Default" Icon

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

austenpowers

Occasional Visitor
I have a very minor question that relates to a cosmetic issue only... but I'll throw it out there anyway (and share what I've learned - by accident)...

So, I have learned for some client devices that if you open the device settings and look at the top-left corner where the client icon is displayed, if you click on "Default" your icon will actually change to the custom vendor-specific icon (which can be found in a file called "vender-list.png" which is stored on your router in the directory path below)...

admin@RT-AX86U-9DA8:/tmp/home/root# cd /www/images/New_ui/networkmap/
admin@RT-AX86U-9DA8:/www/images/New_ui/networkmap# pwd
/www/images/New_ui/networkmap
admin@RT-AX86U-9DA8:/www/images/New_ui/networkmap# ls -lhtr vender-list*
-rw-rw-r-- 1 admin root 12.5K Jan 1 14:26 vender-listover.png
-rw-rw-r-- 1 admin root 12.2K Jan 1 14:26 vender-list.png

For example...

ASUS router icons_Samsung QN55Q80T QLED TV.png

If you notice the image above, I clicked on "Default" and the custom Samsung icon appeared. I believe this happened because the "Device" is labelled "Samsung".

However, I have another Samsung TV where this did not work. For example...

ASUS router icons_Samsung PN60F8500 Plasma TV.png

As you can see, in this case the Device label reads "SmartTV", so when I click on "Default" nothing changes.

So my question: is there a way in which I can modify the "Device" label for my clients so that I can change icons to the custom vendor-specific icons?

I'm really knit-picking here and it's no big deal, but if someone knows how to do it, I'd appreciate some advice/direction.

Tks,
Todd

So my question: is there a way in which I can modify the "Device" label for my clients so that I can change icons to the custom vendor-specific icons?

I'm really knit-picking here and it's no big deal, but if someone knows how to do it, I'd appreciate some advice/direction.
See the following comment, if you haven't seen it already, by RMerlin about the default icon.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/additional-device-icons.33102/page-9#post-632629
The default icon is based on device identification done by the closed source networkmap.
One can always upload their own icon by selecting Change and scrolling down to the bottom of the icon list and select Upload. See the full Additional Device Icons thread from the link above that has a lot more discussion on the device icons.

@bennor thanks so much for the quick reply. Yeah I had found and searched that thread, but wasn't able to find RMerlin's comment Thanks for pointing that out.

So "closed source networkmap"?... I'm guessing this means we cannot change the Device Label? (At least not from within the Router UI or commandline)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!