What's new

Release RT-AX86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_45898 (2021-10-07)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The problem with this build and the last couple are the drop cache automatic thing that happens from time to time. It drops my lan connections. Cool its freeing up ram but I've got 580mb free don't need 601.

PPPoE has been obsoleted in much of the Australian internet connections. There is no requirement to login anymore.
I believe that the connections are made with Permanent Virtual Circuits in the backbone network.
IPTV settings are not used.
I did a factory reset when going to the new (45898) level of router firmware. After that when reverting to the older and working firmware (45375) I did another factory reset.
Given that level of firmware has always worked satisfactorily I felt confident in using a saved configuration at that level.
I am careful each time when making changes to the router configuration to save a copy of the configuration. Those files are saved in a folder named by the version level of the firmware.
As a further check to ensure that configuration files are not mixed up I save the configuration files with the last 5 digits of the version level and the date expressed as yyyy mm dd and often with a comment.
Those comments may be a bit cryptic but are meaningful to me.
See my examples from Windows 10 Explorer here.
View attachment 36953
Just a thought - If you had DNS Filter enabled on the last Asus Firmware for the AX86U, disable it before doing an upgrade. This version of the AX86U firmware does not have DNS FIlter but some NVRAM settings may linger and cause problems. While I did not have problems upgrading I also did a hard factory reset afterwards to test the default WIFI settings. I did not go back to my prior settings even though I do save settings much the way you save your settings.
No issues here with this Asus firmware. No WAN/LAN or WIFI drops.

Just a thought - If you had DNS Filter enabled on the last Asus Firmware for the AX86U, disable it before doing an upgrade. This version of the AX86U firmware does not have DNS FIlter but some NVRAM settings may linger and cause problems. While I did not have problems upgrading I also did a hard factory reset afterwards to test the default WIFI settings. I did not go back to my prior settings even though I do save settings much the way you save your settings.
No issues here with this Asus firmware. No WAN/LAN or WIFI drops.
It took me a bit of searching to find DNS Filter and when I got there I realised that it has never been on in any release applied to my router. However, while I was searching I noticed that IPv6 was off. From my records, I note that I turned it on several releases back in August (I have no recall or record of setting it off) and then turned it on at the ISP. Yes, it is user selectable at the ISP. I might try and turn it off at my ISP and then have another go at 45898. I have always thought that the problem is some sort of interaction problem with the router and the ISP. I recall that the router complained that it had a DNS problem. Recall also that the ONT indicators are showing both transmit and receive activity even while the router was making complaints about DNS. Also support at the ISP support were able to (unprompted) note that I had an ASUS router. This was not disclosed here previously but may be significant. There was some basic communications with the ISP but not enough for normal operation. I have also raised a problem with ASUS late on Friday but I don't expect to from them for at least another 24 to 48 hours.

I did a factory reset several times while trying to implement 45898 does this not clear NVRAM? Is there a method of clearing NVRAM and is it wise to do so given that it may hold some settings unavailable to the user.

I have an RT-AX86U at 3.0.0.4.386_45375. I tried to update it last week to 45898 and while it appeared to load OK it wouldn't communicate to the internet citing DNS problems.
I didn't have time to deal with it at the time so a went back to 45375 and it loaded up and worked immediately.
I had another attempt to go to 45898 again today. It failed again and again complained about DNS problems.
My setting was Connect to DNS Server automatically=yes . I then tried both 8.8.8.8 (Google) and then 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) and same complaint about DNS.
I did a hard reset using ASUS method 2 from here https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078
I did basic configuration as per the ASUS startup wizard which sets the internet type, wifi, and user name and PW.
It still failed with the same complaint about DNS.
I copied the syslog for this and it is attached.
I am now back on 45375 (with factory reset and loaded a previously saved config) and all is well but I need some help with getting 45898 going.
Bob

edit: It seems that I'm also having trouble attaching the Syslog.txt. Any help would be useful.
I had another attempt at loading up the 45898 firmware today.
It was successful.
I still loaded 45898 then did a factory reset and reboot but this time I did it all with the WAN cable disconnected until I was about to login to complete the factory reset.
I found some comments on the ISP web site that ASUS routers sometimes get the ISP port screwed up.
In one of my attempts I spent more than 30 minutes on the phone with the ISP Help desk with no success.
I was thinking that surely I am not the only RT-AX86U user migrating to firmware 45898 on their system or maybe I was just the unlucky one.
Now to finish off the DHCP assignments for all of my devices. That should keep me busy.
Thanks for all of the advice.
Bob

If using the 2.5 port for WAN you can set it in dual wan page.

During setup from a full reset it also gives you this option.

Screenshot 2021-10-25 095706.jpg

If using the 2.5 port for WAN you can set it in dual wan page.

During setup from a full reset it also gives you this option.

View attachment 37017
The speed of my fibre connection has a potential of up to 1Gbps but unfortunately I can't afford more than 50Mbps.
I would like more but I am many years retired and there are higher priority items.
Is there a router advantage to using that port in my circumstances?

The speed of my fibre connection has a potential of up to 1Gbps but unfortunately I can't afford more than 50Mbps.
I would like more but I am many years retired and there are higher priority items.
Is there a router advantage to using that port in my circumstances?
No. Use the WAN port. Use the 2.5 GB port as another LAN port. I have my NAS connected to it even though the NAS has only a 1 GB port. Do use the Adaptive QOS with manually assigned upload/download speeds. If your ISP is like mine they over provision the bandwidth by 10% so you can start by setting the up/down bandwidth to 50.0 Mbps. Using the built in speed test will give you good results.
Glad you got it working :)

No. Use the WAN port. Use the 2.5 GB port as another LAN port. I have my NAS connected to it even though the NAS has only a 1 GB port. Do use the Adaptive QOS with manually assigned upload/download speeds. If your ISP is like mine they over provision the bandwidth by 10% so you can start by setting the up/down bandwidth to 50.0 Mbps. Using the built in speed test will give you good results.
Glad you got it working :)
Same here, using the green 2.5G port on the router for my WD My Cloud NAS (1 GB port), works great.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!