What's new

RT-AX86U Guest Wifi Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RouteOFevil

New Around Here
Hello,
I have the RT-AX86U and have noticed an issue when setting up Guest WIFI.

''Access Intranet'' - ''disable'' is blocking some websites but not all. Very strange.

My initial thoughts are that the blocked sites require some sort of interaction/resource that Guest Wifi mode is blocking access to.

Accessing the same sites over ethernet and ''Access Intranet'' - enabled works fine.

I really would like to know how to work around this as the guest wifi should be blocking the intranet access as that is its purpose.

If it is a software fault, how do you submit a bug to the firmware dev?

I would like to know if any other RT-AX86U owners have encountered the same problem.

Thanks.

If you are using Asus firmware it is likely the same issue that has been reported for the AX86U Pro. You can send a feedback report from the router Administration/ Feedback. Enabling Intranet access may help or use Guest WIFI 2 or 3.

What firmware version are you running?

Please provide examples of the websites that are blocked.

Are you using guest Wi-Fi #1, #2 or #3?

Same here since the newest firmware on my AX86U Pro (I have a non-Pro as a mesh node). Firmware 3.0.0.4.388_24198. I narrowed it down to DNS not working because the Guest network must go through the primary router for DNS, it won't pass along DNS servers directly (e.g. 9.9.9.9). Can't even ping the guest-facing DNS router IP after the latest firmware, thus nothing on the Internet works.

Using Guest #1 on 2.4 and 5Ghz.

Same here since the newest firmware on my AX86U Pro (I have a non-Pro as a mesh node). Firmware 3.0.0.4.388_24198. I narrowed it down to DNS not working because the Guest network must go through the primary router for DNS, it won't pass along DNS servers directly (e.g. 9.9.9.9). Can't even ping the guest-facing DNS router IP after the latest firmware, thus nothing on the Internet works.

Known issue with AX86U Pro. Workaround is enable Intranet access.

As indicated, known issue. A number of other discussions on the issue. One workaround, as indicated, is to enable Intranet Access. Another possible workaround, if not using AiMesh, is to use YazFi. Or one can try rolling back to earlier firmware.

Last edited:
Same here, newest firmware on my RT-AX86U Pro Firmware 3.0.0.4.388_24198 guest network don't have internet access anymore

Same here, newest firmware on my RT-AX86U Pro Firmware 3.0.0.4.388_24198 guest network don't have internet access anymore
Known issue. DNS failure on Guest WIFI. Temp fix is to enable Intranet access.

Known issue. DNS failure on Guest WIFI. Temp fix is to enable Intranet access.

Or, use guest2 WLANs on root node only... less coverage but more secure.

OE

Since it's a known issue and only recently broke, has anyone heard from Asus when it might be fixed in firmware?

Asus doesn't communicate those details. They just release firmware. Sometimes, even with relevant notes of the fixes included.

It seems that there's a new firmware release on the ASUS support page that might fix this:
ASUS RT-AX86U Pro Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_24199
Version 3.0.0.4.388_24199 52.74 MB 2024/01/04

Bug Fixes and Enhancements:
- Resolved guest network connectivity issues on AiMesh nodes by disabling guest network internal access.

It seems that there's a new firmware release on the ASUS support page that might fix this:
I just updated and disabled the Intranet access for Guest 1 again, and so far everything seems to be working again. 👍

I had to add the DNS manually to each Vlan, under the Advanced section in Guest Network Pro (ax88u pro). Doesn't default to default, maybe a feature, as each vlan can have different DNS

I had to add the DNS manually to each Vlan, under the Advanced section in Guest Network Pro (ax88u pro). Doesn't default to default, maybe a feature, as each vlan can have different DNS
We don't have GNP (yet)...

Forgive the noob questions, but my vague understanding is that this is a known issue, and was potentially fixed in the 3.0.0.4.388_24199 firmware from 2024/01/04, specifically released for the RT-AX86U Pro. However the latest firmware for the RT-AX86U (a.k.a. "ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S)") is 3.0.0.4.388_24231 from 2023/11/07, which does not appear to claim to fix such an issue.

1) Is the issue also known/confirmed to affect the non-Pro model? If not, is there any reason to believe it _wouldn't_ affect the non-Pro model?
2) If so, am I right that the latest non-Pro model firmware likely doesn't include the same fix?
3) I understand that ASUS doesn't communicate these things, but would you expect to see an equivalent firmware release for the non-Pro model in the near future?
4) Is the fix included in the Merlin 388.5 or 388.6 (or later) releases for either model? I don't see anything related in the changelogs.
5) In general, is there a definitive way to know which official ASUS firmware releases each Merlin release is based on? Or does that question not even make sense?

Based on some other conversation it seems like the Pro and non-Pro models are very similar, if not almost identical, but I certainly would not attempt to flash the latest Pro firmware unless I heard a recommendation for it. Also I'm not really willing to give up the Merlin features anyway.

Thanks in advance for enlightening me.

Last edited:
More similar than even almost identical. But firmware builds are exactly specific and not portable between them.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!