What's new

RT-AX86U Initial Setup Recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Con

Occasional Visitor
My new RT-AX86U should arrive this week. I am looking for any recommendations as to initial setup for best operation. I have read that I should disable both Airtime Fairness and Beamforming. Any other suggestions that you folks that have had an RT-AX86U for sometime would be appreciated. Also wondering what the consensus is regarding updating to the latest Asus firmware.

My new RT-AX86U should arrive this week. I am looking for any recommendations as to initial setup for best operation. I have read that I should disable both Airtime Fairness and Beamforming. Any other suggestions that you folks that have had an RT-AX86U for sometime would be appreciated. Also wondering what the consensus is regarding updating to the latest Asus firmware.

Mine shipped with 384 code. I loaded newest "stock" 386 and did the minimum setup. It was very speedy. After it ran for a little while I loaded Merlin but things did not go smoothly and internet pages weren't loading, despite doing a "factory reset". Apparently, I didn't let it update long enough (386 code jump takes some time to update internal code base but should not take most of the day). I don't know what my issue was.

I ended up going back to stock (which ran well) before going to bed. When I reloaded Merlin in the morning, followed by a second attempt "GUI Factory Reset" with the box next to it checked and the JFFS reset box also checked (hit apply on the bottom of Page) everything went smoothly.

I expected the 384 - 386 switch to take less time.

My modem also required a power off (pull plug) so it would reset.

Airtime Fainess = off
Universal Beamforming = off

Explicit Beamforming = on (others will say different but my ROKU gets a much faster connection with it on)

Make sure to get all your downloads in advance, including the rescue software off the ASUS site.

Newer "rescue software" here:

Pretty much agree with John.
I use Dual Band Smart Connect
2.4 GHz @ 20 MHz on channel 1, 6 or 11
5 GHz @ 160 MHz on channel 36*
WPA2/WPA3
I use Guest 1 2.4 GHz for my few IoT devices I want to keep away from my LAN devices.

I also use AiProtection and Asus QOS with manual settings

If you decided to use Asus Firmware the Version 3.0.0.4.386.42095 works very well.
I do recommend the Merlin firmware for the added features especially DNSSEC and DoT.

* I use channel 36 @ 160 MHZ as this gives eight consecutive 20 MHz channels for AX clients while allowing older clients that do not like DFS channels to still conect.

Thank you very much John Fitzgerald and bbunge for your clear and helpful replies. Having such a wealth of knowledge on this site makes it so much easier for those of us getting new equipment. Certainly avoids a lot of trial, error and frustration. Thank you again for your time and help.

I currently have Comcast 800Mbps and am considering going to the gigabit option. I will be connecting the RT-AX86U to an Arris S33 that also has a 2.5 GB port. To achieve the full 1.2Gb download speed would I need to go from the modem and connect to the WAN port on the router and then from the 2.5GB on the router to a 2.5 GB adapter plugged into my computer? Thanks for any suggestions/instructions.

No, you will not be able to have a 2.5GbE LAN and 2.5GbE WAN with a single 2.5GbE port.

In your situation, I would use the 2.5GbE Port on the router to connect to the computer (or ideally, a 2.5GbE switch, for the rest of the devices too).

'Losing' 0.2 Gbps on the ISP side isn't anything I would worry about.

There is virtually nothing on the internet that will sustain that kind of performance (routed) for any real use load.

Pretty much agree with John.
I use Dual Band Smart Connect
2.4 GHz @ 20 MHz on channel 1, 6 or 11
5 GHz @ 160 MHz on channel 36*
WPA2/WPA3
I use Guest 1 2.4 GHz for my few IoT devices I want to keep away from my LAN devices.

I also use AiProtection and Asus QOS with manual settings

If you decided to use Asus Firmware the Version 3.0.0.4.386.42095 works very well.
I do recommend the Merlin firmware for the added features especially DNSSEC and DoT.

* I use channel 36 @ 160 MHZ as this gives eight consecutive 20 MHz channels for AX clients while allowing older clients that do not like DFS channels to still conect.
Thank you very much, would it be possible to share some screenshots of your best recommended settings for this router? I just recieved it today and I am wondering what are the best settings to apply? Do I also proceed and install the latest Merlin stable release for this router? what about WPS? do I need to switch that off?

Update the new AX86U with the latest stock Asus firmware. When you set it up the new router already requests to do this. Run mostly default settings with first setup. Default settings usually work fine with these latest Asus routers. Changing too many settings from default does not always mean better performance.

Use WPA2 instead of WPA2/3. I turn off Smart Connect and set up separate SSIDs but it's up to you if you want to use Smart Connect. If you run into issues with Wifi connections to your devices then you can use the suggestions posted regarding Air Time Fairness, etc..

Make sure your new router is working as it should with the stock firmware. After some time... I recommend weeks then you can flash to the latest stable Merlin build if that is your preference. This way you know that your new Asus router hardware is functioning properly. Otherwise you will wonder if you run into problems whether they were firmware related.

Update the new AX86U with the latest stock Asus firmware. When you set it up the new router already requests to do this. Run mostly default settings with first setup. Default settings usually work fine with these latest Asus routers. Changing too many settings from default does not always mean better performance.

Use WPA2 instead of WPA2/3. I turn off Smart Connect and set up separate SSIDs but it's up to you if you want to use Smart Connect. If you run into issues with Wifi connections to your devices then you can use the suggestions posted regarding Air Time Fairness, etc..

Make sure your new router is working as it should with the stock firmware. After some time... I recommend weeks then you can flash to the latest stable Merlin build if that is your preference. This way you know that your new Asus router hardware is functioning properly. Otherwise you will wonder if you run into problems whether they were firmware related.
Thank you very much! Do you recommend switching off WPS?

Thank you very much! Do you recommend switching off WPS?
Yes, That's what I do.

Under the LAN tab you can also change your IP address from the default of 192.168.50.1 to 192.168.1.1 or whatever your preference is. This doesn't really matter unless you have clients on your network already set up that require that you use a particular IP range. You could leave it as default if you want.

I can't recall if this is already default but I also always check to make sure to have this setting... Under Administration tab > Remote Access Configuration > Enable web access to WAN = No

There are so many settings options with these Asus routers. It's best to keep it simple at first and you can experiment with them later as you get used to the main features working the way they should.

Last edited:
You're welcome. Post more questions in this forum any time. There is a wealth of experienced and incredibly knowledgeable Asus router owners and enthusiasts here. Enjoy your new AX86U router. :)
Thank you and I also want to return the favour and contribute to this wonderful community as well in any way I can as I learn more and more.

Thank you very much, would it be possible to share some screenshots of your best recommended settings for this router? I just recieved it today and I am wondering what are the best settings to apply? Do I also proceed and install the latest Merlin stable release for this router? what about WPS? do I need to switch that off?

My install notes can help. Ignore the AiMesh bits unless you add a node.

OE

Quick question, when I set the UPNP to No, my xbox series x disconnected and I could not get it work connect to xbox live until I re-enabled UPNP on the router, any ideas how I can fix this?

Quick question, when I set the UPNP to No, my xbox series x disconnected and I could not get it work connect to xbox live until I re-enabled UPNP on the router, any ideas how I can fix this?

As I say in my notes, disable UPnP unless needed... sounds like you need it.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!