What's new

RT-AX86U / Merlin 386.3_2 / Squeezebox Duet Receiver (Logitech)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Did you try disabling the options I mentioned in post #3? They are the ones that frequently cause issues with older devices.
I've always been on a fixed channel and I did change the channel bandwidth to 20 / 40 and have had no trouble with these older devices since changing the bandwidth. I would like to have the bandwidth set at 40 because it appears that with the setting of 20 / 40 none of my other 2.4GHz devices are able to get the 40 bandwidth.

Is it possible to repurpose one of your old routers as a wireless access point to connect only your Squeezebox devices?

Thanks for the suggestion Tom. In the past when I had 2 DGND3700v1's I tried to set up one of them as an access point, but the only way is through a Netgear wireless repeater mode. I was not able to set one up as a "real" AP like I've seen done with a Linksys EA6350 router. And with the expanded wifi coverage I'm getting with the RT-AX86U over what I had before it seems like a waste for these problem devices. I'll just "suffer" through with the bandwidth set at 20 / 40 and hope that ASUS will eventually provide an update that allows me to go back to straight 40MHz bandwidth with these older g devices.

I'm new around here as I've recently upgraded to this router and Merlin firmware and for the most part I'm extremely happy with this choice. I figured I'd start in the Merlin area and see if I can get some help. My Duet receivers are being "Deauthenticated" and then they come right back. The problem is the music server changes the player to another device and I have to reset the server back to the desired receiver. Below is the system log entries I believe shows what I'm talking about. Can anyone give me a hint as to what I may be looking at to fix this as I didn't have the problem on my old router. These receivers are old - 2.4GHz only and supposedly 802.11b/g/n compatible.

Like @ColinTaylor mentioned in post #3 & #20 in this thread and @Tech9 linked to in post #6, I would try Disabling a some of those options on the 2.4GHz band.

The user in this post said his Squeezeboxes wouldn't stay connected until he Disabled AX Mode / WiFi 6 Mode for the 2.4 GHz band.

If you want, try and leave the Channel Width at 40MHz then disable AX mode and see what happens. If it still happens try disabling more of those other options they referred to. If needed try 20MHz.

I have a couple of Squeezeboxes and am planning to install an AX86U myself so I happened to boookmark that post when I came across it.

Good Luck

Last edited:
In case this helps, until very recently I had both a Boombox and Squeezebox 2 (now replaced with a PolyVection DAC32 after the Squeezebox died) connected without any 'receiver swapping' problems. I use fixed channels on 2.4GHz, Wi-fi 6 /AX is enabled but Wi-Fi Agile Multiband, Airtime Fairness, Multi-User MIMO and Universal Beamforming are all disabled. I am only using 20Mhz due to the local congestion on the 2.4 GHz band.

Moved my channel width back to 40MHz and disabled wifi 6 on 2.4Ghz. So far no disconnect.

In case this helps, until very recently I had both a Boombox and Squeezebox 2 (now replaced with a PolyVection DAC32 after the Squeezebox died) connected without any 'receiver swapping' problems. I use fixed channels on 2.4GHz, Wi-fi 6 /AX is enabled but Wi-Fi Agile Multiband, Airtime Fairness, Multi-User MIMO and Universal Beamforming are all disabled. I am only using 20Mhz due to the local congestion on the 2.4 GHz band.
Good to know, Thanks for adding that.

@W3Wilkes, with the info in the post above I'm wondering if 40MHz and Wifi6 On, and the other stuff mentioned Off for 2.4GHz would work for you... Interesting

Last edited:
With WiFi 6 disabled and 40MHz on the 2.4 radio it did cycle off and on again. Turned Wifi 6 back on and now trying settings to match @archiel setting except leaving 2.4GHz at 40MHz bandwidth. They were the same except for Universal Beam forming was enabled so I shut that off. we'll see how this goes.

If that doesn't work I guess you'd have to go back and try some combination of things with 20MHz, at least to try and figure out what might be causing the problem.

Let us know

I have the Logitech Transporter running against an AX88U with not problems with AX settings and 80mhz channel. I'm surprised you are having such connectivity problems.

As I understand it, the issue is not that the receivers (in this case 2 x Duet) do not play, rather that when a authentication/reauthentication event occurs the signal (music) on device 1 can be redirected to device 2. With only one receiver (your Transporter) it will always reauthenticate to the same device.

Out of curiosity, does the Transporter support 5.0 GHz or did you mod it in some way? I thought it only worked on b & g on 2.4 GHz, which would give it a max bandwidth of 40 Mhz.

Well that didn't take long. The devices cycled within about 15 minutes. Set universal beamforming back to enabled and set 2.4GHz band back to 20 / 40 with wifi 6 enabled. This works and devices don't de-auth / auth, but I never see 40MHz capable devices get the speed they get when width is set to pure 40MHz.
Just FYI, the 3 devices that cycle are 2 Duet receivers and 1 Boom.

LMS 8.2.0 - 1627922070 @ Tue Aug 3 11:28:42 WEDT 2021 / WHS2011 server

Hey, it's been a full day without the 3 Squeezebox devices cycling. I'm set at 40MHz bandwidth on 2.4GHz and wifi 6 enabled. The big change is I went to the stock 3.0.0.4.386_45375 ASUS firmware. 2.4GHz devices that can use the 40MHz bandwidth now can do speed test @ 150Mbps down / 126Mbps up as they should. Whatever ASUS has done in this firmware version needs to be incorporated to @RMerlin 's firmware to fix the issue I've been having with 386.3_2 and these old devices on the 2.4GHz band and also fix the speed this band is capable of.

Yes, RMerlin firmware is using much older GPL code from June/July or earlier (as that is all that is/was available to him).

RMerlin 386.4 final release or later will incorporate the fixes that Asus has from their end of August 2021 firmware.

Depending on when Asus begins releasing the GPL code to RMerlin (at least).

As I understand it, the issue is not that the receivers (in this case 2 x Duet) do not play, rather that when a authentication/reauthentication event occurs the signal (music) on device 1 can be redirected to device 2. With only one receiver (your Transporter) it will always reauthenticate to the same device.

Out of curiosity, does the Transporter support 5.0 GHz or did you mod it in some way? I thought it only worked on b & g on 2.4 GHz, which would give it a max bandwidth of 40 Mhz.
It only supports 2.4ghz on g. I wish we could get a network card in there that supported something higher.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!