What's new

RT-AX86U Pro Astrill VPN applet issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for letting me know, I will talk to customer support to resolve my issue with astrill vpn applet.

Hey there. Just wondering, did you get it sorted?

I just recieved the AX88U PRO, also here in China, and was going to install the Astrill applet, but now I'm concerned there will be extra steps. So wondering if you got it solved on the 86U-Pro. :)

Hey guys, I have solved this issue.

I think the reason is Astrill applet lost the file "openvpn" with a mystery reason. If you have entry the astrill folder, and you can find the file "openvpn.conf", and "openvpn.log", but there is no file "openvpn". And I can say definitely we have a same problem, and you can fix it with below steps.

The solution is simple and efficient: delete old astrill applet files & re-install the applet, done. Everything be alright. Happy surfing!

The steps that I went through, and it works:

1) ssh login your router IP, for myself "root" is the account name, my router administration IP address is 1"92.168.2.1", such as this is my ssh info, after this input your password, and you will entry router administration place:
2) Locate astrill's default installation folder, for me, the folder is "/dev/astrill", and I will entry the folder /dev/, input
⬆ entry the folder /dev/, and then:
rm -rf astrill/
⬆ This will delete all the files which has been installed in the folder /dev/astrill/; After you delete the files, and then you can check the result with:
cd /astrill/
ls
cd ..
⬆ entry the folder, list all files, back to the upper level directory.
Nothing? You have already deleted all files from astrill in this folder.
3) Re-install the astrill router applet with the astrill router set-up line, this is mine without any account information:
eval `wget -q -O - http://astrillbala********`

And you will found the familiar lines with a smile on face:
Fetching files... done.
Installing Astrill VPN binary... done.
Astrill router applet 2.9.45 installed successfully !
Astrill is installed under menu 'Astrill VPN' on the left

My environment:
RAX50 (base model: RT-AX58U)
BCM675x - Cortex A7 ARMv7 revision 5 (Cores: 3)

Ps: I believe the developers of Astrill will eventually realize the existence of this issue after many users have left the product. Or they will never, because I found their customer service has no knowledge about technology and they will apologize with hackneyed and stereotyped expressions, without any forwarding to technology members. In consideration of its high price, this isn't a good indication.

Depends on this issue, I would not continue next Astrill bill. It's time to find another stable choice.

Last edited:
I tried to install Astrill VPN applet on my new Asus RT-AX86U PRO via putty i got this message

Fetching files... done.
Installing Astrill VPN binary... FAILED
WARNING: Default OpenVPN binary will be used. Stealth Mode is not available.
/bin/sh: eval: line 1: /dev/astrill/openvpn: not found
Astrill router applet 2.9.39 installed successfully !
Astrill is installed under menu 'Astrill VPN' on the left
If you don't see 'Astrill VPN' menu on the left, please hit CTRL+F5 or clear browser cache.

i don't have much knowledge on router, Still my RT-AC88U have no issues with my astrill VPN applet

Thanks
Hi there, find the newest answer and you will fix it.

@ADDon88 Hope you have enabled mail notification. 😆
Hey there! I have notifications on, but still got no notification... 😥

So I tried today to set the Applet, but no joy. It just doesn't work. :(

The Astrill instructions say I needs to enable '"Format JFFS partition at next boot"' first, but I don't have that option.

I can install the Astrill files via SSH, but when going to the Applet, it's a blank page, probably because of the JFFS issue.

I asked so many people, so many times, will Astrill Applet work. Everyone said, as long as it has Merlin, your fine.

Now I just have a super expensive router that seems pretty useless. :(

EDIT: Just spoke to Astrill suppport. They told me to login via IP address, NOT the ASUS page, and the applet is working! i have a feeling it will disappear of i reboot the router, but so far, at least it's there!

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!