What's new

Beta RT-AX86U Pro firmware 9.0.0.6.102.4856 2023/3/21

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Am I reading this correctly, that I can use the RT-AX88U Pro to be a AP, with VLAN tagging back to a PfSense/OpenSense Firewall allowing for VLAN trunk back with 3 different networks?
Has anyone tried this yet?
Will it come to the RT-AX88U non pro? I currently have two with Merlin FW, and really need this VLAN feature in any AP thats good and has up to 6e, and externa Antennas.
Also, wondering why its been in beta so long, is Asus committed to this feature? its been almost a year in beta.
Thanks in advance!

Yes. Someone mentioned it in another thread and the answer is - No.
Apparently none of the VLAN features are available in AP Mode at the moment.

Will it come to the RT-AX88U non pro?

No. It requires specific hardware and SDK. Available for the new Pro routers only.
Your best course of action is getting proper business class APs for your pfSense appliance.

Am I reading this correctly, that I can use the RT-AX88U Pro to be a AP, with VLAN tagging back to a PfSense/OpenSense Firewall allowing for VLAN trunk back with 3 different networks?
Will it come to the RT-AX88U non pro? I currently have two with Merlin FW, and really need this VLAN feature in any AP thats good and has up to 6e, and externa Antennas.
Also, wondering why its been in beta so long, is Asus committed to this feature? its been almost a year in beta.
Thanks in advance!
Note that this discussion topic is about the RT-AX86U Pro not the RT-AX88U Pro. The RT-AX88U Pro is a different router and there is a separate discussion for that router and non beta 3.0.0.6.x firmware:

ASUS RT-AX88U Pro Firmware version 3.0.0.6.102_32843 (2023-11-27)

Last edited:
Hello.
Has anyone encountered the problem of updating Trend Micro signature and checking the fw version?
1703239089386.png

no pihole, default config +vpn ipsec

I have the same issues since I upgraded to the beta firmware.
So we have the cause of the problem. We just had to wait for the update.

Hi all,

Has Asus posted any updates on an ETA for another beta version, or when these features will make it into the next release? Seems like a long time for a beta, almost a year since this beta was posted.

Thanks

i think In the second half of the year.

Another thing I just found is that there is no way to enable wan aggregation with this beta. Also as mentioned the TM signature can't update. Luckily, enabling wan aggregation before upgrading seems to let it stay. You just loose the web page entry to change/activate it.

Hopefully this will be released soon with some bug fixes.....

Luckily, enabling wan aggregation before upgrading

You better don't "upgrade" to this >1 year old beta. This router has four 3.0.0.4 firmware releases after the betta. Obviously 3.0.0.6 is not ready.

You better don't "upgrade" to this >1 year old beta. This router has four 3.0.0.4 firmware releases after the betta. Obviously 3.0.0.6 is not ready.
I'd rather have the new/fixed pro guest network, VLAN and isolation features. It is either that or through out all asus routers and get something much more expensive that has these features

ASUS RT-AX86U Pro Firmware version 9.0.0.6.102.4856
Version 9.0.0.6.102.4856
Beta Version
55.14 MB
2023/03/21
Be noted: This is an early stage beta, there might be bugs. This version can be downgraded via web GUI only.

1. Recap new features of 3.0.0.6.102: Guest network Pro(SDN), VLAN, Auto USB WAN backup, iPhone tethering, Multi-services WAN.
2. Re-defined VLAN, supports Trunk, Access mode with VLAN-only-network.
3. Synchronize Guest network pro (SDN) with VLAN, create/delete new VLAN-only-network will create/delete a new profile in Guest network as well.
4. Port isolation and AP isolation to restrict device access to each other.
5. Re-defined multi-service WAN, disable it by default.
6. Add surfshark VPN in VPN fusion.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 05dd93347b4347a91f4b3967dc03cac5

OE
Hi have recently purchased this model and the Stock firmware not beta already has Surfshark within VPN Fusion?? I purchased it here from Amazon UK as I live in West London.

I have also migrated over to Merlin software and absolutely love it except the VPN director over complicates matters for my needs . The VPN Fusion software is far simpler to set up within moments and you can change regions on the fly within the Asus app itself which made VPN fusion absolutely fantastic . Why can't this be implemented into the Merlin software to give end users the options to either use the Fusion software for simplicity or have a tab in place to use VPN director for advanced functions .

One of the very reasons I purchased this model was the ability to have a VPN in place at the router stage in my flat and the ability to change VPN regions on the fly using the app .

I have a Apple TV 2022 device and they don't support hardly any VPN services being crappy apple not like my Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 so being able to have a VPN directly in the router software is bloody fantastic .

You can have VPN FUSION for folks like my self for streaming only and any region changing on the fly ..then you can have VPN Director for folks that need more advanced features for their networking in their homes or their offices for me this would make scene. I believed Merlin software was based almost entirely not taking away anything from the stock firmware on the original stock firmware but the one item that has been omitted VPN fusion is the one of the main reasons I wanted to buy an Asus router so for me a fortunately I'm going to have to make a bit of a sad decision possibly .

I sadly may have to go back to stock Asus WRT software to get that all back I would rather stick with Merlin software but not having that part their is a big deal for me .

I am very much hoping someone can help me with this matter I surely can't be alone with this issue?? ..Can someone perhaps guide/help me with this as I've been told VPN director is supposed to be far superior and more advanced than VPN Fusion ?? Totally confused 😕.

I absolutely love what Merlin software does for everything else as far as customisation goes for the rest of the routers features and hardware but under VPN it's been taken away kinda goes a way of the ethos of Merlin software ...I'm thinking I'm wrong here .🙂

Last edited:
Why can't this be implemented into the Merlin software to give end users the options to either use the Fusion software for simplicity or have a tab in place to use VPN director for advanced functions .
Just so other readers are aware, there is already an earlier post started by marcd5123 asking and commenting about VPN Fusion/VPN Director.

This topic discusses the Beta Asus RT-AX86U Pro firmware 9.0.0.6.102.4856 2023/3/21 firmware not the Asus-Merlin firmware. Further as repeatedly indicated by RMerlin there isn't currently a 3.0.0.6.x version of the Asus-Merlin firmware. See the following post for more:

To avoid taking this discussion off track one may want to continue any discussion about VPN Director/VPN Fusion (and how to use VPN Director) in the other post linked above.

I just started using the beta firmware 9.0.0.6.102_4856 on my RT-AX86U Pro.

For the most part it has worked well, but AIMesh has taken a large step backwards. Clients that had been bound to AIMesh nodes no longer stay connected to those and in fact refuse to connect to the closest node (see image). I've tried unbinding and rebinding, rebooting the mesh, hard restarting a node (unplugging). I also tried deleting the guest network and recreating it, as it was created before upgrading the firmware, but nothing fixed it.

I'm hoping a new build will be out soon that brings in AIMesh fixes from the main branch, but who knows.

The main reason I wanted this was for VLAN and that works well, but what doesn't work is guest networks on AIMesh - the clients can only connect to the main router whether you've specified the network should use AIMesh or not. note: the one client connected to the AIMesh "Living Room" Node is not on the guest network

Screenshot from 2024-04-04 19-37-03.png

I just started using the beta firmware 9.0.0.6.102_4856 on my RT-AX86U Pro.

For the most part it has worked well, but AIMesh has taken a large step backwards. Clients that had been bound to AIMesh nodes no longer stay connected to those and in fact refuse to connect to the closest node (see image). I've tried unbinding and rebinding, rebooting the mesh, hard restarting a node (unplugging). I also tried deleting the guest network and recreating it, as it was created before upgrading the firmware, but nothing fixed it.

I'm hoping a new build will be out soon that brings in AIMesh fixes from the main branch, but who knows.

The main reason I wanted this was for VLAN and that works well, but what doesn't work is guest networks on AIMesh - the clients can only connect to the main router whether you've specified the network should use AIMesh or not.

View attachment 57686
I've now gone back to the latest GA release... Lost the VLAN, but the AIMesh works well again

Screenshot from 2024-04-04 21-16-16.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!