What's new

Beta RT-AX86U Pro firmware 9.0.0.6.102.4856 2023/3/21

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
ASUS RT-AX86U Pro Firmware version 9.0.0.6.102.4856
Version 9.0.0.6.102.4856
Beta Version
55.14 MB
2023/03/21
Be noted: This is an early stage beta, there might be bugs. This version can be downgraded via web GUI only.

1. Recap new features of 3.0.0.6.102: Guest network Pro(SDN), VLAN, Auto USB WAN backup, iPhone tethering, Multi-services WAN.
2. Re-defined VLAN, supports Trunk, Access mode with VLAN-only-network.
3. Synchronize Guest network pro (SDN) with VLAN, create/delete new VLAN-only-network will create/delete a new profile in Guest network as well.
4. Port isolation and AP isolation to restrict device access to each other.
5. Re-defined multi-service WAN, disable it by default.
6. Add surfshark VPN in VPN fusion.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 05dd93347b4347a91f4b3967dc03cac5

OE

I noticed this is pretty nice just 2 sync vpns. So that's a bit low. Can't remember how my gt-2900 has it. But they don't update it any more as it seems....

Been using 9.0.0.6.102.4856 for a week now and so far it has been flawless. As dirty upgrade did not work did a reset and set it up from scratch.

I noticed this is pretty nice just 2 sync vpns. So that's a bit low. Can't remember how my gt-2900 has it. But they don't update it any more as it seems....
You mean 2 concurrent VPNs? Yes, this is my pet peeve.

I haven’t confirmed this using OpenVPN - but it’s definitely the case for WireGuard.

And I believe it applies across all models - not just the lower end ones.

Glad I didn’t buy an AXE16000 only to find that only 2 concurrent VPN sessions are possible on a quad-band router!!!

You mean 2 concurrent VPNs? Yes, this is my pet peeve.

I haven’t confirmed this using OpenVPN - but it’s definitely the case for WireGuard.

And I believe it applies across all models - not just the lower end ones.

Glad I didn’t buy an AXE16000 only to find that only 2 concurrent VPN sessions are possible on a quad-band router!!!
I think Merlin will eventually remove that limit with his vpn director.

I know, but you don't use the pro firmware as base right?
There's no "Pro" firmware, they use the same firmware as other models. If you are referring to the 9.0.0.6 firmware series, this is just an early beta, and shouldn't be used in production.

There's no "Pro" firmware, they use the same firmware as other models. If you are referring to the 9.0.0.6 firmware series, this is just an early beta, and shouldn't be used in production.

I use it currently at home with not a single issue. Just out off curiosity, and i really like the quest network, i like your VPN director more tho.

I already support 5 clients.
5 WireGuard sessions?

My understanding was that VPN Director sits on top of stock ASUS VPN code.

I thought VPN Director added advanced policy routing. Something not available in stock code, and something I don’t need.

My understanding was that VPN Director sits on top of stock ASUS VPN code.
I don`t use their WireGuard client user interface, neither VPN Fusion, which they use for client routing. So unless it`s a kernel limitation preventing the use of 5 WireGuard clients, which I still think you should rethink your plans if you think you need that many simultaneous clients, it makes no sense.

I don’t need 5. But if I’m going to buy an AXE16000 - I expect 4.

Even on my AX6000 I would expect 3.

The reality is that I have 4 WireGuard sessions running 24/7 - which I achieve using two routers. I’m happy with the outcome. It meets my use case.

I find the way that VPN Fusion binds clients to tunnels is perfectly satisfactory for my needs - and reliable.

I did a dirty flash of the beta firmware. Everything seemed to work OK. I had an existing 2.4 GHz guest WIFI and that was changed to a custom pro guest with an assigned VLAN of 96 which set the IP range in that WIFI to 192.168.96.0/24. I deleted that guest WIFI and set up an IoT version in the Pro which put those devices on the router default subnet. Did not want to spend time learning the Guest Pro in the absence of good documentation so flashed back to non-beta.

Looks like we will be able to assign a LAN port to a VLAN and make a wired guest network. Sure would be great to have some documentation...

the use of 5 WireGuard clients, which I still think you should rethink your plans if you think you need that many simultaneous clients, it makes no sense.
Having more than 5 WG simultaneous clients (on idle/fail-over) would be very useful when you need to switch countries/states/nodes quickly in order to circumvent censorship, maybe find faster direct connections when streaming, even avoid DDos attacks. Please, PLEASE don't disconsider it.
10 stored WG connections in VPN Director would be nice, 15-20 ideal.

Please, PLEASE don't disconsider it.
10 stored WG connections in VPN Director would be nice, 15-20 ideal.
You need a different solution than a home router then. Wasting 5KB+ of nvram just for the 3 or 4 persons that might need it is silly. Plus wasting over 4000 priority rules in the Linux routing tables just for all of these clients, at 200 rules each. Plus lack of nvram space to store them as well, since nvram settings are limited to 255 characters max each.

I did a dirty flash of the beta firmware. Everything seemed to work OK. I had an existing 2.4 GHz guest WIFI and that was changed to a custom pro guest with an assigned VLAN of 96 which set the IP range in that WIFI to 192.168.96.0/24. I deleted that guest WIFI and set up an IoT version in the Pro which put those devices on the router default subnet. Did not want to spend time learning the Guest Pro in the absence of good documentation so flashed back to non-beta.

Looks like we will be able to assign a LAN port to a VLAN and make a wired guest network. Sure would be great to have some documentation...

I am currently running this Beta firmware and using a LAN port in the same vlan as one of my guest networks.

Post in thread 'RT-AX86S vs RT-AX86U vs RT-AX86U Pro'
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ax86s-vs-rt-ax86u-vs-rt-ax86u-pro.85173/post-843795

Last edited:
Hello togehter,
I have a simple question for my understanding. I used a RT AX86U Pro in AP mode.
Is it possible with this Beta or future versions that I put a wifi network on a specific LAN socket and put another wifi network (e.g. guest) on another LAN socket??
So that both networks can be tapped separately on a different lan socket.
Thx

Hello togehter,
I have a simple question for my understanding. I used a RT AX86U Pro in AP mode.
Is it possible with this Beta or future versions that I put a wifi network on a specific LAN socket and put another wifi network (e.g. guest) on another LAN socket??
So that both networks can be tapped separately on a different lan socket.
Thx
Yes, with 9006 beta (official)

I do wonder why Asus is waiting with the official release for the ax86u pro. The 6000 is out their and it is based on same hardware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!