What's new

RT-AX86U PRO page now up ...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I returned mine, see post #92.
My RT-AX86U Pro had issues with 2.4 GHz, not sure if it was a defect or plain incompatibility issue.
I noticed with a WiFi analyzer and with my iPhone that 2.4 GHz irregularly was totally gone and the Brother printer (a 2021 model MFC-J5340DW) got lost (5 GHz was too weak to reach the printer).
Back to the RT-AC68U everything is stable again.

Guess I'll wait for the inevitable BE68U to replace my almost-decade-old AC68U :p

Those of you with RT-AX86 Pro, how are you finding it? A good router? Fast/slow?
It's very good and stable for me, and I'm running Merlin 388.1. Compared to my old Asus RT-AC66U B1, the RT-AX86 Pro has a snappy-fast GUI. Throughput is fantastic. From my work, I can now watch my 4K home security camera at 25fps with no video stuttering of any kind. My old RT-AC66U B1 would struggle requiring me to reduce the camera's frame rate from 25fps to 18. The Pro footprint is nice and compact while the chassis sports a classy look. Under the chassis, the Pro shares the same quad core 2GHz CPU as the AX6000. I might have looked harder at the AX6000 if it wasn't the size of a skateboard and supported VLANs like the Pro models. The only annoyance with the RT-AX86 Pro for me, the LEDs on the front are bright white. I disabled them in the firmware, but it would nice if there was a 50% setting vs. full on or full off.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, I picked mine up from B&H Photo over Amazon. They allowed me to backorder it, and when they get resupplied by Asus, the orders are completed FIFO. It only took me about a week of waiting before mine shipped. Amazon had several odd LLC suppliers that I just didn't trust.

Another pleasant surprise I'll mention about the RT-AX86 Pro is if you use the 2.5G port for the WAN, you can repurpose the 1G WAN port for LAN use making the router into a 5 port LAN switch.

1675719805494.png

Another pleasant surprise I'll mention about the RT-AX86 Pro is if you use the 2.5G port for the WAN, you can repurpose the 1G WAN port for LAN use making the router into a 5 port LAN switch.

View attachment 47730
I am very tempted to acquire an RT-AX86U Pro due to the VLAN features. I plan to assign the 2.5G ethernet port for use as the WAN port. Does the GUI then reflect the availability of the typical WAN port* on the VLAN page?

EDIT: Oops; I was referring to the stock firmware interface.

* which is now supposed to be available as a LAN port

I am very tempted to acquire an RT-AX86U Pro due to the VLAN features. I plan to assign the 2.5G ethernet port for use as the WAN port. Does the GUI then reflect the availability of the typical WAN port* on the VLAN page?

EDIT: Oops; I was referring to the stock firmware interface.

* which is now supposed to be available as a LAN port
Yep, unfortunately Merlin doesn't have VLANs yet. This is how it displays the ports from the System Status page. Note the thin line separating the WAN from LAN ports. If you plug your WAN modem into the 1G WAN port, the blue indicator circle shifts over to it, and I think I remember the 1G port shifting to the left of the thin vertical line (might be misremembering though):

1675801808704.png

VLAN is part of a completely new firmware branch, 3.0.0.6. It won't come out of beta for many more months.

I see the Beta firmware* for the RT-AX86U Pro on Asus' download page. I presume that some users are operating with it...

Yes, it`s a public beta.

This router looks to be publicly available now - Amazon in the UK have it listed for about £260 - about £100 cheaper than the GT-AX6000...

Decisions, decisions...

This router looks to be publicly available now - Amazon in the UK have it listed for about £260 - about £100 cheaper than the GT-AX6000...

Decisions, decisions...
When I received an e-mail alert from Asus early last week that it was again in stock, it had already become unavailable there by afternoon. I found that NewEgg had them in stock in the US. This appears still to be true today.

If using the beta firmware, what's the preferred mechanism to offer feedback? Via the router-GUI feedback form or...?
Yes, use the Feedback form, as it can also send logs and other technical details at the same time.

Does anyone know what CPU is in the pro in comparison to the GT-AX6000? Both state quad core 2.0 Ghz.

Apparently the GT-AX6000 is Broadcom BCM4912 and v2 is Qualcomm IPQ8074.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!