What's new

RT-AX86U PRO page now up ...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks. What kind of throughput would this have on cake? Around 350 Mbps?
Around 350-400, depending on the type of traffic.

Thanks. I'm thinking of upgrading to this and returning my AX82U for it. It's going to cost an extra $70 but likely worth it in the long run.

I do however have a brother printer from 2016-2017 so the above comments about it not working properly are putting me off. Current brother printer is fine on AX82U (all default wireless settings) so hopefully should be ok also.

Review posted some days ago. The increase to BCM6715 really showing a good imporvement over non Pro in coverage and strength.

Xs9N4jZ.png

My RT-AC86U had 4-6dBm better radio sensitivity than RT-AX86U and RT-AX86S on all channels.

@Gary_Dexter, you may not be very impressed coming from GT-AC2900 - an RT-AC86U variant.

Last edited:
As of this hour Amazon UK has a massive sale on basically all Asus routers.

The RT-AX86U Pro is £210 but the GT-AX6000 is £270... tough choice.

I think the Pro wins. It's not a guarantee what GT-AX6000 version you get and if it was just the Qualcomm vs Broadcom stuff I could understand but v1 of the 6000 doesn't even have DDR4.

Last edited:
As of this hour Amazon UK has a massive sale on basically all Asus routers.

The RT-AX86U Pro is £210 but the GT-AX6000 is £270... tough choice.

I think the Pro wins. It's not a guarantee what GT-AX6000 version you get and if it was just the Qualcomm vs Broadcom stuff I could understand but v1 of the 6000 doesn't even have DDR4.

Oh so the GT-AX6000v2 is qualcomm...could lose merlin support? .. Still be so curious on its performance as the Netgear R7800 qualcomm radios worked so well.

Oh so the GT-AX6000v2 is qualcomm...could lose merlin support? .. Still be so curious on its performance as the Netgear R7800 qualcomm radios worked so well.
Looks like the AX6000 v2 is Broadcom and v1 is Qualcomm.

GT-AX6000 is Broadcom-based only and does use DDR4.

That site isn't always accurate.

Just looking at the amazon sale now

£210 for RT-AX86U Pro

£270 for GT-AX6000

`I currently have 1GB internet connection and run a RT-AC86U with about 35 devices connected. Its been rocked solid did have some issues with 2.4 Radio dropping out on my doorbell but solved that by changing the channel

I've also noticed the CPU running weird some times, one of the cores hitting 100%

Will the RT-AX86U Pro be a good upgrade from the RT-AC86U and see any benefits ?

Is it time to upgrade is the question ?

Thanks in advance

Now is not the time to upgrade.

FYI, the GT-AX6000 is worth that price difference and more.

There is no current 'pro' model with that moniker.

Save your money for when WiFi 7 is available (the deals on the current hardware should be at their best then).

Now is not the time to upgrade.

FYI, the GT-AX6000 is worth that price difference and more.

There is no current 'pro' model with that moniker.

Save your money for when WiFi 7 is available (the deals on the current hardware should be at their best then).

When is Wifi 7 out ? Ive been waiting to upgrade to Wifi 6 for 2 years :cool:

Tune in this spring/summer for announcements, I'd expect these to ship in Q3.

When is Wifi 7 out ?

How many Wi-Fi 6 clients do you currently have and how many are not a phone/tablet*? About Wi-Fi 7 the correct question is - when Wi-Fi 7 clients are coming out? Upgrade your aging RT-AC86U to RT-AX86U Pro and think about Wi-Fi 7 in 3-4 years from now, eventually. The Pro price is right.

* - where Wi-Fi 5 or Wi-Fi 6 doesn't really matter - they have nothing much to do with Gigabit connection.

+1 to Tech9 advice. Like yeah Wifi 7 is likely around Q3 but that also means the routers are going to be... $399? Plus Asus can just be like "inflation and chip shortage" and put it to $450... seems like a bad idea. Likely closer to £500 in the UK.

I did consider the GT-AX6000 but in the end I got the 86U Pro. I just really can't get over the hideous look of the GT device. The AX88U Pro is a decent looking router and has the exact same specs as GT-AX6000. If that was available and like £260 I might have considered it but at £210 I don't think the AX86U Pro can be beat. With how fast it's selling (Amazon can't restock it fast enough) it will likely become Asus most popular router. You get the same CPU, the same 1GB DDR4 RAM and the same Wifi chip as all other current top spec Asus routers.

Yes, you get all that plus all the limitations the non-pro version has too.

The GT-AX6000 is superior for a reason.

And to spend £210 to save £60 today when you will most likely need to spend at least another £260 in the near future is just bad economics.

This isn't rocket science, this is just basic math.

By that logic you may aswell get the XT12. It's only £60 more than the GT-AX6000 and superior in every possble way. However the GT-AXE11000 Pro Plus Mega Super Duper Ultra is only ~£60 more than the XT12 and superior so get that. Hopefully you get the idea. There comes a point where you just have to say enough is enough and stay within reason...

Also the basic math thing doesn't work here. My logic as to why not: Unless something drastic happens the wifi 7 routers are going to decimate the current Asus offerings making both the Pro and GT look like childs toys. If you just buy something good enough now (e.g the Pro) you can add that £60 you saved to get the wifi 7 version for cheaper in the end. Sure you "suffer" now but atleast not having to look at the GT device will save on laser eye surgery! :D That's the true maths. ;)

Something I didn't know. This router exists: TUF-AX6000

It's basically a GT-AX6000 for £180 on the asus uk store. Hardware wise the only difference is 512MB vs 1GB in RAM. Maybe gnuton support it like other TUF models. This could be the diamond in the rough.

No, we're not using the same logic (i.e. you're not using any logic). And the XT12 is hardly superior to the GT-AX6000 (look at these forums for proof) beyond mere specs.

First, you build a network on a reliable, dependable router. That is what the RT-AX86U and the GT-AX6000 both have accomplished. The 'pro' models have yet to live up to that standard today.

Of course, WiFi 7 routers will eventually decimate current offerings. But not wave 1 hardware of that standard will.

Operating on mere wishes of what may happen in the near/far future is a sure way to disappoint yourself. As is ignoring what double the RAM does for a router's performance and longevity.

To use basic math correctly, you have to also incorporate the right logic first correctly, too.

Here is an example of that last sentence. And why 'math', or 'logic', on their own, are not enough.

Man beats machine at Go in human victory over AI | Ars Technica

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!