What's new

RT-AX86U - QoS recommendation?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BlueOrbit

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I recently upgraded to RT-AX-86U router connected to a cable modem with a 500 mbps down and 10 mbps up. We have 4 computers used for school and work, 3 TVs, a VoIP phone (rarely used), Google and Alexa devices and an XBOX.

Currently everything works well and the router is setup for Adaptive QoS.

Is this the best recommended setup for QoS (streaming, gaming)? Do I even need QoS in my environment?

Thanks for any input on this.

I have 600/15 and do not use QoS at all.
What you could do is turn off QoS and see how everything works without it.
Should be fine unless multiple devices are trying to upload at the same time.

I use Merlin firmware with flex QOS which is an upgraded adaptive QOS on a 500/30. Works perfectly, no lag in games, no matter what we do.

Convention is to use manual QOS bandwidth settings at 95% of provisioned bandwidth. This works for most. I have 100/100 FIOS and set my manual settings to 100/100 and it works for me.
Where you will run into issues is with the 10 Mbps upload so use QOS.

Hello,

I recently upgraded to RT-AX-86U router connected to a cable modem with a 500 mbps down and 10 mbps up. We have 4 computers used for school and work, 3 TVs, a VoIP phone (rarely used), Google and Alexa devices and an XBOX.

Currently everything works well and the router is setup for Adaptive QoS.

Is this the best recommended setup for QoS (streaming, gaming)? Do I even need QoS in my environment?

Thanks for any input on this.
Your probably fine with just adaptive with that bandwidth. Any the only reason for even that is to tweak bandwidth settings for bufferbloat. If you do need more control. Flex is great for that.

I turned OFF adaptive QoS on my RT-AX86U that I was using to 'solve a symptom' with my 400/20 cable internet as it turned out. The symptom did not return after QoS was off.
I have a Brother MFC L5800DW wireless-N printer on my 2.4 GHz router channel that was previously working with my laptops connected to my 5 GHz router channel. With QoS ON, I could only print to it VERY slowly IF I switched the laptop to the same 2.4 GHz channel. If the laptop was on the 5 GHz channel, it would not print.
After turning off QoS, the printer operates correctly at normal speed from the 5 GHz channel on the laptops. These Brother printers were new in 2015 and are still very reliable, so changing a router setting (that I did not need) was a worthwhile correction.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!