What's new

RT-AX86U Slow 2.4ghz max speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mattsrs

New Around Here
Just got this router today and I have seen a few other threads with similar issue but didn't find a good answer beyond "factory reset". My issue is I have 400mbps Fios internet and speed test on the router gets me 400mbps+ speeds. I also get this speed on 5ghz. However, when I connect my laptop any device on the 2.4ghz network right next to the router, maximum speed I can get is around 90 mbps. When I turned on the router, it immediately updated itself to 3.0.0.4.386_45898 so I didn't change any settings before the upgrade that requires reset afterwards. A few things I have tried:

-I have separate 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks and changed channels on 2.4ghz but didn't help with speed.

- Disabled beamfoaming
- Disabled AX mode but didn't have any impact
- Tried a different channel on 2.4ghz
- There's no USB plugged in

In summary, I am getting correct 5ghz wifi speeds but 2.4ghz speeds are max around 90mbps . Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Last edited:
However, when I connect my laptop any device on the 2.4ghz network right next to the router, maximum speed I can get is around 90 mbps.
That sounds about right for a client with two antennas and the router operating at 20 MHz bandwidth. I get about the same. You could try setting the bandwidth to 40 MHz but if there are nearby overlapping signals you could make it worse.

And, to clarify, updating immediately before you change any settings does not negate the need for a full reset either. Depending on what firmware was initially installed.

Are you using your old SSIDs? What client device (and Wi-Fi adaptor) are you testing this with? Right next to the router is too close to be tested. The optimum distance is at least 3 metres away.

And the client device should be plugged into AC power, with Performance mode selected in the Power settings to get the best speeds possible.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Almost all L&LD Links

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!