What's new

RT-AX86U unknown device COMPAL INFORMATION (KUNSHAN) CO shown in Network map list

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jonesstuff

New Around Here
After updating to the latest version 386.2_4 on my RT-AX86U, I noticed a new device in the network map list with the name of COMPAL INFORMATION (KUNSHAN) CO.
At first it's shown as if it's connected through Ethernet with a public IP address? After rebooting the router, it showed up again but with a local IP address.

All my devices are connected with wirelessly.

Compal is a Tawainese electronics company that manufactures parts for Dell, HP, and a few known brands. It could be your IP's modem. Try doing a MAC Address lookup.

If you’re a customer of one of the ISP’s owned by Liberty Global or one of its subsidiaries, chances are big (as mentioned above) that this indeed your ISP’s modem. You can also try the open the IP in network map in a browser. Most of the login screens are rebranded with your ISP’s logo, so that should look familiar. Or compare the MAC address in network map to the label on your modem.

Compal is a Tawainese electronics company that manufactures parts for Dell, HP, and a few known brands. It could be your IP's modem. Try doing a MAC Address lookup.
Thanks for the reply. I am indeed connecting the asus router to my ISP's router. but shouldn't the ip address in this case be the same as the gateway (192.168.0.1) ? Also I thought the listed devices in network map should be those connected to lan port, while the other router is connected to wan port of asus's router.

Asus's detection of the type of connected device is really buggy. There are many times some of my WIFI connected devices are shown as ethernet connected devices. As long as you recognize that device, that part can safely be ignored.

As mentioned above, look for the mac address of that device on the Asus web GUI and compare it with all your devices mac address, if possible, to find out which one is it. If you can't find it/don't recognize it, try temporarily changing your SSID/WIFI password and only connect it to the device you are accessing the web GUI from. If the device disappears, that confirms that it was on WIFI, not ethernet.

Also, there are some devices that change their "name" after being updated. This is because the name usage vary even among the same device on your network, and a firmware update of that device sometimes seem to change that for some reason. Sometimes they show, and change to, the network card manufacturer, device manufacturer, OEM of the device, OEM of the network card, name of the OS, developer of the OS, developer of the network driver, etc...well you get my idea.

Better yet go into wireless MAC filter and block the device on both the 2.4 Ghz & 5 Ghz radios then wait to see who complains about no Internet access.

Better yet go into wireless MAC filter and block the device on both the 2.4 Ghz & 5 Ghz radios then wait to see who complains about no Internet access.
I believe it's connected via LAN.

As I have suggested, he can do a MAC address lookup to verify which manufacturer it is.

I was seeing the same device as yours (COMPAL INFORMATION KUNSHAN) and it ended up being my wife's Fossil Smartwatch (Michael Kors watch).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!