What's new

RT-AX86U vs GT-AX6000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I haven't used an RT-AX88U extensively for a long time, but I keep a few running for some customers.

This was my reaction to the RT-AX86U when the RT-AX88U was my main router. That was two years ago. That cost savings are not a good reason (for me) to consider that substantially older model, today.

RT-AX86U vs. RT-AX88U

386.1 Final 2x RT-AX86Us 2.5GbE Backhaul

And today, the GT-AX6000 surpasses those old milestones too.

Don't underestimate what balanced hardware can offer your network. Don't artificially limit yourself in the future by assuming things will stay the same as they are today (within your ISP, network, and its usage).

I wouldn't recommend buying 1GbE switches today either (or at least, buying the least amount/cost you can get away with for now).

In my network, 2x QNAP QSW-1105-5T 5-Port Unmanaged 2.5GbE Switches have brought my internal network speed (and lowered the latency) by a factor of 2.5 for anything I use the network for.

Parts and specs are not interchangeable. The models suggested are highlighted for a reason (i.e. actual real-world experience with them).

Price, specs, and comparison shopping will only get you so far. Be prepared to admit a mistake early enough to return products not appropriate for you.

Ideally, you can get all the products together, test them fully, and return the ones which don't tick the right boxes for your specific needs and environment.

Yes, both routers have been using RMerlin firmware since they were first booted (and subsequently flashed with it).

388.1 for both, today.

No issues.

That may be 50% of the price, but it is nowhere close to the capabilities of either the RT-AX86U or the superior GT-AX6000.

Specs are a way to fool ourselves if we let them. Don't be knowingly misled.

If you can, buy both the Mikrotik and the others suggested and do a full test/comparison in your own environment and then decide for yourself.

All specs do is attempt to hide what they're not highlighting (inferior RF design, in this case).

A modern car can outperform many past supercars, on paper, and in certain metrics. They're still not the sum of the parts the supercar ever was (and still is).

Mikrotik is many Provider choise, therefor I wouldn't be afraid of quality, performance, stability...even with more option / settings to customize then Asus.
Much more Enterprise grade solution vs Asus.

Just need to invest time to learn new system OS
1671988750132.png

Provider choice isn't a recommendation (they simply go for the lowest cost).

Asus/RMerlin is arguably the highest level of RF design, customizability, and overall network performance for an all-in-one (edit: consumer) device.

There are many levels of Enterprise grade solutions. This particular model is not above what Asus offers (from my quick reading this evening).

Last edited:
Mikrotik is better quality hardware on fair price. If you know how to deal with RouterOS 1000 options - go for it. Set and forget solutions.

Mikrotik is better quality hardware on fair price. If you know how to deal with RouterOS 1000 options - go for it. Set and forget solutions.
No experience yet with RouterOS, just tried their DEMO, but seems too complex. Therefor I would need to spend some time with it....

Problem with Mikrotik seems availability currently. Many people complaint that device is "released/announced" but few months no option to buy

Those 2 seems they could replace Asus (available in 2-3weeks)
https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ax3 - not Mimo 4x4
https://mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_5hacq2hnd_in - 10x GBps ports, but only AC wifi, it would be perfect with AX

Strange that most of their devices are still on AC. Even their APs/Extenders are only ACs Wifi

I might survive without AX, nice to have but not crucial, even not many AX devices at home anyway

This one is easier to setup with excellent price/performance ratio. Very close to consumer router GUI.

There are many different Omada compatible APs to choose from. Most with good Qualcomm hardware.