What's new

RT-AX86U WiFi Calling Using Samsung Phone Intermittant

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pegasus9

Regular Contributor
Using Merlin : 3004.388.6 firmware

I have an S23+ and the WiFi calling only works intermittently.

If I reboot the S23, Wifi calling works once or twice then fails. Inbound calls go directly to voicemail and outbound won't work at all. Same with messages. Everything else internet works fine.

My prior phone and Apple phones using Wifi work fine. T-Mobile is cell provider.

I have played with all the toggles I can think of and I have isolated the problem to the router.

Anyone else run into this?

Last edited:
If you haven't done so already, use the forum search feature to search through the Asus router subforum for "Samsung". It appears a number of users are reporting WiFi issues and problems recently with Samsung phones/devices. Its possible one of those discussions may have suggestions on Asus router WiFi configuration, or Samsung device configuration to deal with the WiFi issue(s).

If you haven't done so already, use the forum search feature to search through the Asus router subforum for "Samsung". It appears a number of users are reporting WiFi issues and problems recently with Samsung phones/devices. Its possible one of those discussions may have suggestions on Asus router WiFi configuration, or Samsung device configuration to deal with the WiFi issue(s).
I appreciate the fast response. I have gone through many of these and tried the solutions with no change. I am continuing to go through them, but thought I would post my own specifics incase someone had the same experience.

I appreciate the fast response. I have gone through many of these and tried the solutions with no change. I am continuing to go through them, but thought I would post my own specifics incase someone had the same experience.
Not sure if anyone has suggested it in the other discussions, or that it will even help. But one possible troubleshooting step, if you have a spare router or WiFi extender from another manufacturer. Try setting that other manufacturers device up in AP or WiFi extender mode connected to the Asus router, and then see if the Samsung exhibits the same problems when connected via WiFi to that other manufacturer's AP or WiFi extender. Might be a temporary workaround if it works.

Not sure if anyone has suggested it in the other discussions, or that it will even help. But one possible troubleshooting step, if you have a spare router or WiFi extender from another manufacturer. Try setting that other manufacturers device up in AP or WiFi extender mode connected to the Asus router, and then see if the Samsung exhibits the same problems when connected via WiFi to that other manufacturer's AP or WiFi extender. Might be a temporary workaround if it works.
I don't have anything but ASUS at home (I am not being paid for that ad). If this post goes nowhere, I may pick up a cheap router to play with. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
Using Merlin : 3004.388.6 firmware

I have an S23+ and the WiFi calling only works intermittently.

If I reboot the S23, Wifi calling works once or twice then fails. Inbound calls go directly to voicemail and outbound won't work at all. Same with messages. Everything else internet works fine.

My prior phone and Apple phones using Wifi work fine. T-Mobile is cell provider.

I have played with all the toggles I can think of and I have isolated the problem to the router.

Anyone else run into this?
I just updated my Samsung S23 FE and experiencing disconnects from wifi on and off the last few days after updating the router a few days ago to RT-AX86U_3004_388.6_2 , was just thinking about downgrading the router firmware to test the disconnects but I believe it may be a samsung issue like the other reply mentioned.

I just updated my Samsung S23 FE and experiencing disconnects from wifi on and off the last few days after updating the router a few days ago to RT-AX86U_3004_388.6_2 , was just thinking about downgrading the router firmware to test the disconnects but I believe it may be a samsung issue like the other reply mentioned.
Thanks for you respons, I know I am not the only one with the issue. I have a new router coming in today so I can further isolate the issue. Will post my results.

@bennor

I got a simple router (TPLink Archer A6) When plugged in as an AP, the behavior is the same, so no workaround. However, I went one step further and when I plugged the internet directly into the Archer the problem went away. Definitely something in the RT-AX86U. Bad part is that since there are almost no toggles on the A6 I have no way of knowing what to change on the ASUS.

Last edited:
I got a simple router (TPLink Archer A6) When plugged in as an AP, the behavior is the same, so no workaround.
To clarify, when you setup the TP-Link as an AP connected by Ethernet to the Asus router, you connected the Samsung to the TP-Link WiFi, right? That you double checked it was connected to the TP-Link and not the Asus router? And you still had a problem?

Edit to add: Do you have any sort of QoS and or AiProtection enabled on the Asus router?

To clarify, when you setup the TP-Link as an AP connected by Ethernet to the Asus router, you connected the Samsung to the TP-Link WiFi, right? That you double checked it was connected to the TP-Link and not the Asus router? And you still had a problem?

Edit to add: Do you have any sort of QoS and or AiProtection enabled on the Asus router?
@bennor

Correct. I created a new wireless network on the tp-link and connected the phone to that network. Still had the same problem, unless I connected the TP Link directly to the internet instead of the Asus. No AIProtect, QoS enabled. I have isolated the phone to WiFi only using Airplane mode with WiFi override.

Added: Tried turning off QOS and when I did, calling did not work at all. When I turned it back on, it went back to working intermittently. Wierd.

Last edited:
A shot in the dark, but is MAC address randomization turned off on your Samsung devices? It will be on by default when connecting to a new WiFi network. I had constant disconnects with that setting turned on. I haven't had any issue with MAC randomization with other android devices; Samsung must do it differently in a way that ASUS hardware doesn't like.

A shot in the dark, but is MAC address randomization turned off on your Samsung devices? It will be on by default when connecting to a new WiFi network. I had constant disconnects with that setting turned on. I haven't had any issue with MAC randomization with other android devices; Samsung must do it differently in a way that ASUS hardware doesn't like.
Thank you for the suggestion. I think I tried it before, but since I had blown out and rebuilt all the networks again it was back on. I turned it off but it made no change.

This issue ended as an IFM.

Since I had eliminated the ISP, Modem, and phone as possible culprits -- only the router remained. I tried all solutions on here without success, so I regressed the router to factory settings and manually added back each page of settings from screenshots I had taken. After each page, I tested the phone for an hour -- then backed up the router prior to going to the next page.

In the end all settings were added back and the Wifi is now stable. Why? No clue, but it works.

Last edited: