What's new

Beta RT-AX86U_Pro Beta firmware 9.0.0.6.102_3506

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

They're not on any known as schedule.

Observations post 2. *

I have been using this router** with a dual VLAN setup for several months now. I have a WiFi Guest Network Pro (GNP) and I have an ethernet (wired-only) GNP for my streaming boxes, an access point, and a few other devices. This allows me to connect these devices (using a switch) to one of the router's ethernet ports and to run them thru a VPN so all clients use the tunnel.

RT-AX86U Pro GNP page -  for sharing.jpg

Fig 1. Check it out! TWO VLANs operating successfully. Nice!
nb: VPN was temporarily removed from VLAN4 and applied to VLAN69 when this image was acquired.

This is great but there are trip-points to making this work. I made a mention of this in a related thread. *** The reference is below, in case you're interested.

TLDR- If you try to set up two VLANs on the RT-AX86U Pro, my experience is that the VLAN tagging bombs. The router places devices on the wrong VLANs in a way that I couldn't (didn't want to) figure out. They were all over the place. When this first occurred, I was looking at the client list trying to figure what in the world I had done to create the IP-assignment mess that I saw! It was not my doing...

This was working. Then I (using the term "I" loosely) broke it. How? I reset the router to its default, figuring I would configure it from scratch. Not that the settings were different, I just thought I'd do it "the right way" since I had figured stuff out and wanted to leave it as a more permanent configuration. This does not work, in my experience. But then how is this working?

The WiFi GNP that you can see in Fig 1 was created when the router was running release firmware. When the beta firmware is installed, this persists. The VLAN ID is assigned some way- I don't know how the number was determined. Adding another GNP does not cause the VLAN tagging to fail. I do not know why...

Knowing that it was working before I had configured from scratch with the beta f/w installed, I knew what to try, that is:
I reset to default settings, flashed back to the stock firmware, configure from scratch (again), then installed the beta firmware, and continued configuring to create the second GNP (the ethernet-only one you see in Fig 1). Success! Two VLANs working!
Oh, and then I submitted feedback to Asus!

Enjoy the adventure!

...observations.

* First post of observations is here:

** RT-AX86U Pro with Beta firmware 9.0.0.6.102_3506.

*** See the 2nd sentence in the 2nd-to-last paragraph of my post here:

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!