What's new

rt-ax88u all lan ports unplugged after lightning storm

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pierre Nakashian

Regular Contributor
after lightning storm last night, the router RT-AX88u shows all lan ports are unplugged,
wifi and internet still work. I would have expected the WAN port to be more likely damaged then
LAN port. I'm posting this issue in case there is some tips that can resolve this

Thanks
/PIerre

after lightning storm last night, the router RT-AX88u shows all lan ports are unplugged,
wifi and internet still work. I would have expected the WAN port to be more likely damaged then
LAN port. I'm posting this issue in case there is some tips that can resolve this

Thanks
/PIerre

Perhaps a power-related disturbance on the LAN Ethernet has damaged or is affecting the LAN circuitry in the router, or maybe the router power adapter is compromised (probably not).

I would try to recover the bare router by recommissioning it with nothing connected (something else could be damaged on your LAN)... and try another power adapter, if you have one. Otherwise, you may need a new router and you may want to confirm that your ISP cable shield (?) is properly grounded to electric Earth at your building demarc.

OE

what you see in logs - look for lines like this one
Code:
kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link DOWN.

WAN normally is better protected and could survive - hm in AC88U there were 2 LAN switches if the same is in AX88U you could have even situation that one 4LANs are working

all depend on country policy you are in - in same you can ask power company for compensation. If it is on warranty just RMA it. Last resort open it and check is something is gone (crater), smell etc.

The same thing happened to me last summer with a storm on an RT-AX58U, lan ports 1 and 3 do not work. The rest is fine, wan, wifi and lan ports 2 and 4.

Thanks to home insurance I solved the problem, and paying the difference I bought the RT-AX88U, leaving aimesh RT-AX58U.

Lost a cable modem, some zwave lights, a poe cam, 2.5g wan, and port 1 on my ax86u a few months ago in our Florida lightning storms.. I never needed the 2.5g but now I have 3g fiber and can't utilize, hoping to find a axe16000 on sale soon.