What's new

RT-AX88U Hardware Revision A1 vs A1.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just checking the CPU temp can be a good indication. Mine is idling at 75°C so it will probably be a Rev 1.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LYA-L09 met Tapatalk

And what proof do you have to back this up?

That they disable CPU idling on specific hardware revisions? I just posted the actual code taken from the firmware source code just here.

I had opened a ticket with Asus support in the US since I had reservations on why an increment in revision number if there is no change. I asked them to escalate to Engineering but still got back it's basically the same hardware just built in different countries(e.g. A1 in China and A1.1 in Vietnam). Once I showed them a snippet of an A1.1 unit assembled in China, certificate from WiFi alliance for A1.1, and asked why the lower operating temps, they suggested I exchange for the newer A1.1 version since I was still in my return window with the retailer. I contacted Amazon to initiate the exchange for my A1 unit and fortunately received an A1.1. I was happy to see the H/W A1.1 on the exterior box serial number label and glad I acted quickly before my return window expired.

My avg temp difference so far is 10-15°C lower between A1.1 and A1 sitting side by side with same load.

Isn't it a fraud to sell A1 devices as Wifi6 compliant if certification has happened for A1.1 revision?

Wi-Fi Certification certificates state the make, model and revision of hardware and firmware used.

The question of fraud would be up to courts if someone were to bring a case to the FTC or sue.

Wi-Fi Certification certificates state the make, model and revision of hardware and firmware used.

The question of fraud would be up to courts if someone were to bring a case to the FTC or sue.
Isn't 10 to 15 degrees temp difference enough to ask for exchange to get A1.1 revision? Can such higher temperatures in A1 cause reduction in hardware life compared to A1.1 models?

@sanke1, not if it is within the CPU specs.

Isn't 10 to 15 degrees temp difference enough to ask for exchange to get A1.1 revision? Can such higher temperatures in A1 cause reduction in hardware life compared to A1.1 models?

Merlin already clarified the temperature difference is due to Asus disabling CPU idle support (which can be re-enabled but at your own risk).

No, because it's fine. The same CPU didn't have cpuwait enabled either in the past, the initial RT-AX88U release was the first time they enabled it. And it was never advertised as a feature either.

Any forum members stuck with their vA1 routers, and clearly need to upgrade to the superior vA1.1 routers. I am willing to take those vA1 routers from you, so you are able to upgrade.
I am unable to pay for shipping, and I am only able to take the first 10 routers, but I will say "Thank You". :)
Just PM for my address

Personally, I always thought CPU idling wasn't enabled on these router CPUs because they would introduce latency during the ramp up stage. So for me, the oddity wasn't that Asus disabled it at a later point, but rather that they decided to first enable it, and then to keep it enabled for only specific revisions.

I don't think that you would notice the CPU switching.
But in the end we still don't know what the actual difference is between the two revisions.

For me it doesn't really matter, I want a stable WiFi connection in our home and the internet connection is limited to 250mbit/s anyway.

As long as the CPU used has a design spec to run all day at 75-80 degrees it will be fine.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LYA-L09 met Tapatalk

Since today I also have the A1.1 hardware (made in China) and I can notice a significant temperature difference. A1 has 75 °C and A1.1 with identical settings 58 °C.

:)

Isn't it a fraud to sell A1 devices as Wifi6 compliant if certification has happened for A1.1 revision?
Hold on. So v1 is not WiFi6 certified only v1.1 is? Aside from CPU idling, what else changed that got v1.1 WiFi6 certified? Sorry, I'm confused.

Hold on. So v1 is not WiFi6 certified only v1.1 is? Aside from CPU idling, what else changed that got v1.1 WiFi6 certified? Sorry, I'm confused.
Yes Wifi6 certification is only for A1.1 model. I don;t know if it makes A1 model Wifi6 compliant automatically.

How about this...(just guess)
A1.1 is actually a cost cutting measure, so it got more integrated components used than A1, thus turning on this CPU idle feature to offset the thermal. (This conjecture can somewhat explain why ASUS re-enabled it on specific revision later on)
Why don't you guys try ‘pwr config --cpuwait off’ on the A1.1 to see its thermal performance.

Last edited:
@Max33Verstappen, so you think they retested and recertified that the router would perform to specs (and better) to save 0.1% thermal material? Nah. :)

While cpuwait may seem to work without issues today on any specific units, it simply wasn't built to be run like that. ;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!