What's new

RT-AX88U Hardware Revision A1 vs A1.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you. I figured I could do that but was curious if anyone put it into a script to keep it over a reboot.

I have manually entered that command and it has dropped the temps. No issues yet.

I ran that command for months without issue you should be fine.

I just activated cpu wait, my cpu temp on rt-ax88u was 81C and now it dropped down to 72C when activating cpu wait. Big difference.
Lets see if it causes some stability issues.

Just to report pwr config --cpuwait on is working perfectly fine since 8 months now with no bad effects seen which are related to this particular setting.. Router remains cool by 13° C. This only applies to A1 hardware revision. If you have A1.1 hardware of RT-AX88U, cpuwait is already turned on so this ssh tweak is not needed.

I have been running my RT-AX88U with CPUWAIT turned on for a couple of months as well now with no observed negative effects.
I asked Asus for the reason they disabled it in the first place but they never seem to reply.
Especially during the heatwave we had the room temperature was 30ºC and the CPUWAIT instruction was a welcome addition to keep the CPU below 70ºC.

Based on what evidence to support that claim? My A1 hardly gets warm at all but unfortnunately, the telnet and the SSH commands do no work

RT-AX88U login: admin
Password:
admin@RT-AX88U:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/dmu/temperature
cat: can't open '/proc/dmu/temperature': No such file or directory
admin@RT-AX88U:/tmp/home/root#

follows the solution of the master @RMerlin

However I found it on my RT-AC86u at the following location.

cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

Just to report pwr config --cpuwait on is working perfectly fine since 8 months now with no bad effects seen which are related to this particular setting.. Router remains cool by 13° C. This only applies to A1 hardware revision. If you have A1.1 hardware of RT-AX88U, cpuwait is already turned on so this ssh tweak is not needed.

Great! I have question what is your temperature ambient

thanks.

Just an update... The A1 RT-AX88U is still holding well with the command pwr config --cpuwait on via ssh. This is almost after 1.5 years. I thought I had WAN instability but WAN disconnects are same irrespective of cpuwait is on or off. So that's a firmware issue.

Last edited:
"Asuswrt-Merlin 386/NG Changelog:
- NEW: Added support for new RT-AX88U hardware revision."

is V2 coming?
what will be different?

THX

I'm confused, I ordered an RT-AX88U Pro and when it arrived it has hardware revison 1.0. I assumed the hardware with the non pro is the same (just different firmware). Does the rev. 1.1 hold for the Pro version (was searching the internet but nothing on this ;) or am I Just being silly ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!