RT-AX88U has a serious bug with firmware 3.0.0.4.384.9566 (random reboots)

Vimes

Regular Contributor
Got mine also yesterday the AX88U installed fine, using my 86U in AI Mesh mode, and updated it to the latest recently released firmware. All seems fine and enjoying a working AI Mesh.
Just wished that it had VPN Fusion as std, and not just the GT (?) router.

sanke1

So faulty equipment simply doesn't exist? All consumer products from covid China are perfect actually
Some RT-AX88Us are manufactured in Vietnam FYI. TBH I had port forwarding issue with my RT-AX88U and their customer care worked with me and fixed it within a week. Why don't you hop on to 386 RC2 Beta6 branch and check if your issue is fixed or not. RC2-B6 is working stunningly well for all the 3 of my RT-AX88Us. Zero reboots or disconnects since 1 week of installing.

Link here

Make sure you reset nvram by issuing ssh commands. Correct procedure:
1. Update the 386 RC2-B6 firmware manually using router GUI.
2. Login to router using ssh in windows powershell: ssh [email protected]
3. Enter login password
4. Enter this command nvram erase
5. Power off the router from mains (from wall socket and not through GUI)
6. Turn it back on
7. Set it up as new and default IP address is 192.168.50.1

Bonus:
8. Think twice before passing snide remarks on a reputed member and god forbid a moderator at that. Hehe

Vimes

Regular Contributor
Some RT-AX88Us are manufactured in Vietnam FYI. TBH I had port forwarding issue with my RT-AX88U and their customer care worked with me and fixed it within a week. Why don't you hop on to 386 RC2 Beta6 branch and check if your issue is fixed or not. RC2-B6 is working stunningly well for all the 3 of my RT-AX88Us. Zero reboots or disconnects since 1 week of installing.

Link here

Make sure you reset nvram by issuing ssh commands. Correct procedure:
1. Update the 386 RC2-B6 firmware manually using router GUI.
2. Login to router using ssh in windows powershell: ssh [email protected]
3. Enter login password
4. Enter this command nvram erase
5. Power off the router from mains (from wall socket and not through GUI)
6. Turn it back on
7. Set it up as new and default IP address is 192.168.50.1

Bonus:
8. Think twice before passing snide remarks on a reputed member and god forbid a moderator at that. Hehe
With my AC86U the hard reset method was to use the WPS key....

I see that they also suggest this now for the AX88U....

do you know if doing what you suggest for as reset of the NVRAM the same as doing the WPS reset...?

I have not needed to do a reset of my newly bought AX88U.
Do you also happen to know, long shot, that if the RC2-B6 release contains the types of fixes applied for the very recent firmware update for the AX88U, for stability fixes. Or would those not be needed for the different code base...?
Great that yours have been so stable with the 386 based firmware.
So far my 88U and 86U have been great with the AI Mesh Mode utilised.

I do miss policy based routing (VPN Fusion in the std firmware for the ROG range) for the VPN client. When we get a Merlin firmware for the 386 base I'll be able to try that.

Last edited:

1ceLaz0r

Regular Contributor
Had china 1.0 and Vietnam 1.1 hardware versions, both unstable, I don't mess with merlin. Sold them months ago and sticking with AX86u

RogerSC

Part of the Furniture
Had china 1.0 and Vietnam 1.1 hardware versions, both unstable, I don't mess with merlin. Sold them months ago and sticking with AX86u
Bad luck, the AX88U that I've had for a few months now has been great, and the XT8 that I've added as an AP has also been stable. The AX88U is on RMerlin firmware, the XT8 is on Asus firmware. Hope that the AX86U continues to work for you.

Vimes

Regular Contributor
Bad luck, the AX88U that I've had for a few months now has been great, and the XT8 that I've added as an AP has also been stable. The AX88U is on RMerlin firmware, the XT8 is on Asus firmware. Hope that the AX86U continues to work for you.

Considering the discount that Amazon had for the AX88U on their Prime days I decided to buy one. Along with the rebate offered by Asus it worked out cheaper as a AX86U is currently.
But, in the UK, it seems that AX86U are pretty rare on the ground.

The AX88U has been great for me on the latest std firmware coupled with a AC86U in Node mode for AI Mesh.

Using a custom QOS and Traffic Analyser and all is well.

I do wish that Asus would extend their VPN Fusion to models other than the ROG routers.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
I do wish that Asus would extend their VPN Fusion to models other than the ROG routers.
Make sure to let them know through the Feedback page on your router.

Vimes

Regular Contributor
Make sure to let them know through the Feedback page on your router.

I have given that feedback both on my AC86U and also AX88U, otherwise they will not be influenced by their customers, if that is taken into consideration.

Thanks for the reminder though. Perhaps if enough people request it they might consider it worth doing, especially for those routers that support AES-NI instructions.
Not sure why they thought that their policy based routing implementation should be prioritised on their ROG routers, with the emphasis on gaming.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!