What's new

RT-AX88U "Partner" Mesh unit?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

avpman

New Around Here
What would be the best Asus (or least problematic) Router/AP to use along an RT-AX88U as a mesh component to cover a larger home? Currently running Merlin on RT-AX88U and would like the AP Mesh to be able to run the same firmware. Should I just use another RT-AX88U or is there something else less expensive for the other side of the house? I see Asus now has "mesh kits" where they sell two units to be used together. But I don't think they will run Merlin.

I have to say, I was having a tremendous amount of difficulty getting my laptop to backup to my NAS AFTER one of the stock Asus' updates. Merlin fixed the problem and often gives me WiFi speeds of 2 Gbps or more! Please contribute to help keep this project alive.

What would be the best Asus (or least problematic) Router/AP to use along an RT-AX88U as a mesh component to cover a larger home? Currently running Merlin on RT-AX88U and would like the AP Mesh to be able to run the same firmware. Should I just use another RT-AX88U or is there something else less expensive for the other side of the house? I see Asus now has "mesh kits" where they sell two units to be used together. But I don't think they will run Merlin.

I have to say, I was having a tremendous amount of difficulty getting my laptop to backup to my NAS AFTER one of the stock Asus' updates. Merlin fixed the problem and often gives me WiFi speeds of 2 Gbps or more! Please contribute to help keep this project alive.

Hi
I’m using an Ax88u on merlin 384.18 as the primary with two Ac68U units on latest stock Asus firmware the last 3 months or so with literally 100% stability. I’m using wired backhaul for best performance as recommended by Merlin. The reason I am using stock Asus firmware on the nodes is that is what is recommended in the installation notes by Merlin and at the time I didn’t know enough to argue the point so just did as recommended. Since then I have read these forums extensively and while I am now aware that many people run matching merlin firmware on their nodes my experience has been so positive that I saw no reason to change.

Regards

Ari

Im running 2-AX88U here, wired backhaul. Im not having any issues here

Thanks for the info. I don't think the AC68U is a WiFi 6 router? I need one that matches the speed of the AX88U.

My apologies for the misunderstanding. Budget offerings for WiFi 6 are thin on the ground. I think in your position I'd go with a second Ax88U myself. In my case the nodes are only needed to cover lower level workshop and the kids area so the 68u is sufficient. Also at the time I got into it reviews were somewhat mixed for Aimesh and I didn't want to invest too much into something that may have been flakey which of course, has not turned out to be the case at all.

Regards
Ari

Hi!
I'm running an AX86U node wirelessly, and getting my full ISP speed (400Mbps) out of it. Very stable setup with AX88U/Merlin and AX86U/Stock. Replaced a couple of Powerline 2000 adapters and could not be happier, I could only get half the internet speed out of them.