What's new

RT-AX88U Pro v.s. RT-AX86U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Another quick question. I want to install Merlin on the AX88U Pro and wanted to know if AiMesh will work with Merlin. Quick search shows it won't. My other (current) router is RT-AC1900P and will also be updated with Merlin.

Read the ASUSWRT-Merlin documentation.

OE

Another quick question. I want to install Merlin on the AX88U Pro and wanted to know if AiMesh will work with Merlin. Quick search shows it won't. My other (current) router is RT-AC1900P and will also be updated with Merlin.
Yes it will work. But, it is recommended to run Asus firmware on the AiMesh nodes.

Before you load up Merlin firmware, give the Asus firmware a try. It might have all the features you need. Oh yes, you are going with an AX88U Pro which has the Asus 3.0.0.6x firmware which has "issues." Your call and good luck....

I just upgraded my AX88U to a AX88U Pro and installed current merlin this morning so far everything is good.

1700925948156.png

1700925971003.jpeg

Do you really need that Cooler Master? With my AX86U Pro there are no overheating issues.
Don't need it with this model but might as well reuse it. Would be collecting dust otherwise.

My speeds are looking good also I moved from a 1 Gbps 750 Mbps connection to 1.5 Gbps 1Gbps up which was the primary reason I moved off the AX88U and its 1 Gbps Wan port.

1700948699186.png

Our AX88U Pro maxes out around 110 F / 43 C and the CM8200 modem a few degrees under that. Parts of closed will hit 80 F /26 C on hot days.

Our AX88U Pro maxes out around 110 F / 43 C and the CM8200 modem a few degrees under that. Parts of closed will hit 80 F /26 C on hot days.
close to what I'm seeing here in Canada it is winter though. My original AX88U A0 would generally sit in the 60-65C range in the same conditions.

1700955549397.png

close to what I'm seeing here in Canada it is winter though. My original AX88U A0 would generally sit in the 60-65C range in the same conditions.

View attachment 54476
Hello,

And what's the room temperature ?? My RT-AX88U Pro is around 56°C idle and the room temperature is 20°C.
I find it weird that your router could be 10°C lower in the same conditions :oops:

Oh, you're running Merlin's firwmware right ? With some add-on ? For the temperature in the GUI, I mean.

My room temps are the same but my Router is also sitting on a laptop fan cooler.

And yes running merlin with a few adds on not as many as in my sig as I need to update that.

1701011964999.png

My room temps are the same but my Router is also sitting on a laptop fan cooler.

Ahhh that explains the temp :)
If you don't mind me my asking again, why do you have it ontop of a laptop fan cooler ?

And yes running merlin with a few adds on not as many as in my sig as I need to update that.

View attachment 54483

Which version are you using ? Again, out of curiosity. I'm running mine with the Asus stock firmware, the latest. 3.0.0.6.102_21514-g9affda2_136-g5d23c
So far, 4 days, solid :)

What user experience improvement you've got >CAD300 later and after the change from 1Gbps to 1.5Gbps ISP line?
AX88U Pro cost me $279 and going to sell the AX88U for $200 CAD so cost to upgrade about $80.

And moving up to the faster fiber connection for the same cost was a no brainer didn't cost me anything extra so I said why not.

As for user experience the extra bit of upload will help when i'm sending stuff to work but pretty much the same.

Which version are you using ? Again, out of curiosity. I'm running mine with the Asus stock firmware, the latest. 3.0.0.6.102_21514-g9affda2_136-g5d23c
So far, 4 days, solid

Just noticed something I didn't expect to see between these two models: The LED status light arrangement. The 86 has indicators for each Ethernet port (which I like), but the huge 88 does not. Odd.

Then, even though WPS has been on the do-not-use list like the day after it was invented, both models have a dedicated WPS light! (The older models, AC68x anyway, didn't have a WPS light.)

Last edited:
Just noticed something I didn't expect to see between these two models: The LED status light arrangement. The 68 has indicators for each Ethernet port (which I like), but the huge 88 does not. Odd.

Then, even though WPS has been on the do-not-use list like the day after it was invented, both models have a dedicated WPS light! (The older models, AC68x anyway, didn't have a WPS light.)
WPS is used to set up AiMesh. Even if you turn it off it will go on for the WIFI setup of AiMesh.

WPS is used to set up AiMesh. Even if you turn it off it will go on for the WIFI setup of AiMesh.

Thanks bbunge for confirming this. Assume this works the same way on XT-8 system. Don't setup AiMesh often, but good to know.

Due wonder -- The ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 6 for the XT-8 (Ver 2) uses the WPS button. Hate to assume (we all know what that does) but must think the hard reset uses the physical switch contact instead of anything in firmware during a hard reset. So turning WPS off should just improve security with little (no) impact to normal daily operation.

EDIT - Hope this is OK here. Not trying to hijack the thread since it's about the RT-AX88U Pro vs RT-AX86U.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!